Power steering whining | FerrariChat

Power steering whining

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by osuav8r, May 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. osuav8r

osuav8r Karting

Feb 16, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I just flushed my power steering out using this forum post as a guide.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/diy-power-steering-fluid-flush.620929/#post-147185158

I used Valvoline Dexron VI liek it specified and used the exact same procedure in the post, but when I went to bleed the system by turning the wheel lock to lock, the pump is whining quite a bit when the steering gets very far off center.

I turned the wheel lock to lock about 10 times and it seemed to get a little better, but the whining is still there and the steering feels choppy in a few spots. I may have run the reservoir dry for a few seconds before shutting the engine off, but it seems I have air in the system and I was worried I might be damaging it in some way so I stopped.

Is it safe to keep bleeding it by steering lock to lock? Is Dexron 6 acceptable to use in the system? The forum seems to think that it's okay, but the system doesn't seem super happy. I reread the forum post and realized he didnt' start the engine to do his. Did I damage my pump? It couldn't have run dry for more than a few seconds.

2. osuav8r

osuav8r Karting

Feb 16, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Update: Just bled it some more and it seems fine. It's smooth until it hits the lock, then the pump whines a bit, but I believe that's normal. I think I maybe introduced some air by running the engine during the flush and it just needed to work itself out.

Qavion likes this.
  3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    It's normal for a PS system to whine a bit at lock. (And, you shouldn't hold it at lock for too long.)

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Just drive it. It gets rid of air eventually.

5. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Agree with Mitchel. What I do is get the front end off the ground and then cycle lock to lock about 20X and that seems to get all the air out. At lock you are more likely to get some weird noises there is nothing to worry about there. I also tend to change fluids more often because I don't do a full drain like trying to empty the rack or empty a torque converter or the block of coolant. So I change more often to dilute whats left.