812SF and 599GTO | FerrariChat

812SF and 599GTO

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by uhn2000, Apr 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hope you are keeping safe during this crazy COVID time. I had an hour to write and thought I would share my afternoon (last week) with you guys, I picked up my 599GTO (newish to me) from the dealership and then visited my 812SF (1yr now) at its current storage location :) Then drove the 812SF home – lots of smiles and giggles on both drives. Thought I would share a quick synopsis for you guys to read in your quarantines . To put this into perspective these cars are almost a decade apart and in my opinion represent some of the best to come out of Maranello. Unfortunately we didn't actually plan to take pictures, they were just placed in this position so I started snapping and took a quick video (post later). If you have anything you want to see or some follow-up pictures I can make it happen next week. I hope to plan a photo-shoot at some point in the summer, the 812SF I have has so much carbon on it you could probably buy a fully loaded M5 for that money - nuts really. Anyhow to impressions..

In the GTO you feel like you are driving something with history, with a sense of purpose/occasion, it is very nostalgic and special. The ride is a little tighter and rougher but thats really due to less sound deadening and the suspension just doesn't absorb the road bumps like the 812 (even in wet mode – no bumpy road button). It feels planted and direct but it just wants to let loose any chance it gets. One thing you will absolutely take away with you in the GTO is the downshifts, there is nothing on earth that I have experienced with such a visceral cracking, burbling downshift – think thunder, cracks, and roars. The cabin is very purposeful but plush and rich, there are so many stitch lines, things you don't see in today's cars. Its very simple, focus, but pure art and hand crafted. The steering is tighter (hydraulic) and quite accurate, I love the feeling of matt carbon in my hands, its everywhere in the GTO. As expected the GTO doesn't mind going slow but its so much happier going fast and climbing those furious revs. The single clutch gearbox is good for the last generation but you have to really think about the shifts and pedal application to avoid those massive surges. Drive it in Race and its pretty quick but then the suspension is really tight and there is not way to separate that setting. Drive it fast and shift there is a pretty cool kick in your back side, downshift and its like Zeus himself is cracking down with thunder inside your ears. Back to sound, again it makes a sound that is so unique, so special, nothing sounds like this! Unexpected one thing I love about the GTO is the seats, they are the most ergonomically perfect seats I have ever experienced (I have comfort in my 812SF). While it is “new to me 8 mths” very honoured to have this car in my stable, it is very special, driving aside I think its a very beautiful car in person - it has a very stunning understated presence. The GTO to me is just so enchanting, full stop.

In the 812 you feel a little more cocooned, the car also seems smaller than the GTO and I think the interior cabin volume is slightly less as well. Deeper rumble to this 6.5V12, the 812 just revs so incredibly fast and its like an orchestra of symphony, I love it when you are hard accelerating in 2nd and its just fighting for tractions overwhelming the rubber and cabin with resonation - Godzilla roars and screams! The 812 makes you feel like a superhero and at the same time is happy doing your DD duties. It really is such an amazing culmination of Ferrari technology and engine mechanics. Like the GTO it loves to rev and the downshifts while not as pronounced as the GTO are very whippy, my favourite is Sport, I find Race fantastic but its maybe a little to whippy for me to get that V12 rev match I crave. Long live the uncorked (GPF) V12, goodness it makes a sound that makes you giggle and smile. The interior is very comfortable, not exactly as ergonomically perfect as the GTO for my tall frame but it works just fine. I was explaining to a friend that the 812 is a very perfect car sports/GT car, just wish for a bit more headroom. Wow, the way it handles, the way it absorbs the road, and then the way it just goes and slows down – just all perfect, even the steering feel is very nice (lighter then the GTO). While definitely over the top, if there was one car you could have as a GT/Sports car it would be the 812 – no argument in my mind. This 812's colour is Rosso Formula 1 2007 and the its such a wow factor, worth the delay – I think the 812 is very beautiful but it has to grow on you a bit more than the GTO (love at first site). How it will be remembered in the Ferrari history books I think will be determined on what comes next. Maybe this is the last non-hybrid V12 coupe (minus GTO/TDF variant), whatever it is the reality is that because these cars are becoming SO perfect at times we need to drive other older models to really appreciate how far Ferrari has come to making these machines friendly to use on the road and track while still being able to still thrill you. The 812 to me is just so perfect, maybe too perfect if you know what I mean.

Very blessed and lucky to have had the opportunity to write this snippet for you during this crazy time in our lives. Hopefully things will turn around soon enough and Maranello can get back to making magic we can enjoy. Ciao guys!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JMI, Mike Chawla, KenU and 27 others like this.
  2. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    What a nice pair! I don't see how you have an issue with headroom in the 812. I have Daytona seats and I am 6'3". The 812 feels very roomy. Of course I am coming from the 488 Spider which is quite cramped for me. Helps in that car to have the top down.

Boomhauer and uhn2000 like this.
  3. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Agreed, its not the head room but more the feeling of roominess or maybe it the seating position, or the ver slanted smaller windshield.

4. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Great review thanks for sharing! For me the GTO is such a raw and intense experience, everything about the car demands ones concentration and attention and yes I agree it does prefer to be going fast!

LARRYH, uhn2000 and Nelsonc275 like this.
  5. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Great reading and stunning pictures!!

LARRYH, Boomhauer and uhn2000 like this.
  6. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Nelsonc275, tomc, Thecadster and 2 others like this.
  7. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Nice stable. Bravo. Must be hard to decide which to drive.

8. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Any more sun pics? I'd love to see the detail of the paint. Highly considered this for the 812 and Pista, but went another direction.

9. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Your neighbors must all love you when you fire those things up in the morning with the houses so close together :D

uhn2000 likes this.
  10. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Wonderful review of 2 iconic Ferrari's! I see "Automotive Journalist" on your resume soon (if not already)!!! :D

uhn2000 likes this.
  11. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Lagunae92, REALZEUS, junc and 2 others like this.