Experience with Hagerty Insurance? | FerrariChat

Experience with Hagerty Insurance?

Discussion in '360/430' started by dwe8922, Apr 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    For those with Hagerty Insurance, what has been your experience, especially in the case of a claim? I am considering to switching to them from my traditional policy with USAA, for the specialty cars.

Thanks!

2. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    I have a 1984 Mercedes insured by Hagerty. Was hit in the rear a few years ago and Hagerty was great. Curious to know how their rates are on a Ferrari.

3. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I am a long term early adopter for Hagerty.

I have also had experience with them with a substantial claim several years ago. I would state that Hagerty is a asset to the automotive community & anyone should not hesitate to do business with them.

I currently have five (5) cars with them & feel well taken care of. Additionally their on-line material, magazine and consistent sponsorship of many automotive events keeps me coming back. A+

4. MKTViper

MKTViper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2018
    Swan Point MD
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Mind if I ask why you'd leave USAA? I've been with them for over 30 years and have only had maybe a couple experiences that weren't excellent with them. For context, my insurance claim highlights include an apartment fire, stolen Lexus SUV and a totaled minivan. USAA was really outstanding for all of them.

5. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    I have had USAA since I began driving, and only recently had my first ever claim for a broken windshield. It was for my wife's yukon denali, and they fought me tooth and nail to have OEM glass replaced for a 1 year old truck. They eventually agreed, but that has soured me a little, and I really think I should be in an agreed value policy for my collectible cars. There is also some savings in switching. My parent's experience with USAA has been excellent though.

6. HNL29

HNL29 Rookie

Jun 16, 2013
    Pittsburgh PA
    Agree on Hagerty 100%. I have all of my toy cars insured thru them and they’ve been great & competitive. Their magazine is also the best automotive magazine in the game right now (coming from a long term subscriber to things like C&D, Forza, Panorama, etc.).

7. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I have Hagerty and I needed a windshield replaced on a pretty rare car. The cost for the reproduction windshield, shipping of windshield to me in Michigan and labor to take the old windshield out and put the new one came to well over $3,500. I figured my rate would jump quite a bit for this upcoming year but to my surprise, it stayed exactly the same.

The claims process really couldn't have been any easier either and I was able to have my Ferrari dealer (I work for one) handle the repair (even though it was not a Ferrari being repaired) As long as I have a rare or collector car I will likely always have Hagerty. They really do an outstanding job.

8. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Hagerty quoted me $4500/yr for my 458, State Farm is just under $2900 for same (high $$$) coverage.

9. treynor

treynor Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Like others have posted: Excellent experience with Hagerty in both customer service and claims, we have had all our "upscale" cars insured with them for a decade now.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think Hagerty great reputation for service, but consistently people who shop around their rates 50-100% higher. I'm with AIG, they acquired one of the other classic car insurers years ago.

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Same here, Hagerty has a wonderful reputation, and is definitely supportive of the car community, but their prices are commensurate. I asked for a quote, and it was double what I am paying for a similar "agreed value" policy with Grundy Worldwide. I have used Grundy for 20 years and made two claims, including a total, and they have great service throughout.

12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Regardless of whom you choose, an "agreed value" policy is the only way to go on a specialty car. This has been emphasized in "Sports Car Market" magazine's "legal side" column repeatedly over the past couple decades I have been a subscriber. They cover all the ins and outs of insurance policies and give examples of various legal cases and so many times, an "agreed value" policy would have saved time, and money in a settlement. These policies are often less than a regular policy as well, as these cars are not typically used as a daily driver.

Flea7 and rob lay like this.