328GTS really hard to steer! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

328GTS really hard to steer!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Peterparnell, Jul 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mmyhorses

mmyhorses Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Coral Gables, FL - USA
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    Yep, this is what I got:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
  3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    205 is the front rim tire size, 225 is the rear. You don't swap tires front to back; are your rims not correct either?

4. mmyhorses

mmyhorses Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Coral Gables, FL - USA
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    No, I have not swapped them; I just bought the car. The rear came with 245/45. Do I need to change that too?

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ok... Vague memory, but. I recall a long-ago discussion on using (oddly) sizes tires, possibly exactly the sizes you have. Seems like one or two people had tried those sizes for some reason or another, probably relating to the appearance.

In any case, I believe you have the incorrect size tires on all four, unless the specifically 89 model have some particularity that I am unaware of.

mmyhorses likes this.
  6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    No, the '89 have exactly the same rims sizes and tyre dimensions than the other 328s. Factory dimension is 7" X 16 rims at the front, 8" X 16 at the rear.
    Tyre dimensions are, as said above, notably by Bertrand 205 / 55 / 16 front; 225 / 50 / 16 at the rear.
    The larger dimensions (= 225 at the front, 245 at the rear) are indeed sometimes fitted on the original rims, mainly for appearance; I suspect these larger tyres explain the heavier steering.

Rgds

(88 1/2 and 89 have a different suspension than the former cars - before chassis # 76626, although there are a few exceptions here and there after # 76626 still with the former suspension, mainly RHD cars - it is the "Mondial" suspension at the front, with longer A-Arms, different offsets, and wider track; that suspension can receive ABS, but it wasn't the main reason it was fitted, the factory always said it was for easing the parts procurement process; it can be identified by the bulged wheels).

mmyhorses likes this.
  7. mmyhorses

mmyhorses Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Coral Gables, FL - USA
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    This is VERY good info. Thanks!

Being that there are not many canyons in South Florida and it’s always summer here, what tires would you recommend me to get for lighter steeeing?

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I have "Michelin" Pilot Exalto 2 on both my '89 GTB and my '89 GTS.

The GTB was originally french delivered, by Pozzi, the historic french importer; the second half of the french delivered 328s (starting March 1988) were delivered with a very rare Michelin tyre, the MXX (NOT the TRX, which was on 308s only, starting 1982); that tyre, the Michelin MXX, which was very good in its days, is not available anymore, so, to stay more or less "period correct", I use its nearest modern equivalent, the "Michelin Pilot Exalto 2", which is a very good tyre, and the preferred choice of many french 328s owners.

I have the same tyres on my '89 GTS, although that car was originally sold new in Germany, so was fitted with Goodyears when new. (as were the first half of the french delivered 328s, before they switched to the Michelin MXX in 1988. Why the switch from Goodyears to Michelin in the middle of the delivery run is another small Ferrari mistery...).
    I would have liked to put "Goodyears" on that car, to stay more or less "period correct" (at least in spirit...), but couldn't find an answer in the right dimensions , so opted for "Michelin" Pilot Exalto 2 also.

Not being chauvinist, but it is a very good tyre. I don't track the cars, and you are not supposed to exceed 55 mph on standard roads, and 81 on highways, so...

Rgds

mmyhorses likes this.
  9. mmyhorses

mmyhorses Rookie

Apr 10, 2020
    Coral Gables, FL - USA
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    being that the "issue" I have is heavy steering, would you change just the front to 205/55R16 or would you go ahead and change the rear to
    225/50R16 also?

10. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Personally, I'd put 4 correct new tires on.

308 milano and mmyhorses like this.