575 Maranello Question | FerrariChat

575 Maranello Question

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Light Douth, Apr 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Light Douth

Light Douth Rookie

Apr 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Light Douth
    I recently had the pleasure of purchasing a 575 2003 with 8100 miles on it. About to have it transported to California. What a rolling work of art.
    Due to local law regulations in LA, I must affix a license plate on the front. (&^%$#@!) If i don't anywhere I park the car will gt tickets like confetti.

Am wondering if anyone else has had to attach a front plate. ANd where did they do it? I don't want to cover the prancing horse or the grille. But it needs to be done or move out of state.

Has anyone else dealt with this issue? And if so what were the solutions.

Many thanks!

2. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Moved to appropriate forum section.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
  4. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    There are some plate brackets that temporarily attach to the grill. For my 550, I ordered the OEM licence plate brackets (for 575, p/n 66087600 and 66087500) and rivets and attached my front plate in the middle low enough to not block the grill too much and not too low as to scrape on the ground over speed bumps and driveways. If you need to install a front plate, it's the best way. Solid, nothing moves, and looks stock (yes, it looks better without). I first tried a mount that attached to the tow hook location, but to me it looked stupid with the plate off to the side. There is little to no chance where I live I will ever not need the front plate, so I didn't mind drilling 4 holes. If Ontario by some miracle ever gets rid of the front plate requirement, and I want to remove the plate and brackets, no big deal to fill the 4 holes and paint the bumper. Same if I ever want to sell the car, I'll fill the holes and paint the bumper, it will need it because of stone chips anyways. I'm including a photo of how it looks now mounted with OEM brackets and how it looked originally mounted to the tow hook.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I’ve had multiple cars with no front license plate and only got 2 tickets in 5 years. I still recommend you do it but it’s not that urgent.

6. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #6 NE550, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    In my state of Nebraska we normally have two license plates issued when we register a vehicle. But we are fortunate to have three single plate options, too.

First, we can get a regular license plate and, in addition to the regular annual registration fee, pay an extra $100 fee for a windshield sticker that replaces the front plate. Otherwise, it is a normal vehicle registration and there are no vehicle usage restrictions.

Second, and this is what I have for my 550, we can get a "Special Interest" registration which comes with is only one "Special Interest" labeled plate for the rear of the car, plus a window sticker. You pay an annual renewal fee and the caveat is that you are not allowed to drive the car "for daily transportation to work or for commercial purposes." The car can be driven for pleasure, in parades, shows, etc. Don't ask me how they enforce this...basically they don't. I've yet to hear of anyone getting ticketed for driving their special interest plated car to work or the store.

Third, if the car is 25 years or older we can get a "Vintage" license plate which comes with one plate and is similar to the the Special Interest plate described above, except they allow you to use (if you want to) an actual old plate from the year or era in which your car was made. So, for example, I have an old 1969 plate on my '70 Porsche 911. Otherwise they issue you a new "vintage" labeled plate. One advantage of the vintage plate is that you only pay a one-time registration fee, and you are not allowed to use the car for daily transportation or commercial purposes; only for pleasure, shows, parades, etc. Again, enforcement is questionable and I've not heard of anyone being ticketed for "mis-using" their vintage-plated vintage car.

308 GTB likes this.
  7. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru

Any pictures of your new ride you can share??

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
  9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Yes, Terry. That's the current solution.

Years ago, a FerrariChat member offered his original version, called the Plate-Clip, for sale on his website. I ordered his prototypes for my 550 and F355 Challenge...

10. Roadking

Roadking Karting

Oct 9, 2005
    Just say "NO"!

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Or move to a state with no front license plate requirement. There are 19 of them. Luckily the last two states where my 575M resided did not require front plates.

12. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    wow ....400 miles a year

now you can fix that :) and enjoy every second !

13. gstudent

gstudent Karting

Sep 12, 2006
    Westlake Village
    Full Name:
    Gene
    I live in Southern California and have no front license plate and have never gotten a ticket. I keep the front plate behind the passenger seat and on the odd occasion where i have been pulled over for speeding when the plate issue comes up the police have always let it fly. Besides i think it is just a 25.00 fix it ticket

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    308 GTB likes this.