Paint shop recommendation for a 1966 Shelby GT-350 | FerrariChat

Paint shop recommendation for a 1966 Shelby GT-350

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by INRange, Apr 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I have owned the car for 45 years and the WuFlu sequester in place has given me the opportunity to work non-stop on it's restoration. The car is down to bare metal and the new sheet metal should be on and ready for paint in early June.

I'm struggling to find a reputable paint and body shop to paint the car. My first choice was D&V (they did some work on my 355) but they won't touch a "classic" car. They referred me to Leehigh Auto Body and Service which also goes by the name of Sterling Hot Rods who has mixed reviews.

I was hoping for someone local. The paint scheme is the original Wimbleton White with Guardsman Blue stripes.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

LARRYH likes this.
  2. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    WagonWorks used to have a very strong reputation, not sure about these days. Located in Alexandria, they did some fabulous work on my E60 M5 a while back, worth the check

3. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    Wagonworks went out of business a long time ago. Don't exist anymore. There's a caliber at that location now.

E60 M5 likes this.
  4. wahoowa

wahoowa F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2008
    _East Coast_
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Not ideally "local", but Jeff's Autobody. Not the one in Annapolis, but the one over the bridge. They are affiliated, I think, but the shop on Kent Island is extraordinary - did a SUV vs deer job for me years ago. Paint was that triple pearl, the job was perfect.

http://www.jeffsbodyshop.net/

Even further away but an excellent shop is White Post

https://whitepost.com/

Haven't lived in that area for years, but they did some excellent work on my E in the 80's

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    does the build sheet say the painted stripe were factory applied? not all 66’s had stripes. most didnt.
    do you want single stage? orange peel? as that was original.
    the undercarriage is very critical too as it relates to overspray and red primer.
    what number is it? late or early car?

6. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I very much appreciate the responses. In checking with a number of shops it just comes down to their backlog. The good ones also are doing collision work which is prioritized over custom work.

I just don't get the right feel with any of them locally and it has been really hard to get a current set of quality references from them. Apparently, good body men and great painters are like gypsies and continue to move around.

Fortunately, I sent a email to Dan at bradangroup.com (Fchat Sponsor) and he is up for the job. I am simply amazed at the quality of work at his shop. Yes....it means a tow from Virginia to New York but it's just a road trip.

In regards to Edward 96GTS questions......if I give you the VIN then you could look me up in the Shelby Almanac. ;)

Suffice it to say it is a late 1966 build. Originally, it came Blue with White stripes probably painted by the Dealer who sold it. The Dealer's used to charge $69 to put the stripes on the car. The Blue used was Sapphire Blue which personally I do not care for. Shelby expected that Ford was going to stick with Guardsman Blue in 1966 and it caused no end of consternation since most buyers didn't care for Sapphire Blue. In my personal opinion .....it looks washed out which is why I am shifting it to Wimbledon White with Guardsman Blue stripes.

The car came with the 10-spoke alloy wheels, wood grain dash and glovebox, wood wheel and under ride traction bars. I'm not looking to make it a concours correct car. Another owner can do that in the future if they choose to. My goal is to get it 95% there and update the brakes. engine and driveline. The original engine was blown racing the car in 1968 and was replaced with a Shelby American crate engine. That block has four bolt mains and GT-40 heads.

LARRYH likes this.
  7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    google Maple Hill Restorations in VA.
    speak to owner, Jeremy. he knows shelbys as well as anyone. he just finished a blue 66 gt350.

8. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Thanks!

9. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    Hunter's Specialty in Walnut Cove, NC. He owns several Shelbys & they are immaculate.