Immobiliser Fault - need experts advice | FerrariChat

Immobiliser Fault - need experts advice

Discussion in '360/430' started by furrari7, May 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. furrari7

furrari7 Rookie

May 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Tom Wall
    Hi, im new here and have arrived after googling for solutions to my immobiliser problems on a 360 which im hoping someone can help with. So let me start off by explaining this ongoing nightmare...

2003 Ferrari 360 F1, everything is going well but then for health reasons car is parked up for the next 2 years.
    After 2 years i come back to the 360 expecting it will start up with no problems but battery is dead so i just go down the road and buy a brand new battery and install it. I press the remote fob to turn off immobiliser (i have all 3 fobs and they all work perfectly) and it does, i turn ignition on and notice the red immobilser security led to the right comes on for approx 5 seconds which is normal and then goes out ready to start, but WAIT, now i notice the red immobiliser security led has just come back on again after another 2 seconds and now stays on permanently, weird but oh well lets try and start the car anyway, no luck, car just cranks over but engine refuses to fire. Disconnected car battery for a few minutes and reconnected and try again, same problem, after turning on ignition the red immobiliser security led seconds comes on for 5 seconds and then goes out and then comes back on again after another 2 seconds and now stays on permanently. Car refuses to start so get other remote fobs and test all of them, same problem with all. Call a mobile diagnostics guy to scan car and get IMMOBILIZER B1 P1571 ACTIVE. He says car is immobilised so car is towed away to workshop. Technician rings me and says immobiliser system is faulty even though it appears to be working perfectly and i need new immobiliser and immobiliser interface boxes with new remote fos so i say just do it and he does and then rings me and says after replacing everything the car is still doing the exact same thing, no changes at all, same immobiliser fault code and the red immobiliser security led is still coming on for 5 seconds and then goes out and then comes back on again after another 2 seconds and then stays on permanently. He says maybe RH Engine ecu is faulty even though it seems to be fine. Something keeps enabling the immobiliser and the ecu's are the only thing left now. Then he says a faulty siren can cause the red security light to stay on if the internal battery dies so he says just unplug it to try which he does and it makes no difference at all. He says only other thing it could be is the engine ecu and says that will be expensive. Has anyone experienced this problem before where the immobiliser basically wont turn off after the car battery has gone dead? Are there any sensors on the car that can cause the car to be immobilised even when turned off by the fobs? I have no problem paying for new ecu's if that will definitely fix the problem but he says he cant guarantee it but since he has replaced everything else what else could it be? Im lost with this, he can scan the ecu's no problem and everthing seems fine but the immobiliser refuses to turn off and the fault code IMMOBILIZER B1 P1571 ACTIVE just comes straight back if you try to start the car. Can someone please help with this problem, do you recommend buying new ecu's? I trust the tech, he is very switched on but would like other opinions before proceeding further. There were fault codes in the TCU which he cleared no problem so the F1 box being stuck is not the problem either which i have read it can be. Losing lots of sleep over this, anyone experienced with these immobiliser systems and seen this problem before? Appreciate any help

2. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
  3. furrari7

furrari7 Rookie

May 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Tom Wall
    thanks mate, ill try and contact him to see if he can help as that thread does look promising, cheers

4. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I knew this was going to be a short thread...;)

5. furrari7

furrari7 Rookie

May 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Tom Wall
    no reply as of yet so feel free to input and make it a bigger thread :)

6. furrari7

furrari7 Rookie

May 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Tom Wall
    Does anyone know if the Immobiliser box behind the seat monitors the brake pedal switch and F1 gear box? If wiring was faulty maybe this would prevent car from starting. The wiring diagrams are sooo confusing to work this out so need to know the pin outs for both the Immobiliser boxes, does anyone have the pinouts for the immobiliser boxes or is it back to the slow and frustrating way using a multimeter?

7. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Trev is busy developing the GUI for his software. Advice as always is to contact his partner AV engineering in England. They have the software and can reflash your ecus with the immobiliser delete mod. They’d also be able to test your ecus in another car to see if they’re at fault. That said, there might be a member on here willing to test them in their car. They would just need to flash them with their ecu firmware (eeprom and flash memory) and plug your ecus into their car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

kes7u likes this.
  8. furrari7

furrari7 Rookie

May 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Tom Wall
    Apparently like many other businesses AV Engineering are closed because of the COVID-19 lock down. I have now had the ecu's checked and apparently they are fine. Ive now had the RH ecu virginised this morning by some clever moon goon who was really on to it and still the problem remains. WTF is wrong with this car i do not know but im seriously over it. It has to be in the wiring or earths or canbus im guessing but no point buying new ecu's now thats for sure. God please help me, its stressing me out so much, i need to move this car urgently and can't so its causing major problems :(

9. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Do you have the PIN Code?
    Have you tried clearing the alarm with this method?

While waiting for Trev to respond I would also perform the mod to remove the starter interlock with the Immo in case that relay went for a crap.

brogenville likes this.
  10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Just out of curiosity what is the status of the light on the left of the steering wheel? Does it blink or it is solid, is there any change when you press the fob key? And I know you've replaced the fob batteries.. how about the alarm siren? If you unplug it, does it help the issue?

11. furrari7

furrari7 Rookie

May 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Tom Wall
    Yep have Pin Code, enter that and it turns off the immobiliser just like the remote fobs all do but still the same problem, car doesnt start and immobiliser light constantly stays on. No difference whatsoever. This is a late model 360 which didnt have the starter interlock design fortunately. Car is never a problem to crank, it just wont fire the engine. Even if you unplug both the immobiliser boxes it will still crank, believe me, i have tried absolutely everything.

12. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    My point was that for this Trev is the guy. He has it all worked out. The system is problematic after time and can be a real headache to repair.
    Sorry if it seemed flippant. I can understand your frustration. Personally I'm of no help to you. Best of luck sir.

13. furrari7

furrari7 Rookie

May 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Tom Wall
    Not trying to be rude but have you read the thread because the answer to all those questions is clearly stated in the first post. But thanks for your input anyway, much appreciate your time. Believe me guys, there is nothing i have not tried apart from investigating earths and wiring faults which is now the only thing left to try i think :( My Maserati's are more reliable then this car and thats saying something, if you know Maseratis ten you will know what i mean.

14. furrari7

furrari7 Rookie

May 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Tom Wall
    all good mate, i will eventually solve this problem. To make life even better I have now lost my job aswell so now have all day and everyday to work on a solution

15. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    It's something other than the immobilizer. They don't just fail. I've seen 2 go bad in 10 years, one by flood and the other by Kuwaiti desert sand. There may be a workaround but that won't solve the real problem.

I had someone with a similar problem (although not seeing those codes) and it ended up being the fuel pump, or I believe he told me pumps. He was set to ship all of his stuff to the ECU guy in FL but my tech friend ran him through some checks to test spark and fuel.

16. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Virginising the ecus is one thing- this just erases the PIN code data in the engine ecu eeproms so that a new pin can be written to the ecus next time the fob is pressed. This is different to what Trev can do to switch the immobiliser off. He can modify the flash file so that the ecu will ignore the immobiliser check. (He would explain it better I'm sure!).

The good thing is that if you've got a pal who's virginised the ecu's, they should be able to download the flash file. You can then email the file over to AV or Trev who can modify it quickly and easily and send you back the updated version to reload onto your ecu's.

It does sound like an immobiliser fault, but I assume you have checked for spark at the plugs and seen whether there is fuel getting into the cylinders? Not trying to teach you to suck eggs; just good to cover the basics.

17. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
  18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It's usually something simple in the end. Good luck. :)

19. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Yes, my just out of warranty 458 was diagnosed by the dealer with a misfire and they told me it had a bad injector (with only 2,800 miles on the odometer). They wanted over $8,000 to remove the intake and replace an entire injector rail. I told them no way please ship the car back to me. After some diagnostics and seeing the misfire move cylinders after moving a spark plug, I narrowed the issue down to a $35 spark plug. Two years and 500 miles later the car runs perfectly. It's usually something simple.

20. furrari7

furrari7 Rookie

May 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Tom Wall
    yep all the basics have been covered over and over and over again. There is spark for the first 5 seconds the immobiliser light is on but then after that 2 seconds period when the light goes off and then comes back on permanently the spark is lost and never comes back and then if you try and crank the car the scanner just says the immobiliser is actve . And yes virginising the ecu just erases the code in the ecu but remember this also eliminates the problem as being the immo-ecu synchro which now i know is not the problem where before i could not have known this so virginising is a completely different process then immobiliser delete but still a very useful thing to do.

Yeh can send flash files to Trev if hes all good with that, have them already but now im concerned because if virgnsing the ecu has made no difference and clearly the immo is not the problem then it looks like the fault is with the car so if thats the case then theres a good chance the immobiliser delete would not work either for example if it was an engine earthing problem. But still worth a try and better in the long run as i want this immobiliser system to go away anyway.

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    How did they misdiagnose it from a spark plug to an injection rail? What level of incompetence is that?

greg328 likes this.
  22. furrari7

furrari7 Rookie

May 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Tom Wall
    startng to go off topic a bit now. This is an immobiliser issue, not a misfire with a 458.

23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Tom,

Perhaps you can enlighten us with where you live so more resources can be provided locally. I can say that the first mechanic did you a disservice by replacing the whole immobilizer system.

24. furrari7

furrari7 Rookie

May 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Tom Wall
    this car is in immaculate condition and stored inside in dry storage so corrosion problems is not something i am going to find and i have looked but its perfect. Everything was fine until the battery went dead but sitting around for 2 years also could make a difference so might be just a coincidence which im thinking it is.

25. furrari7

furrari7 Rookie

May 1, 2020
    Full Name:
    Tom Wall
    we all make mistakes, the problem is clearly very hard to find so I appreciate his efforts. Sometimes you have to spend money to learn, its just the way life is, i dont hold people responsible for jobs that dont go as expected, no one s perfect plus its a Ferrari, its not known for reliability and i knew that before i bought it so i dont care