FF Gear Box Issues/ Replacement !! | FerrariChat

FF Gear Box Issues/ Replacement !!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by majid sultan, Feb 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. majid sultan

majid sultan Rookie

Oct 16, 2019
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    majid sultan
    Hi all,

I have been going through a rough time with my FF. I had a leak on the rear gearbox, while my car was under warranty. The dealership has informed me that the leaks are not under warranty, while it was the same time that I had to renew the warranty. i could not renew it because they told me that it would cost around $20k to $23k dollars to have it fixed, which then will be able to renew.
    so i went to the other way of fixing the leak elsewhere, which lead to not being able to get an extended warranty.
    I drove the car for a month, i suddenly get some errors (maniteno error, diff error, gearbox sign, engine control system failure, go to dealer) and some more.
    the gearbox then just went on even gears. starting from gear 2, then goes to 4th then 6th gear. leaving all the odd gears out.
    on a start from 0km/h, the car jumps and the clutched do not seem that they are engaging properly.
    i took it back to the garage. the only option was to replace the gearbox. I have found a good condition used gearbox and having it fixed now for around $15k.
    after replacing the gearbox, the car still has a maniteno error and does not go over 40km/h. the garage is now going to replace one of the modules that transmits the gearbox and maniteno which will fix this issue.
    my concern is that i do not want to sell the car but it seems to now be not feasible for me to go through these issues again, and dont know if i really should sell the car or keep it and not know what is going to happen next - since i dont have an extended warranty.

2. Autohaus of Boston

BANNED

Sep 11, 2017
    20 Mill lane Braintree MA 02184
    Full Name:
    Mr.Ferrari
    I am sorry you had to replace the Gearbox all you needed was to replace a faulty speed sensor with updated oil resistance zip ties.Also performed a marriage software download your Gearbox with NCR ECU.

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    awful to hear about these troubles. unfortunately, i dont have any advice but i hope it can get worked out for you
    good luck and please keep us posted

4. majid sultan

majid sultan Rookie

Oct 16, 2019
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    majid sultan
    Thanks for the reply.

however i still had to replace the clutches of the car because the fault seemed like it had come from the clutch. the car has now over 60k KM, so it was about time to replace the clutch. the thing is if you open the housing and remove the clutch and replace, there is now way to get seals that will actually do its job. this is when ferrari will tell you to replace the gearbox because the parts to close it up again can not be found elswhere.

I am just about to fix up the speed sensors and also the marriage software so the errors can dissapear and so i can drive the car normally.

lets see what happens!

5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    You know that Exoticars have getrag trained guys who can fully rebuild FF gearboxes? They get sent them from all over the world for rebuilds, as (unsurprisingly) they’re a lot cheaper than replacement gearboxes. Be a lot more reliable that 2nd hand replacements too. Plus you get to retain the originality of the car by having the same gearbox that the car came from the factory with.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

majid sultan likes this.
  6. majid sultan

majid sultan Rookie

Oct 16, 2019
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    majid sultan
    where can I find this place?

7. Autohaus of Boston

BANNED

Sep 11, 2017
    20 Mill lane Braintree MA 02184
    Full Name:
    Mr.Ferrari
    I am a factory trained Ferrari technician with over 30 years experience, factory training on all dual clutch GETRAG GEARBOX on all models from 2009 Ferrari California to the latest models including the La Ferrari.

Please visit our website Autohaus of Boston.com or on Facebook and Instagram or here on Ferrarichat.

8. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
  9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    are you sure you initially had leak in the gearbox and NOT the PTU? it sounds like they replaced your PTU and you were left with the DCT issue. The DCT issue at a dealer in the USA is $7 to 9K. PTU rebuild shld be like $10 to 12K i think. There is a big PTU thread in the FF forum in case you haven't seen it.
    good luck!