Phone Q's: BlackBerry vs. Texting | FerrariChat

Phone Q's: BlackBerry vs. Texting

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Schatten, Nov 15, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Anyone use BlackBerry services? What is the difference between BlackBerry services and just normal Texting messages to others? This has nothing to do with the phone itself: i.e. - the BlackBerry has a keyboard - other Palm/PocketPC phones that have Texting enabled have keypads and/or stylus interfaces. I'm just curious why someone would pick one over the other.

And yes, I know the BB service costs a nice penny, but this is work related - and the company would pay for it, impliment it among several individuals, etc.

2. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Blackberry is the only way to go, typing even a short message into a cell phone will drive you crazy. Also, BB's use radio frequency so you don't need to be close to a tower to get reception, in some areas you'll get BB coverage but no cell. The BB server at work is connected to the Exchange server, so all email goes to both machines and my contacts and calendar are automagically downloaded in the BB. I have the new BB that includes a cell phone, they are the blue ones you're starting to see around, it's very good.

Everyone here that has one has become addicted to the technology.

Almost forgot the most important feature- there's a web browser- F-Chat anywhere!!

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    my wife HATES my crack berry!
    it is addicting...typing on a phone sucks.

4. 98wahoo

98wahoo Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    i would look at the treo 600 before you invest in a bb...you can get the same enterprise setup with instant e-mail, sms, unlimited web browsin (on sprint), etc etc etc. the treo is available on sprint, cingular, and att&t networks.

for info and reviews: handspring.com, treocentral.com and mobileburn.com

5. prohydro

prohydro Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Also, look at the TMobile Sidekick (www.hiptop.com) as an alternative. I chose this over the Blackberry. While the blackberry handles corporate email better, if you are only pulling from a POP3 server, the sidekick handles that just fine. I currently have it pulling two POP3 accounts to it, and then I just set up a profile in it to send email from my work email (behind a firewall) account. Typing is simple, texting is great, surfing the web is smooth.

6. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    For Corporate, RIM is the way to go. I didn't and still don't like the lack of loudspeaker paging capability and don't like to use a headset or ear bud. If you don't have these two complaints, it does everything well, phone, messaging, web, contact maintenance and finally has a backlit keyboard. I'm on the 200/mo unlimited plan and I'm never without it.

Also, its as light as a cell phone, possibly lighter!

Sunny

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    thanks for the responses.

currently we have an exchange server at work, so the BB unit which connects to exchange would be quite nice and extremely useful. this would be not the stand alone BB but the integrated phone unit as well.

years ago I had the Motorola T250 - I believe that is what it was if the model # is correct. It was one of the first CDPD/TDMA phones. the typing on it was well.. slightly painful but intuitive, in that it would learn the words that you type as you type along. slick stuff and I just hope that the units have similar AI to them.

btw, looks like the tower we are having installed on the building is from AT&T, since there is no current cell coverage in the area, this will be our only option.