Adjusting the shifter - 1st is actually getting 3rd gear! | FerrariChat

Adjusting the shifter - 1st is actually getting 3rd gear!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Albert Penello, May 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    Hey folks

As the Mondial project is getting near completion, was driving around yesterday with the family and noticed my car was sluggish off the line. I had felt the car was a little slow off the line and I can't believe it but my car is actually getting 3rd gear from the 1st gear gate. 1st has been VERY hard to get into after we did an adjustment to get second gear better so I assume that we spun some part of the shift rod in the wrong direction.

I think having 1st gear would make the car a little more fun :)

What's the process for adjusting the shifter to get proper 1st gear engagement? The service manual just talks about putting the car in 2nd and adjusting from there (which is what we did) but that's how I lost 1st.

(preferably there is a way to do this without dropping the pan!)

paulchua likes this.
  2. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott

this might help...

paulchua likes this.
  3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Did you also replace the two silent-bloc bushings in the shift shaft assembly (or verify that they are OK-ish)? Items 28 here:

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/mondial-group/mondial-qv/outside-gearbox-controls.html

Slop, or weakness, in these will reduce the rotation transferred to the shift selection mechanism inside the gearbox when you move the shift lever over to the 1-R side.

4. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    When I did a physical inspection, both of those actually looked quite good. The shifter is pretty tight - I think what happened is that when we loosened the lockunuts to adjust the Up/Down adjustment, something when loose on the side/side.

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Replace the two silent blocks. It's a big job but … 35 years old cars have issues.

To align it:

Put the car gearbox in neutral
    Put the shifter in neutral by adjusting the turn buckle
    Lock down the shift rod bolt/nut at the gearbox under the car, while making sure that the bolt/nut direction is absolutely horizontal.
    Test all gears while engine is off. You should be able to shift into all gears with engine off.