California clutch issue | FerrariChat

California clutch issue

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Frank_N, Apr 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Frank_N

Frank_N Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Hello,
    i've got a 2011 California having a weird clutch issue... i try to explain it as better i can:

Sometimes, specially when the car is still not completely hot, changing gears appears to be difficult... i mean for example changing from 2nd to 3rd gear(it does the same also with 3rd to 4th), the car makes a weird "tum" noise and appears to come back to neutral, the display shows 1st gear but it feels like neutral then when i press the throttle it engages back and then paddling it again it goes to 2nd and runs fine then sometimes it does it again after few mins...

All that happens just sometimes.. may it be the clutch speed sensor?

Hope to get your advices.

Thanks

2. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Sounds like a qualified service center problem, regardless of the cause.

3. OffsetImage

OffsetImage Rookie

Apr 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Spence Haldren
    yea, you are going to need to get that looked at, there could be codes in the system without the light coming on. a quick diag scan will get you a good starting point on what could be the issue. Also check to see if fluid levels are good, (will need a lift) no leaks??

4. Frank_N

Frank_N Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Frank
    No leaks for sure, the car is all pretty dry... do you know how to check the clutch/transmission fluid level?
    Thanks

OffsetImage likes this.
  5. OffsetImage

OffsetImage Rookie

Apr 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Spence Haldren
    it is quite a long and difficult process if you do not have a lift and scan tool, or feel like removing the rear bumper? the differential fill plug is a pain even on a lift. I would recommend that you take it to someone who knows what they are doing on Ferraris or the Getrag gearbox that you have if you drain the oil to check and it's contaminated you can cause diagnosis problems for the gearbox down the road if they mechanic you take it to doesn't have all the necessary info on what came out of the diff/gearbox.

I can post the process here if you want to give it a shot?

6. Frank_N

Frank_N Rookie

Apr 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yeah, thank you... please post the process, i have done a full service by myself on the Cali, oil and all filters, also AC filter and fixed a problem at the suspension, i think i could try that clutch thing.

Andrew Leather-Barrow likes this.