575M Build | FerrariChat

575M Build

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by white out, May 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I have spent a lot of time around numerous Ferraris, but I've wanted a 550/575M since they were new and to me it's the modern Daytona. I ended up finding an '02 F1 from another Fchat member, after some research it looks like it could possibly be the first 575M in the US (neat). A couple things I immediately realized, it's quick, it's far too soft and rivals a Prius for most subdued exhaust note. So I'm going to play around with it and see how much fun this GT can be.

This is my first automatic car in over a decade and is replacing a Viper GTS as daily driver.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

annnnnd day 1. Previous shop forgot to re-install the underbody aero.

Strap in and tighten your boot straps. This is about to get low wide and loud.

Red575, dgi, dhari and 1 other person like this.
  2. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    craigmack12, F456M, dgi and 2 others like this.
  3. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    On to more miscellaneous stuff.

The shop that replaced the clutch, for the previous owner, forgot to re-install the underbelly pan. Luckily they still have the pan. Here's a shot with the pan missing, all of this should be completely covered with naca ducts feeding certain components.

Time to change out the air filters for some BMC. Hopefully there's a little more power and throttle response with them being fed by that massive hood scoop.

Speaking of that hood scoop, the hood is insanely heavy and the hood struts failed (new units inbound) so I had to use my head and multi-task while changing the filters.

Ryan S. likes this.
  4. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    The 575 has copious amounts of fender gap and that factory wheel offset on par with 50's American cars. Although it has factory coilovers so I can drop it this car rides SOFT, like way too soft for a Ferrari, would be more on par with a Bentley/Rolls. So add coilovers to the "to do" list and they ain't cheap (great).

Played around with the Viper's wheels/tires. Explains why the Viper has traction and the 575 spins at the blip of the throttle.

Good news, the 575 can fit 13" rear wheels and it looks like the Viper's rear wheel offset is pretty close to what the 575 needs (no these aren't mounted, 1 lug bolt & my foot holding the wheel on the hub) . . . front was worse so no pics.

5. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Nothing major. But a warm welcome to Ferrari ownership.

Changed the cabin filter. 575M has the most pathetic cabin filter I've ever seen . . . and it's priced at $100.41. lol

Something that directly affects me but doesn't matter in pics, new hood struts ($93, lol). Worth every damn penny to not have that heavy ass hood rest on my head.

Attempted to lower the car on the factory coilovers, but a spring perch collar didn't want to budge. Did all the usual tricks, and a bit more, to try and break it loose.

No luck. Going to have to either pull it or fit a spring compressor so there is no load on the perch in order to get it to spin.

Here's a Ferrari and a Lambo

6. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Some of the interior components were were sticky. Got on that.

First off was the door trim pieces that I look at every time I'm in the car.

Before:

After:

Next up was the steering column. If I didn't put the key in perfectly, I would have the gummy "sticky button" on my hands and under my nails. AnnoyingAF.

After:

Now the 575M is a portly fellow. Managed to remove 2lbs from the steering column.

Luggage sliders on the parcel shelf were nasty.

So I pulled them and performed the same process as the rest of the interior. But the sliders are a rubbery material and the alcohol pulled all the color off of them in the process. Easy enough, hit them with some matte black paint and we are good to go. Still might machine some strips out of aluminum in the future to clean up the parcel shelf.

brogenville and mathewr like this.
  7. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Bought a babon key for it

Dropped it off for belt service, plugs, oil change and to have a Ferrari tech go through the car. Some minor misc things needed to be addressed, but nothing too major.

Image Unavailable, Please Login [

That previous shop who didn't re-install the underbody paneling had recently done clutch service along with a new clutch position sensor. In the process, they routed the sensor's wiring to lay against the steering shaft and the exhaust manifold (idiots). The motor and trans mounts were worn as well. A certain Costa Mesa, CA shop needs to get their quality control in check ASAP because this workmanship is whack.

F456M likes this.
  8. Jeremy58jeremy

Jeremy58jeremy Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 30, 2010
    Palmer, Alaska
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Grimes
    Nice work Nick, I've been seeing this car come across your IG page from time to time and was wondering if it would pop up here at some point. If the final product is anything like the Delorian, this is going to be a fun build to keep tabs on! I'm jealous of your So Cal weather, as I would love to daily my 599. I'm up in Alaska, so I just went for my first drive of the season last week!

Ryan S. likes this.
  9. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    Nick,

Keep this coming, I will be picking your brain soon...

10. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    100lbs worth of sound deadening removed.

First stages of the exhaust fabrication are in order. Designing an equal length exhaust and in order to achieve it, we have to make a crossover exhaust. So the rear manifolds will be crossing over to merge the front manifold of the opposite bank. After this it will be full titanium and the exhaust diameter is being bumped up to 2.5" per bank.

In other news, the coilovers arrived.

hwyman, Ryan S. and NewYorkLego like this.
  11. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    Ah I just figured out what car you bought. Great deal!

12. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I am a huge fan of the 599. Congrats on getting it out for spring/summer

Unfortunately my driving too has been pushed back because the flanges for the downpipes to the manifolds are non-existent and making them added a few days to the build. Then changing the exhaust routing required more materials (inbound). So the car is delayed about a week. But it will be worth it.

For everyone wonder what the hell I'm talking about. Here are the flanges after I found a set of flanges that my fabricator could use.

As far as the DeLorean is concerned, we are making the final touches on the driveline and then will mate it to the chassis soon. That thing will have cost me more than the 575M when we're done.

Sounds good. I'm always happy to share knowledge.

I was quite lucky to stumble upon it. Was looking at the car that didn't sell on BaT. While this one didn't have as many options and more miles, it wasn't crashed and the owner took very good care of it. It's hard to find a car that was cared for.

Il Tifoso and Jeremy58jeremy like this.
  13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    That crossover is going to cost you hp. Fabio does 6-1 headers with all the pipes on the same side, but not sure they are the same diameter as yours.

Does the coilover company offer a solution for the suspension lamp those coilovers will generate?

I do have your 126969 as the first US 575M. She had 550 modulars on her last photos I had. Handling can be improved greatly by replacing your early shock ECU, but that is OBE'd by your coilovers.

craigmack12, Ryan S., F456M and 2 others like this.
  14. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Please elaborate how the equal length exhaust will cost hp.
    The headers are not off the table, just not at this stage.

They don't, but I'll come up with a solution.

Good to know.
    Yeah it had them previously, but they were not factory options for this car. Only options are shields and bordeaux interior.

15. Claasher

Claasher Rookie

Apr 11, 2020
  16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    V12s are essentially two inline sixes on the same crankshaft. Like the straight six, the exhaust pulses provide almost perfect scavenging of exhaust gasses as she runs. Crossing over one of the exhaust pipes disrupts that near perfect scavenging with irregular timing between pulses. The exact same thing has been documented even with X-pipes further down the exhaust stream and way less intrusive than what you are planning. Straight center pipes demonstrably provide more hp and torque than an X-pipe for exactly the same reason, disruption of the smooth flow and extraction the 6 equally spaced exhaust pulses provide.

There is already an aftermarket solution to the suspension lamp documented in FChat recently.

17. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Wow what an awesome project. Thanks for sharing, say how did you “clean” those inside trim pieces ?

I live in LA, if you can recommend a shop for long-term maintenance stuff, etc...I would sure appreciate it as I have my H pipe and muffler-deletes under construction with Fabio as we speak !

18. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Ehh. Quite speculative of changing the scavenging from OEM layout as there are many factors involved with an exhaust to make power and where the power is made in the powerband.

x-pipes (or H) are completely different from this layout.

Thanks for the EDC info, I will likely pick up the KW EDC delete for the car. But keeping options open.

19. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Right, Terry.

In addition, someone once dissected the center resonator and found an H-pipe configuration internally as well as other routes of crossover further down its length...

Il Tifoso likes this.
  20. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I am not sure how much search you have done over here but all these questions have been answered in previous threads and Fabio has researched and tested all kinds of options. I see little merit in reinventing the wheel. my humble suggestion would be to message him and discuss your questions/thoughts.

technom3, tres55, Mirek and 1 other person like this.
  21. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Cool project, thanks for sharing here as you go. Looking forward to following along.

(having Taz and other's here chime in is gold, for you and for us. Lots of good knowledge here in a few heads, together with your hands-on project, makes for great interweb content. Thanks to all!)

craigmack12 and mathewr like this.
  22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nick- Not speculative at all.

technom3, tres55 and m5shiv like this.
  23. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #23 Auraraptor, May 3, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Neat thread.

From memory the FHP steering controller is PN 175891; I think it lists ZF 7038 900 288 on the part itself).

Taz can correct me if I am wrong, but simply removing the controller entirely defaults it into 'high speed' mode, with little low speeds.

Then again, your car is very early. I am not sure if it overlaps.

24. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The 550 and 575M use exactly the same hydraulic steering ECU, part number 175891. Maranello Skunkworks can provide reflashed units or reflash the owner's ECU. It cuts back on hydraulic assist for more steering feel at lower speeds.

25. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Please elaborate.