Planning a Trip to Monoco Grand Prix - advice appreciated | FerrariChat

Planning a Trip to Monoco Grand Prix - advice appreciated

Discussion in 'F1' started by SoCal to az, Apr 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    A group of us are considering going to Monoco next year for the race. Planning on staying on one of the boats parked next to the race track.
    Has anyone done this? Is it worth it or better to find a hotel? This would be my first trip to Monoco/ any suggestion and advice would be greatly appreciated.

If the boat is not ideal, any hotel suggestions? We want to go high end, full luxury and do it to the nines.

thank you!

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I was under the impression that all those bigger boats are privately owned by seriously rich people.

OH, BTW, bring lots of money.

3. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    The really big boats don't fit in the harbour so they are usually parked outside ;)

Thread from last year discussing the berthing costs https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f1-monaco-yacht-docking.602136/

The Captain of AWOL (charter costs around €110,000~/week) did a vlog last year @ Monaco GP :)

4. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

Appreciate it. But I don’t have a boat there. Was just curious about costs on a boat vs staying at a hotel.

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    email the fairmont in monaco. we stayed there. expensive but right in the heart of the action. the race track runs under it.

6. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    There have been a few users that have stayed @ Hotels/Yachts during the race weekend just gotta wait for them to post :)

Most of the track side viewing yachts require Hotel accommodation. (senate gp is one of the official agents).
    https://www.senategrandprix.com/Race-Viewing-Monaco/Monaco-Yacht
    https://www.senategrandprix.com/Monaco-Grand-Prix-Packages/Trackside-Yacht-37m

https://amber-lounge.com/monaco-yacht/

If you want to charter a private yacht you will need to speak to a broker. Trackside you looking at least $50k for 4-5 nights. (Port closes on Wed till Sun).

7. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I recall a user watching the race track side on a yacht a few years ago but I can't find the thread :| :oops:

This screenshot from a few years ago, there are a few smaller boats near the end you might be able to charter for a more reasonable price.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Am I crazy for thinking that's actually reasonable

SoCal to az likes this.
  9. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    You may have more luck with searching for previous experience if you try going to Monaco not Monoco !

10. SPEEDCORE

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    If your super rich then you will be stung buy dont do it is my advice, hotels are much more reasonable along the coast in France, we stayed in Nice and got the bus or train. Travelling into monaco is relatively easy and well organised.

Buy the best seat you can afford as the race is over very quickly, my first visit was in the public area and was useless without binoculars, easier to watch on TV, fortunately we moved and got into St Devote for free when all the journalists had vacated the area mid race. They only want the 1st race lap smash up! You dont see much as the track and viewing is poor. I did it twice and havent bothered since, much better tracks elsewhere imo.

Take a leaf out of the travelling Italians, they bring their own tables, chairs, wine, cooking facilities & pasta and anything else they can squeeze in a fiat 500, i never knew how much could be got into one.

Dont forget the tourist tax and especially the GP tax put on .......everything, it makes a beer or pepsi eye watering expensive. Forget eating out on race day, one guy paid £30 for a ham rolll, and that was 1993 !!

12. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I started going to Monaco for the GP in 1992, and have returned every year since. Sadly, COVID-19 has preempted my 28th visit next month.
    If you do a search of the F1 section of FChat you'll find that I've written about this pretty extensively.
    I tried to cover a wide array of topics relating to the race, but I'm sure I've left things out. Read through my posts, and then feel free to reach out for questions not addressed therein.

13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    will do. thank you.

14. Yachts are definitely for rent.

Last time I was there, there was one that you could get for 1,000,000€ a week. Fully staffed.

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    lol- not spending a million bucks for a week. Looking at all options

16. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    You did say there wasn't much of a budget, so......:)

m5shiv likes this.