QUICKJACK 5000/328 | FerrariChat

QUICKJACK 5000/328

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, May 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I am considering the quick jack 5000 and want to verify that it will actually work with my 328. I have read the sales info/watched videos but I am most concerned with the height of the quick jack when rolling it under the car. I have measured my 328's ground clearance as 4". I want to verify that the QJ will actually roll under the car. The quickjack info claims the height of the collapsed jacks is 3" so, clearly, it SHOULD fit. Anyone have any direct info re that?

Also, I measure the jacking points on the 328 as approximately 58-59" so it seems that the SLX - with a 60" spread - would work OK. Again, any actual experience/recommendations?

Thanks.

2. Marcoboxer

Marcoboxer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    Don’t know if this helps, I use one on my F430. I do use the taller blocks, but have to slide them in after I’ve put the lift under. My car has not been lowered. I can measure the collapsed height of the 5000 in a few hours.

3. bonneaud

bonneaud Karting

May 3, 2004
    I have been using the Quick Jack 5000 on ( i mean under) my 308 QV with low spoiler for the last 8 years without any problem. It slide under easily even with the rubber blocks in place. HOWEVER the tracks need to be in parallel orientation or the motor on the jack will "protest" .
    You will enjoy this system which raises enough for any king of work under your 328.

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Thanks and to verify - are you using the 5000 SLX (70" frame length) or the 5000 EXT (76" frame length)?

5. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    I have the 3500 and it has worked fine for years. My only complaint would be when lowering by yourself, you have to keep an eye on both sides at the same time to keep the safety brace from jetting upward in to the rocker panel.

newark_308 likes this.
  6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Can you post the exact model you have so i can see if i can find one in the uk.

7. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I was under the impression that the 3500's frame wasn't long enough to match up to suitable lift points on the 3x8. What lift points on the car do you use?

8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    And another question re either the 5000 or 3500... As I said, my 328 has 4" of ground clearance. So the frames SHOULD roll under with one inch of clearance BUT, you must place the blocks on the frame and they appear to protrude more than an inch above the frame. SO I ASSUME the frames go underneath and then the blocks are inserted into the frame. Once again, I ASSUME, there is enough clearance to slide the blocks into the frame when it is under the car.

Otherwise it would be necessary to raise the car in order to use the quick jack and if that's the case, I'll just stick with my floor jack/jack stands.

9. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hi Mike
    I have a Quick Jack 5000 and love it. Just used it this weekend on my Tacoma.
    That said I haven’t used it on my 328 yet and have looked and am not quite sure at what points I will put the jack to lift it.
    I would like to hear how others do it.
    Here in just a few I will go out and slide it under with the blocks in place and see how it works and send you a picture.

10. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    I am putting my 5000 together on Saturday and hope to get my GT4 off the ground. I have a tight space so I plan on raising lowering the car on rolling wheel dollies to shift side to side as I do my work. I will cut a two 2x4's down to keep the units parallel and on my lift points.

11. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Works fine for me. I'll get photos uploaded later.

12. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Here is a pic of it under my 328. I haven’t actually used it to lift it yet but it definitely fits under with the smaller rubber block.
    I would be interested to hear where people are using for lift points as it doesn’t seem like there is a good spot to have them both even and parallel. Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    I have the 5000 SLX and it fits under my 328 with the smallest rubber blocks. That said, I've never lifted the 328 with them. I've lifted my Aston Martin V8 Vantage, my BMW 335i, and Audi A5 many, many times. If you don't like how the lift points line up with the lift frames oriented longitudinally under the rocker panels, you can also orient the frames laterally under the car. That way you can be sure you can hit the jack points while also keeping the frames parallel.

14. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    My detailer actually lifts some cars like that with a quick jack ( laterally) so I guess that is an option.
    For some reason it just seems odd to me. Maybe because officially I think Quick jack says not to do it like that.
    But I have heard of others doing it that way to so maybe that’s the way to go on 308/328 etc

15. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    The QuickJack company explicitly states that it is acceptable to use the frames laterally under the car. They say it's especially helpful with older full-frame cars where the lift points may be too far out of line to use the frames longitudinally and still keep them parallel. Or if using them that way better meets your needs for whatever reason.

16. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I appreciate the info. I could have sworn I saw one of their videos where it says not to use them like that but I guess I’m mistaken.
    If that’s the case then problem solved!

17. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Andreas Engesvik and pizzadude like this.
  18. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Great stuff - thanks all. Costco seems to have the best price at the moment - 1199.99 for the 5000 SLX. Ordering now!

19. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    FYI, you will need to do a little assembly work. As I recall I had to install the ends on the hoses.

20. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Here's one of their videos explaining how to use Quickjacks laterally under a vehicle -

21. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    What are those white feet? I have a quick jack and a little concerned about scratching the epoxy on the floor (although so far so good),

22. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    They are a soft rubber feet I got at the hardware store in the section for furniture floor protection. I also didn't want to risk damaging the epoxy floor.

23. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    i have it for 5years now on my 328 no problem at all,the only thing i do is use Hockey pucks in the trays,unlock the targa top as the car flexes when you lift it up,i also put magnets on the safety legs so the stay up when i let the car down.

24. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    5000SLX for my '78 GTS. Love it. I use the short rubber pads and a healthy dose of paranoia when raising just to ensure the pads are properly placed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    It would be nice to have a way to lock the two bases together.