360 - Battery Kill Switch/Tender Question | FerrariChat

360 Battery Kill Switch/Tender Question

Discussion in '360/430' started by HNL29, May 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HNL29

HNL29 Rookie

Jun 16, 2013
    Pittsburgh PA
    I bought my 360 Spider in March and have been enjoying it immensely. Last week I drove the car and turned off the battery using the trunk kill switch knob. I verified that the kill switch worked as the lights on the inside of the doors did not illuminate afterwards - indicating (so I thought) that the battery was disconnected from the car & not subject to parasitic draw.

I didn't drive the car for 5 days, went to start it on Saturday, twisted the trunk kill switch back to "on" and the car wouldn't start. Didn't even try to turn over, door locks with the key fob wouldn't work etc. I played with the kill switch knob a bit, it can be a bit "notchy", and ensured that it was correctly switched on.

I plugged the battery tender back in and it indicated a very low charge level for the battery. Let the trickle charger do it's thing overnight - the next day the charger indicator showed a full battery - the car started up and drove fine.

So....

Could my battery disconnect switch be broken...meaning it doesn't effectively disconnect the battery from the car & still allows for parasitic draw? If so, any idea how to verify & fix? If not, what could be driving this? Selling dealer said he replaced the battery with a new on right before I bought it.

Appreciate any help you guys can provide.

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If its the same as the 430, the battery switch is not in the positive line, but the negative. Also if you look at the negative battery clamp you might see a few auxillary negative cables which do not go via the battery switch. So not everything is isolated.

3. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Another possibility is that on your particular car, some aftermarket stuff got installed directly connected to the battery (extra Audio amp, LowJack, Dashcam, radar detector, etc,...). You can most likely tell by looking at the battery clamps for "extra wires".

brogenville likes this.
  4. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    The alarm circuitry and charging of the battery in the siren is still active even though the kill switch is off

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It might be your battery is not as good as it used to be- put the headlights on and press the starter, see if the lights dim right down or stay on. Its a good testing tip

van22 likes this.
  6. HNL29

HNL29 Rookie

Jun 16, 2013
    Pittsburgh PA
    Thanks for all the feedback & tips...the car has an aftermarket stereo/amp/subwoofer so I’m wondering if some of that is wired directly to the battery & draining it even with the kill switch engaged. I’ll check it out.

7. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Most stereos have a yellow wire connected to the battery for clock memory or to retain radio settings.
    So that and the alarm circuits will eventually kill the battery

8. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I think if you search this forum you’d find that a good number of battery drain issues have been traced to aftermarket stereo equipment. Not all but a fair number.

As above, the disconnect doesn’t turn everything off, just most.
    If you battery is more than about 4 years old, time to replace it. Keep your car on a battery tender and leave the disconnect switch alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

brogenville, BrettC and Skidkid like this.
  9. HNL29

HNL29 Rookie

Jun 16, 2013
    Pittsburgh PA
    Thanks Bob...I'll do that from now on. Is there any concern (fire risk with the trickle charger, long term damage to the car?) with using a battery tender all the time? I'll be driving the car maybe once per week during the spring/summer/fall - weather dependent - and then not at all during the winter. OK to be on a battery tender for 300 days per year? OK to stay on one unattended if I have to travel out of town for a week?

Curious as to how you guys handle this...

10. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Our 360 is on a tender whenever it's parked in our garage. Sometimes 10-14 days. Its Interstate AGM battery is now over 6 years old and still performs as new. My CTEK died 5 years ago and was replaced by a Granite Save-a-Battery which was recommended by Brian Crall. I would strongly recommend also.

11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    If the battery inside the alarm has failed, it might have leaked acid into the circuits and created a short. Does your alarm work properly?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Lol. I had a Granite that failed after a few years so got a CTEK and it’s worked fine since!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

13. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I keep my two cars on tenders 365, no issues. The modern day tenders monitor the state of the battery and trickle charge as necessary. One of our storage facilities here must have a hundred cars on battery tenders.

CTEK or Granite battery tenders. As above, any battery tender can fail over time. Just get a known brand and hook it up. Lots of threads on where/how to hook them up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

14. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Just leave the tender always connected when parked. Is there a possibility of something going wrong? In the grand universe of possibilities, maybe, but the risk is low, don't worry about it.

brogenville likes this.
  15. HNL29

HNL29 Rookie

Jun 16, 2013
    Pittsburgh PA
    Thanks for all the advice/tips guys...I really appreciate it.