430 - Normal guy 430 fire | FerrariChat

430 Normal guy 430 fire

Discussion in '360/430' started by one4torque, Apr 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque

appreciate the transparency....

Crazy the c coating caught fire!

I bet that was a code brown moment.

psych0hans and VAF84 like this.
  2. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Need to check out the video. I saw when it caught fire, but hadn't seen the video after he figures out what caused it. Luckily, whatever it was, he was able to drive it back. I initially thought it was the fuel pumps, but then realized he wouldn't have been able to drive it back if that was the cause. Can't believe his luck that it happened on the day it was supposed to sell. Then again, it was probably a blessing in disguise. Would have been awful publicity it if happened to the buyer.

3. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I think he was rushing to get the auction done and create content at the same time concurrently. It is a learning experience for Dan as this is the first time he is doing the car flip thing.

I personally would have finished the car before I started the auction since I wouldn't be confident the description wouldn't change (i.e. what parts have to be changed or upgraded) and the lead time to get things. For example he discovered he needed a new window switch and had to locate one since most of the suppliers aren't shipping or have them in stock. He he didn't get lucky to find one in time, he could have been caught up in the pay any price to get something quickly issue. Not something I'd be comfortable with. Heck I've been waiting for 2 months to get an OEM GPS antenna for my car from Italy.

FYI: I'm a fan of Dan "Normal Guy Supercar" and to be honest would have never considered a Ferrari without watching his channel. I most likely would have ordered a new Porsche instead. I don't regret the decision.

Cheers,
    Corey

psych0hans, ditpixs, kiryu and 2 others like this.
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    already being discussed in one of the header threads

5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Thx tt- I bet mr Dan does not mind the channel exposure. Super nice enthusiast.

psych0hans, VAF84 and Mighty Joe like this.
  6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh i enjoy his vids - only comment wld be he cld be a bit more to the poin

psych0hans likes this.
  7. goto35march

goto35march Karting

Jul 23, 2009
    question is how much is the fire f430 worth.

my guess wont pass 70k. and i wouldnt even touch it for that personally

8. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I agree it could scare some people away and impact the price, but he was very transparent about everything. How many of these cars have had something go “wrong” that is never disclosed? Keep in mind, the title is clean and it will be a sorted car in the end. So if the price is impacted someone will be getting a screaming deal.

psych0hans and VAF84 like this.
  9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i dont know alot about the car - what year is it? miles?
    that fire shldnt impact price - nothing wrong with the car. if the headers were installed out of the box with no coating there wld have been no fire. its not hard to prove all the local plumbing wasnt impacted or can be replaced.

psych0hans likes this.
  10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I would have a cert shop inspect it post fire and doc good bill of health as a cya.

Sue happy USA could attribute future issues related or not to this.

also be sure to paper up the transaction.... as is where is...

seller should be llc.. etc

I’m sure he’s got it covered.

psych0hans likes this.
  11. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    If I never see another NGSC video again, I'll be ok. It was probably done purposefully just for vid content. Enough already.

Dicecal and Flea7 like this.
  12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    when he first notices the smoke/fire that was my first thought as well. he looked way to calm. and later he tries to explain his lack of reaction.

13. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Even though I’d never heard of ceramic coating failures leading to fires (though I’ve never looked it up), I doubt it was on purpose. Also, I’ve met him a handful of times and his reaction doesn’t seem outside of his usual personality. Probably what I would have done. First disbelief, then trying to hold your **** together long enough to pull over. Then remembering you’re videoing the whole thing, and trying to keep your composure.

I know sometimes he has to sensationalize things a bit, but it’s the only way to drive traffic to his channel. Personally, not into the YouTube strategies a lot of creators use, but completely agree that Dan’s DIY videos not only help those who work on their cars, but they help buoy our F430 values as they age by showing future buyers on the fence that ownership by the average guy is possible.

14. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Agree va.

a u tuber who buoys 360 prices is ratarossa. His diy takes the veil off of f car self mech work.

15. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I couldn't bring myself to watch the vid. Enough people have posted about it that I don't feel the need to.

16. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    If he had it insured, why not just let them handle it? We all know what they would have done.

17. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Big fan of NGSC. I wouldn’t have bought my 430 without his videos. Showed me that I can DIY most maintenance. Need more people as helpful as him.

18. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Why not if the flames didn´t cause any damage? Every used car has a story that´s not disclosed. Even yours.

psych0hans likes this.
  19. dz22

dz22 Rookie

The car sold via his auction for $88k, I believe. I can hardly doubt that the small fire would cause the price of an otherwise great car to drop $18k in value. My guess is that when the auction goes live again and closes, the car will have sold for $85k if not more. It was already a deal at $88k.

More so, I've watched his videos for years, and he doesn't seem like a click bait kind of content creator. My two cents.

Marcoboxer, psych0hans and Apollo 11 like this.
  20. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I would just get it checked by a qualified expert. If fuel lines were torched briefly by flash fire I would not want risk of heat treat effects and a future failure. Whether it is attributed to the fire or not the incident raises question.

if my personal car I would prob just drive it... but on a sale better to be safe.

21. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    I cant find an online resume of qualifications (with a quick cursory google search) for American wheel pros in Austin who did the coating...
    Weird.

22. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    The car didn't sell for $88k, that was that was the high bid but things like this usually have a bunch of bids come in at the end.

23. dz22

dz22 Rookie

Ah, that's right, bidding was halted. Nonetheless, I still would estimate the car to sell for above $90k.

24. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Right. I should have said that was the high bid before he had to cancel the auction. I do expect it to go above 90K or even 100k. It's an 08 and has both the driving zone and lower cabin in carbon fiber, both expensive and very desirable options that make the car very exotic in look and feel. If you tried to add those to an existing car, it would be very cost prohibitive.

dz22 likes this.
  25. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Guess the current rumor is All American Wheel Pros that was supposed to ceramic coat the headers ended up actually powder coating them? Gawd... How does a screw up this huge happen...?
    Sounded strange to me that a Wheel company also did ceramic coating for headers...shrugs.

psych0hans likes this.