2012 California PPI and CC Brakes? Can anyone help? | FerrariChat

2012 California PPI and CC Brakes? Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by CaliMIA305, May 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CaliMIA305

CaliMIA305 Rookie

May 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Federico I
    Hi There,

I recently took a 2012 20k mile Ferrari California to Ferrari Fort Lauderdale for a PPI. They found over $70K work to be done (not including brake rotors). After reading the PPI, I am sure I can get an independent shop to do the minor mechanical things for under $10K. But here is what I dont understand. They said the rotors were "worn to 4%". After only 20k miles? Does this sound normal? The tech over at Ferrari made it sound like it was perfectly normal... He assured me it wasn't due to track use or anything. I don't know though, I have never owned a Ferrari and I am just trying to do my due diligence but judging from the rest of the WAY over priced PPI, I feel like they are just trying to hose me on the brakes?

Can anyone help a newbie out?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

Lmfao!!

WHAT. THE. HOLY. F.

Is it April Fool’s?!?!???

Jesus....do you have a link to this car for sale? We need to make sure none of our FChat brothers buy this POS.

How much did you spend on the PPI....?? :(

3. CaliMIA305

CaliMIA305 Rookie

May 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Federico I
    The PPI was $1500 which was INSANE. I know there are a few minor cosmetic things wrong with the car. I don't deny that but I think Ferrari of Fort Lauderdale might be trying to hose me.... The brakes are the most shocking thing... 4% left on the rotors after 20k miles???

4. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

What is the asking price of the car? PP or a dealer?

5. CaliMIA305

CaliMIA305 Rookie

May 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Federico I
    Small wholesale dealer I know through mutual connections. 80K for the car.

6. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    I’ve got 38000+ miles on my 2011 with no brake problems. I bought it with 20000 on the clock. I have had mine under warranty since I bought it 3 years ago. Only item I’ve had was a window motor which was covered by the warranty.
    My PPI was $500.

BLAMPEE likes this.
  7. CaliMIA305

CaliMIA305 Rookie

May 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Federico I

Sounds like a fantastic experience

8. DavidPutty

DavidPutty Karting

Jan 19, 2020
    Del Boca Vista
    $587 for a gas cap

9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Perhaps they meant 4 percent worn (96 percent left) — I note they did not quote replacement of pads and rotors in the estimate. Looks like the front pads are a bit worn.

No one’s spending $17k to address oil seepage or $9k to address a flickering LED in the gauge, or replacing a headlight for $14k over a loose LED. But a good lesson not to hand the car to the dealer and say “Whatever it needs ...” ;)

OffsetImage likes this.
  10. CaliMIA305

CaliMIA305 Rookie

May 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Federico I

I agree the numbers are nuts. But they assured me the rotors had 4% left... I didn't know this was even possible, hence me starting this thread.

11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Run! Consider the $1500 a good investment in experience, not only on the purchase end, but the service end. Cars.com has abt a dozen 1st Gen Calis from $90 - $110 K from authorized deslers with CPO. For a first F-car, that's where I'd start my search...T

BLAMPEE likes this.
  12. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    You should ask that question in the technical forum, there are some Ferrari mechanics who answer questions there. My understanding is the only way to gauge the wear on the rotors is by weight, and I doubt they took them off the car and weighed them. The car is not going to stop at all with the rotors 96 percent worn and there would be a brake wear warning on the dash long before it reached that point. I do know that when you check the wear on an F1 clutch, it gives you the number as the percentage of wear, not the remaining life. And one might wonder why if the vehicle is dead and wouldn't start they were somehow able to drive the car and determine that it's not overheating at the present time.

Sounds like you can find a better example all the way around.

13. CaliMIA305

CaliMIA305 Rookie

May 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Federico I
    Thank you all. I will ask in the technical forum. I appreciate all the advice.

14. Mohamed Haider

Mar 21, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Mohamed Haider
    I picked up a 2011 Ferrari approved California a few weeks ago. Got it with a 2 year Ferrari power warranty for $80k. It had 32k miles on it. I agree with the comments here that you should consider walking away from this car

15. davidtopp

davidtopp Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    UAE
    Full Name:
    David Topp
    I have a 2013 California from new. 15k KMS and my brake discs are 2% worn. My service report also shows the wear percentage. I would think it is 4% remaining and it can only be as a result of some hard track day driving. My dealer told me an interesting story about a customer who recently wrote off a Pista by cooking the brakes repetitively, so it can be done.
    I have similar trim issues and will resolve them myself now I have the workshop manual and can take the bits out for refurb. LED light is the same for everyone without exception. You now know what to look for when you check out your next California. Don't be put off it is a great car. However all that said, don't buy this car. If it has been hammered the next thing will be the transmission. As already suggested up the thread don't feel you have wasted your 1500US that was a good investment. I am still in love with mine despite the silly trim related issues.
    I keep my Ferrari power warranty going, I bet Ferrari wouldn't even consider giving you that on this one and that is a sure sign it is a bad one.

16. CaliMIA305

CaliMIA305 Rookie

May 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Federico I
    So the dealer called to tell me it is actually 96% life left, even though I asked the to clarify 4 times yesterday. Also attached are pics of the oil seepage. It looks very minor to me... I just feel like they want me to buy a car they have for 20K more... Any opinions on the oil seepage?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    As suspected ... ;)

The advantage of buying from the Ferrari dealer is you can often convince them to offer the 2-year New Power warranty with the car, either throwing it in, or at a significant discount. I believe it's on sale now for two years for the price of one, and if they have already certified the car, there's no extra expense for an inspection to add the warranty.

Note that the New Power warranty does not cover leaks, so it would not fix that seepage, but on the other hand, in theory they would have found it and corrected it before certifying the car.

That warranty is a nice thing to have, especially initially. I would try to negotiate with them on their car, if you like the combination, and at least drive it so you can compare it to the one you had inspected.

It's always more expensive to buy from the dealer, but it's not a bad thing to establish a relationship, too. They generally will not put out a car with a laundry list of repairs like the one you brought to them. So, in a sense, you do get what you pay for.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  18. Mohamed Haider

Mar 21, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Mohamed Haider
    Well said. I had a great buying experience at Wide World Ferrari in Spring Valley NY. They changed the rear tires due to age and replaced the motor mounts because they weren't "perfect." Given that I did not see or drive the car in person due to the lockdown, the entire transaction was done via phone with fedex sending documents back and forth.

19. Andrew Pour

Andrew Pour Karting

Oct 7, 2019
    I subscribe to Normal Guy Supercar on YouTube. Saw his video today where he discusses this PPI. Isn't he awesome? Haha

20. OffsetImage

OffsetImage Rookie

Apr 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Spence Haldren
    When a dealer gives you a "Worn Spec" its how much has "worn off" the rotors, not how much is left. In the NQS (guage cluster) it does a calculation on how much the rotors should be worn based on the driving conditions its reading throughout the car. 4% is very common to see on Cali and Cali-T because they usually arent hard driven. The leaks, they don't look major but the dealer has to cover their ass and point out everything so it doesn't backfire on them and get sued. My dealer actually stopped doing PPIs because 2 times we were sued.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  21. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    So for me, I’m looking at a couple F cars at Ferrari of Atlanta, and this is good info I’ve come across. Thanks. I’ll have to ask them and see if they’ll offer that through the cars they have available, since 2 I’m interested in are consignments for clients who upgraded.

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yes the rotors can well be worn out. That idea of them being ever lasting on the street, will only apply if you putter the car to and from the hair salon. If you track it, you can kill them in 5k miles and the pads will last maybe 500-700 miles.
    Let me do some cross referencing. Maybe Surface Transform rotors are an option.

At any rate, do the rotors yourself. Takes 10 mins per wheel and is dead easy. No need for your dealer to skin you on those even if you have to run OE rotors.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app