Bellhousing trouble TR | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bellhousing trouble TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Testerosse, Apr 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Testerosse likes this.
  2. Testerosse

Testerosse Rookie

Nov 3, 2017
    Italy or Germany
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Kroil isn’t readily available in Europe. I’ll order it and see.

I’ll also get a torch and see. I was afraid to damage the housing with it. That’s why I didn’t try that yet.

However, I would think the bolts would be free by now.

Car was in storage and didn’t run since 2016 when the previous owner did the last major.

3. Testerosse

Testerosse Rookie

Nov 3, 2017
    Italy or Germany
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Thank you for the pictures. I think the shaft is either frozen to the clutch to the bearing. This would also explain why the housing does not move at all at the center but flexes a bit on the perimeter.

Is there any other way to get to it? Taking off the gear does not get me anywhere, does it?

4. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    Take off the clutch bolts one by one through the air gap. There’s six of them. Should come out if that’s what’s holding it in.

turbo-joe and Testerosse like this.
  5. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Wow, that's a tough one. I can't see any way to get penetrating oil past the pressure plate and directly to the splines given the limited access through the bell housing openings. Maybe just keep spraying, wait a day, tap on the housing and repeat.
    That is a lot of rust in your photo. This makes more sense knowing the car sat for 4 years. These cars were made to run, not sit for years.

Testerosse likes this.
  6. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

ACF 50 is another good corrosion penetrant to try as well and is widely used in the aircraft industry.

Testerosse likes this.
  7. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Can you get to all of them through the gaps?

8. Testerosse

Testerosse Rookie

Nov 3, 2017
    Italy or Germany
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Do you mean the bolts at the bearing assembly? That will be difficult to reach...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Gary Sandberg

Veedub00 means the six nuts that hold the pressure plate in place. Only the clutch discs have splines and the clutch shaft is reduced in size to fit into the pilot bushing. Removing the pressure plate nuts will allow everything to slide out.

Testerosse and turbo-joe like this.
  10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as I see it I think the splined shaft is rusted to the clutch disc or the pilot bearing.
    so try to loosen and remove all the six 8 mm screws that hold the pressure plate to the flywheel ( as james suggested already ) . if then stil have problem the splined shaft is rusted into the center bearing in the crankshaft. or the clutch disks are also rusted together with the pressure plate, the intermediate disc and the flywheel. it looks very rusty. so picture in post 21 with the blue tensioning belt shows right how to remove the housing. give pressure on and also take a plastic hammer and knock on the spline shaft. knocking sometimes under pressure causes wonders.
    you also may use at the section where this blue tension belt is outside the housing 2 wedges to give a little pressure on. not to much pressure. otherwise may be the housing will get destroyed. if you would need an other one let me know, still have. then knock with the plastic hammer on the splined shaft.
    good luck

Testerosse likes this.
  11. Gary Sandberg

As turbo-joe said, remove the pressure plate nuts (and I bow to all those who have much more experience than I with these cars, but in my case the nuts are 13 mm). The design changes over the production run are quite amazing.

Once the pressure plate and clutch discs are free, it should come away freely - unless it is seized to the pilot bushing. If needed, I can't say how much room you have to push the clutch assembly back towards the transfer gears, but perhaps there is enough room to get a spray nozzle in there to put in some penetrant. On the other hand, make sure everything is aligned and pull. Pilot bushings are quite easy to replace.

I'm very interested in this whole process as I have only had my TR since last June and am somewhat learning vicariously thropugh your expereince as well.

Testerosse likes this.
  12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    Testerosse likes this.
  13. Gary Sandberg

No es una problema....and not to create one, but if I need to replace a bolt, then yes, the thread diameter is paramount. On the other hand, for removal of nuts, the head measurement is what I need to select the right wrench or socket.

Saludos.

Testerosse likes this.
  14. Gary Sandberg

Anyway, I thought we were here to help someone with a bellhouse removal problem. Not to argue over semantics.

15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    every european mechanic knows that a 8 mm bolt has a 13 mm head ( or a 6 mm allen head ), except japanese, they have 12 mm
    and when you order bolts you order them by diameter and not by head size.

only to make this clear. also there is no 13 mm bolt available, except special made

but right: back to the bellhousing remove: had success alraedy?

16. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Testerosse likes this.
  17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    there is no need to warm the housing because it is loose as I read here all

Testerosse and vincenzo like this.
  18. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    make 3 little machinist jack screws and put them in the air vents and just jack around one thread at a time.

Testerosse likes this.
  19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    how does those screws look? picture? never heard about this, may be the translator not work right?

Testerosse likes this.
  20. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James

turbo-joe and Testerosse like this.
  21. Testerosse

Testerosse Rookie

Nov 3, 2017
    Italy or Germany
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Thank you all!

It’s really great to have a community like this.

I won’t be able to work on the car till Saturday. Today I only had an hour and I spend it mostly with applying a WD40 alternative and removing bolts.

No luck so far. But I’ll keep you in the loop about what happens Saturday.

22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you for this link james
    but I not understand how this would work to remove the bellhousing? where you put this?

23. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
  24. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    This is 1-1/8” long. Add in 3/8” for the head of a bolt. Go smaller if needed to stay within your gap.

Slip in a fender washer at each end to prevent marring and distribute the load.

Use caution. This will exert significant load. Don’t snap off a chunk of the housing.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    and where on the other side james?