1966 aluminum Ferrari 275 GTB searching for | Page 10 | FerrariChat

1966 aluminum Ferrari 275 GTB searching for

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by asgtech, Dec 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    This car might’ve slipped through the hands of Kirk White...FASCINATING THREAD!!

of2worlds likes this.
  2. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    ...I just discovered this thread...thoroughly fascinating!!!..thank you all...Ferraris are “life” to me and this thread illustrates while I feel privileged to be associated with the great people in this thread...I often say I was born a generation too late as,unlike now,I would’ve been able to own cars like this!...I love ANY Ferrari but my heart lies with the vintage cars of this era...Andy,just think-you owned,drove,and enjoyed a car that most can only dream about now plus,on another level,you’ve been able to connect with so many other interesting people all because of a “car”!...as I said in my last post I’d run all this information by Kirk White who was the East Coast “Ed Niles”...big Ferrari trader back in the day that I’m sure all are familiar with...I’ve read a lot of chapters from his book “Don’t Wash Mine”...perhaps he may be able to uncover information pertaining to your car...also,Phil Tegtmeir who was at Algar back in he day might be of help...” throw enough stuff on the wall and something will stick”...thanks to ALL again who make up this great community...

Tenney and of2worlds like this.
  3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Best regards to The Tegtster!

4. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Amazing— if I only had a time machine—:-(

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    of2worlds likes this.
  6. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Correct Marcel. It was chartreuse at the time; later sold, crashed and eventually resurrected by Wayne Sparling.

of2worlds and Marcel Massini like this.
  7. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Love the line "We seem to be lousy with GTOs".

8. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #234 miurasv, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Mr Gagarin's Alloy 275 GTB was not a Torque Tube car.

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I suspect that Andy's old car is s/n 8029.

of2worlds and Marcel Massini like this.
  10. PeteM1965

PeteM1965 Rookie

Nov 17, 2005
    Hi, I know I'm late chiming in. I was reminiscing about some of my old cars and Googled my old 6-Carb Alloy's serial number 08157 and found this thread. I owned 08157 from around 1987 to around 1993 I think when it was sold to David Letterman through Miller Motorcars in Greenwich.

I purchased 08157 from Nick Soprano of Motor Classics. He told me that the previous owner was Peter Livanos. I used to hang out and talk with Ed Jurist of The Vintage Car Store in Nyack, NY a lot. He showed me records that 08157 had passed through his hands in the late 60's in a trade for for a big block Corvette.

Under my ownership the car underwent a total restoration by Berlinetta Motorcars and a color change to Fly Yellow it had been several shades of red over its lifetime.

One unique feature of the car was that it had a lip around the rear fenders not unlike those on a Chairs and Flares Dino, but only about half the width. These did not look to have been done post factory.

I hope this information helps somebody.

375+ likes this.
  11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    As of 1984 this 275 was listed as owned by Earle W. Hartley, Jr., of Thomaston/CT.
    08157 was shown by you in September 1987 at the Garden State Fall Festival in Mendham, NJ/USA, and in 1991 at the National Ferrari Concours in Washington D.C., where it placed 1st in class.

Marcel Massini

375+, of2worlds and AtSomePoint like this.
  12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #238 miurasv, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
    08157 doesn't appear to have a lip around the rear wheel arches, as pictured in LJK Setright's book Ferrari, when being tested at the Pirelli Proving Grounds, as posted by Marcel Massini here. Do you have any pictures to post?

13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    TTBOMK 08157 was born as alloy six carb.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds and miurasv like this.
  14. asgtech

asgtech Rookie

Dec 5, 2019
    Islamorada, FL
    Full Name:
    ANDREW GAGARIN
    After reading PeteM1965"s post there's still hope that a former car dealer in Danbury, CT will chime in that he bought my car 1970 and still has a record of the serial number.
    Andy Gagarin

15. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    You didn't find anything re the VIN number in June?

16. asgtech

asgtech Rookie

Dec 5, 2019
    Islamorada, FL
    Full Name:
    ANDREW GAGARIN
    Got back to RI and have been searching my files with the hope that I'll find something with the VIN but no luck so far. I should mention that it's not a trivial task. The house in RI that we live in has been in the family since 1915 and we lived there full time from 1975 until 2010. I kept extensive records of everything and the amount of paper is massive. There's still hope.

There's also hope that a forum member with access to Chinetti's service records might be able to find the VIN on the service invoice of the new muffler.

Maybe my prayers to St Anthony of the Lost and Found will pay off someday.

Andy Gagarin