Educate me on PPF, Ceramic coating and Paint Correction | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Educate me on PPF, Ceramic coating and Paint Correction

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by buddyg, Apr 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CrapsLuckyDice

CrapsLuckyDice Karting

Apr 28, 2019
    NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Really depends. Most people would clear bra the high impact areas like the front and sides of the car where rocks kick up the most. It saves the most money to get that done. However, if you have lots of carbon fiber probably would be best to also just PPF the whole entire car. Afterwards, whether you want to apply ceramic coating on top is entirely up to you.

Additionally, don't forget to clear bra the front windshield! Cost about 1-2k but well worth it since it protects against expensive chips.

Avia11 likes this.
  2. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks everyone. There is a lot of carbon on my speciale including the rear diffuser, maybe clear bra for the entire car is a good idea before the ceramic coat. thanks!

Lagunae92 and PTG1 like this.
  3. Corraldmd

Corraldmd Rookie

Jun 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Anthony Corral
    couldnt agree more, don't even know how these cars come out with not perfect paint but they mostly need paint correction. Ceramic gives it the dripping wet look

4. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Beautiful with the Speciale wheels!

MK11 and PTG1 like this.
  5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I have done 4 windshield’s, 2 with ClearPlex, and, most recently, 2 with Exoshield. I have never spent more than $500 installed. And yes, windshield protection is worth the investment and will likely save you heartache down the road. FWIW, I prefer Exoshield. https://www.getexoshield.com/exoshield

MK11 likes this.
  6. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
    Good to know about Exoshield. My experience with ClearPlex was some sticking of the wipers.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Thecadster likes this.
  7. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Do you know if this will cover some small imperfections such as pitting from previous unprotected use?

How does this work at night? Are there any vision changes?

thanks

8. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I had some pock marks on my 2005 Ford GT when I recently had the Exoshield installed. I didn’t think to look closely to see how it turned out. Must not be that noticeable. I have driven about 500 miles since the I put the Exoshield put on. I’ll take a closer look the next time I am near the car, and then report back what I find.

DoubleD33 likes this.
  9. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Just got the 812 back from front PPF, full paint correction, and ceramic coating. Looks absolutely amazing! Pista getting full wrap and the rest. Surprised how many defects were in the paint. Some scratches were too deep to fix.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Shadowfax, MK11, PTG1 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    color much brighter. Gets dark when uploaded....any tips on uploading better quality?

11. lamontlawyer921

lamontlawyer921 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jul 1, 2010
    The West Coast
    Full Name:
    Scott
    just got this 2010 458. One owner, had no visible rock chips, did 2-step paint correction, PPF Xpel full front, and then full premium ceramic coating. It looks like showroom. The car had no PPF before, and I doubt any coating either. it's all worth the money, when you think about the % of the purchase price, as a small add on. had the wheels and calipers coated too. 2 coats on windshield as well. Going to wash for the first time in a couple of days, as it has now been 2 weeks for coating to "cure".
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thecadster and PTG1 like this.
  12. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    We’re you happy with the work there? That place is 10 mins from me.

13. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Looks awesome, congrats

14. eskanday

eskanday Karting

Jun 21, 2017
    If you want to protect your car and you get bothered by rock chips and scratches it is better to do PPF.
    When you only do the front of the car, the back will get scratched because of working on the car/ engine even if they use padding.
    My advise to do paint correction if there are swirl marks, then PPF at least for the front but better for the whole car then ceramic coating on the top to keep it clean.
    I did the whole car with PPF xpel for my 458 for 6k. The front only is about $2500. I did ceramic coating myself with Avalon King for 50$.

PTG1 likes this.
  15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Looks truly stunning dude. Love your line up. Great taste.

Lagunae92 and PTG1 like this.
  16. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Thanks! I appreciate that.

Dropped off the Pista and picked up the 812. First time seeing the two together. Now I’m even more confused as to Rosso Maranello be Rosso Fuoco! Ha. I’ll try to figure out how to post good comp pictures soon.

17. lamontlawyer921

lamontlawyer921 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jul 1, 2010
    The West Coast
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes. my buddy had his tesla done there and is anal as hell, and was happy, so i took my car there. Mike from there was kind enough to come to Southbay Ferrari before i even bought the car, to look at the paint condition. I would go there again. Polished Protection, Signal Hill.

Lagunae92 likes this.
  18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Do the whole car and ceramic IMO as I have. You cant imagine how rocks fly around. Make sure they lift the car and cover the painted parts or CF under also. Out of site doesn't mean out of mind. That's by far the section that will get hit the worst.

Also its not the cost its the installer

19. pexogoce

pexogoce Karting
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    pexogoce
    I am about to get my new RR in a few days. I plan to get PPF on the front end of the car. I am not sure about ceramic coating. To me, it is a bit of a hype but I may be wrong. I have never gotten ceramic coating on my previous cars. How come a little liquid provides extensive protection for the paint? It sounds too good to be true.

Melvok likes this.
  20. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I do extreme detailing, paint correction and ceramic coating for exotics and luxury cars as my side business for past 15 years (OCDetails and Coatings) and I’m shocked at some of the responses…. Some saying why bother to correct the paint (and BELIEVE ME, all paint needs correction straight out of the factory)- to say why bother cos you can’t really see it is like saying why clean under the bed since you probably won’t see it…. Weird. Anyway, yes, PPF will disguise/hide light swirls and even some light scratches but that doesn’t mean don’t correct it first. Don’t we want perfection on these types of cars? Additionally, other marring, stains, water spots, sanding marks, bird etching, bug etching etc etc NEED to come out prior to PPF— and finally, the gloss and reflection and depth of the paint is obtained by paint correction ONLY, not from applying PPF or even ceramic coating (this slightly raises gloss levels to already corrected paint however)— as for ceramic coating over the PPF, this is also the best idea. Why? Mostly for self cleaning properties, hydrophobic properties, UV protection and added gloss. The PPFs that claim to be already ceramic coated are quite weak and only last a year or so. And obviously the quality and performance of that coating is nothing compared to a proper professional grade coating applied correctly.

Furthermore, a high level job as I of course do, isn’t just the paint. I correct and ceramic coat ALL SURFACES including trim, plastics, rubbers, engine bay, interior leather and trims, wheels and even tires get a coating, not a dressing. Once this is completed, NOTHING will stick to the surfaces and it will stay clean and super easy to maintain for many years.

In short (too late) correct the F’ing paint always!! Whether you are applying PPF or not! Who the hell wants swirls, scratches, marring, stains and spots on their car???? Disgusting lol.

Texas Forever, SD455TA, jm2 and 2 others like this.
  21. iMrMark

iMrMark Karting

May 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I think the main objection raised regarding pre-ppf correction (that I’ve heard from a couple installers) is that when you’re doing full body ppf with Ceramic, the end result is based more on the installed product and the Ceramic. I get how that sounds and it seems reasonable that the result should be based on the underlying paint (who wants lipstick on a pig!), but I suspect this is where disagreement will come up from reputable installers.

If paint correction is done on the premise of top coat consistency, it seems folks can argue that properly applying ppf and then a new even top coat (ceramic) achieves the desired result. I’ve also heard the argument that upon removal of ppf, the underlying top coat will potentially need love any way, so “why bother” making it perfect just to destroy it. Not my words or own opinion just tossing it out there. I think the opposite is sensible too: make it perfect to give it the best chance of dealing with the ppf, color, etc… can be very confusing to the average person to know what’s actually best. Feedback from professionals like you is super helpful so thank you.

Maybe what we’re ultimately missing is someone who can come up with a good quantitative measurement solution and actually capture data from all approaches, then post and settle the debate. Any volunteers? :)

Or we simply do what feels right to us with an installer we trust, drive the car, love life, be happy :) this also seems quite reasonable!

22. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I hear what you’re saying and you’re right about PPF covering up some imperfections so why bother removing a swirl or scratch if you won’t see it… but the main point is not the correction of imperfections, it’s that the true gloss, depth, reflection and color comes from correcting the paint. And since PPF is transparent, that gloss shows through the PPF- so correcting prior to PPF will yield the best aesthetics- then ceramic over it is just to protect it and give it self cleaning properties.

After correction, the most common remark I get upon pickup from the client is, “wow, it looks like a different color!”— and this is true, even with whites, proper correction of the paint brings out the actual color and clarity.

23. pexogoce

pexogoce Karting
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2022
    Full Name:
    pexogoce
    really appreciate your suggestion. thank you so much

24. 05F430F1

05F430F1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2005
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    Full Name:
    Todd
    You're welcome.... I'm actually dealing with a perfect example of this with my new F8-- Just bought it last month and 'as a bonus', it was already completely wrapped with PPF (like a 8-12k job!)-- the PPf was installed quite well all around the car with the exception of just the hood-- so at first, I figured, ok, I'll redo the hood, I can live with that.... but THEN as I inspected the car, I noticed the rear quarters and spoiler and much of the roof had terrible water spots, staining and bird splatter.... again, I was optimistic as you can actually polish and correct PPF (to some degree with proper technique, products and pads)... I figured, ok, fine I have no problem buffing the whole car and get it perfect since I'll enjoy it anyway... but, you guessed it.... while some of the spots and stains were in the PPF and I was able to get them out, MUCH of the spots, light swirls and stains are in the f'ing paint and they PPF'ed right over it.... such a shame because the install was quite good as I said. I just can't fathom why they'd do such a proper install OVER unperfected paint.... so now my only choices are to live with the remaining spots etc that can be seen in sunlight or proper indoor lighting or remove the PPF, correct it and reapply new PPF..... so much for my 'bonus' value in the car.