Do anyone know about the oldest surviving Ferrari ? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Do anyone know about the oldest surviving Ferrari ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Sellatease, Feb 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    One of the really oldest road going Ferraris in the world is 005 S.
    A 166 Inter Coupé Aerlux by Carrozzeria Touring. In 1989 the factory bought this car back from the fifth owner Marco Antonetto in Torino.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

rob lay, of2worlds and readplays like this.
  2. mvagusta750

mvagusta750 Rookie

Feb 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    WAYNE COLVILLE
    Been for a fast ride in it . Awesome car and owners

of2worlds, tomc and readplays like this.
  3. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    tomc, BJK and miurasv like this.
  4. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    We saw this on The Car Guy Tour, Frank Mandarano. https://www.carguytour.com/about/frank-bio/

I don't think there could be a better tour for car guys and gals. Better go while you can.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Is this also the same car I saw in the Ferrari museum in Maranello two years ago, or was that a recreation?

6. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    The factory has one that looks just like the Willbanks 1C. It's a 125 Sport recreation built by Dino Cognolato in IIRC 1987.

miurasv likes this.
  7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Yes, and it uses chassis number "90125" and in the very beginning (1987) was temporarily equipped with an OPEL engine, to make it driveable asap for the F40 promotional movie, and thereafter recreated a Ferrari engine and installed it.

Marcel Massini

Rossocorsa1, miurasv and readplays like this.
  8. bertdeboer340

bertdeboer340 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert de Boer
    tomc and Boudewijn like this.
  9. bertdeboer340

bertdeboer340 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert de Boer
  10. bertdeboer340

bertdeboer340 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert de Boer
  11. 993cc

993cc Rookie

Apr 11, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    A bit over-restored. The charm in such an early Ferrari would be in having lots of patina.. but who am I to judge!

12. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Looked pretty darn nice from where I was standing.

Solid State likes this.
  13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Although I'm not old enough to have seen this (and older) era cars when they were new, but general sense & evidence I've gathered by researching/studying all types of 50+ years old vintage cars in past 4+ decades, I'd say vast majority of completely restored cars, especially rare and high value collectibles are "over-restored", some more than others.

OTOH, it should be expected since the time and resource allowances to do the restoration are often much more significant than those of their original construction, not to mention expectations.

14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I have no issues with “over restoration”, although I don’t necessarily prescribe to that term. These cars are remarkable pieces of art. I prefer to visually enjoy them in their idyllic state.

15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    As do most people and there’s nothing wrong with that, but I am and have always (or 40+ years in this hobby) been saddened to see so (too) many great cars reduced to a life of static (idyllic ?) display, instead of living the life on the road they were built and intended for.
    Race-only type of cars being put to pasture I can sort of understand after they loose their competitiveness.

16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    A multi million dollar car is a lot to risk with the chance that someone my rear ended you or, even worse, crash on a track. I can understand owners apprehension.

17. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #69 TTR, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Well, that's what insurance is for and keeps repair/restoration shops in business.

Besides, I believe if one has those kinds of concerns/worries owning cars, it more often than not seem to be an indication an owner being... a) financially overstretched... b?) investor/speculator (i.e. not a true car guy/gal/enthusiast)... c) perhaps both... or ???

Not to mention, in 40+ years I've heard same "excuses" from countless "owners" of 5 or even 4 figure cars and my aforementioned assessment has always seem to ring true with those too.

I admittedly have never owned a multi or even single million* dollar car, so my perception could possibly change if I did, but I certainly hope not.

*Had an "opportunity" of sorts once, but it was one of those "hindsight is 20-20" things, you know buy it now for 10K and wait 20 years... Some financial upside was predictable, but I just didn't care to own a car like that, even though it was 1 of 9 originally made.
    Spent the money on something else that I owned for 20 years and drove nearly 100K miles and sold it for 4 times the money I paid.

lgs and readplays like this.