Ground clearance of 360 | FerrariChat

Ground clearance of 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by Husker, May 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Guys I am looking at building a new single car garage to house a 360. But...I've got to figure out how much grade (slope/angle) that the car can handle getting into the garage. Does anyone have any insight on this? Is it easy to scrape the bottom of the car? I would have to approach the slope straight on - there won't be room for any angled approach.

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    It is pretty low and may driveways are problematic. Rough estimate, you can clear a 7-8 degree angle, that's about it. Why don't you measure the distance from the wheels to the scrape point on the bumper (measure along the ground) and measure the height form ground to scrape point. From there it is simple math.

3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    as of now, I have neither the car nor the garage, so I am trying to do some planning. :D

4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I don't have my 360 any longer but will measure on the 599. I can tell you for sure that the 360 is less than 6" and probably 5" but numbers for the 599 coming up.

The 599 with skid plates is about 3.5" ground clearance at about 24" from the leading edge of the contact patch. That makes it just over 8 degrees. The 360 is similar.

Husker likes this.
  5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Thank you so much. I am doing some searching around it it looks like 7 degrees might be the sweet spot.

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    That should work. You will have to start or exit slowly because even a little bounce and you hit; think compression on the little lip into the gutter. I dropped a wheel off the edge of the curb coming out of the drive, cut just a little too soon. It dropped about 2" (not very much) but that was enough to have a hard strike that broke the mounting bracket loose from the bumper. There was no bumper damage on the outside so I had it taken off and epoxy the whole thing back together again. That was on my 599. Once you make the transition you can climb most anything reasonable so you can start and transition to as steep as you want.

One thing I did during our remodel was dig the garage down over 1" more so I had room for a lift. The lower pad also reduces the angle of attack. And yes, I can easily go up the lift, it transitions 4" up over 30" run.

7. Walt Gamble

Walt Gamble Formula Junior

May 22, 2014
    On the 360 it's the front end that is the problem...for sure get skid plates added regardless of the garage. It the change in slope you're trying to estimate. Being an engineer I should be able to calc it but haven't done it yet...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

8. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    I have not measured on my 360 but there is an August 1999 Road and Track article with all kinds of stats that seem to be very close to my car and it says Ground clearance is 4.2 inches.

Keith Ngulube likes this.
  9. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    One thing not being mentioned is that most 360's have been lowered in the front. You can expect the clearance issue to be different with each car depending on if it was lowered and by how much.

10. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Skidkid likes this.
  11. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    That looks like about 9.5" rise over about 5' so 9.11 degrees. That is right in there for what I posted and probably near the limit for approach. The nose JUST clears on the way in doesn't it.

12. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Yes, it's close but it clears it

Husker and Skidkid like this.
  13. Clint 360

Clint 360 Rookie

Apr 25, 2018
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Full Name:
    Clint
    964kevin likes this.
  14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I suspect your angles are wrong. It looks like you calculated them based off the length of the car, location of the axels, and ride height. The low point is actually closer to the contact patch than the nose of the car and the front edge of the contact is farther forward than the axel so the angle is steeper than what you would have calculated.

Keith Ngulube likes this.
  15. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    this helps a ton! Is there a chance you can measure the floor of your garage from the ground? Curious as to how many inches you are rising to get it in the garage.

hessank likes this.
  16. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    so from the lowest portion of the spoiler to the middle of the bottom of the tire is 6.6 degrees? Seems like you would have to have a transition slope at 6 degrees or less for it to work.??

17. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    good point. 6.6 slope ain’t much!

18. Clint 360

Clint 360 Rookie

Apr 25, 2018
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Full Name:
    Clint
    You are correct, I did this to give me clearance when designing my driveway entrance.
    I went and measured the lowest parts on my car (standard 360 spider) and these are the points which will make contact
    * Front: distance from wheel centre 900mm, height at touch point 130mm = 8.2°
    *Rear: distance from wheel centre 584mm, height at touch pint 178mm = 16.9°
    *Lowest height measured between the wheels, chassis to garage floor was 125mm

Skidkid likes this.
  19. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    So Clint, I should be able to get by with transitioning from zero to a 7.5 to 8 degree slope, do you think?

20. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes, you have it right. You will get slightly more than these numbers because of the size of the contact patch. You will have to make the transition very slowly because even a little compression on the suspension and you will scrape. And yes, that is the voice of experience.

I say excavate down some to reduce the angle and to make extra height in the garage for a lift. :)

Clint 360 likes this.
  21. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    As John already guessed, it is 9-1/2"

22. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    This is such helpful info. guys. I have no idea how one owns a Ferrari without being on Ferrarichat.com. :D

Skidkid likes this.
  23. Clint 360

Clint 360 Rookie

Apr 25, 2018
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Full Name:
    Clint
    That should work, but you’ll have to enter slowly. I ended up having 7 degrees (worst area) to play with on my driveway but it will still scrape if I enter too quickly.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Husker likes this.
  24. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Wow, that's steep.

25. Clint 360

Clint 360 Rookie