cheapest 458? | FerrariChat

cheapest 458?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ross, May 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I don’t know anything about that particular car and I also don’t know if it’s the cheapest 458 out there. All I can say is that usually, generally speaking, the cheapest Ferrari is always the most expensive. That price tag would motivate me to be extra cautious. If it’s a great car, a steal at that price, then fine, I’m an idiot. If not, I just saved myself a ton of trouble.

Better course of action is to do one’s homework. Always. Regardless of price, but more so when something seems too good to be true (it usually is, more often than not).

Kind regards,

Nuno.

2. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    #3 ridege55, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
    46k miles and not heavily optioned. No lift, barely any carbon fiber, and no led steering wheel. Driver side Daytona seat does seem wrecked.

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    perfect daily. :)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    You didn't make it to the part about the repeated "failed emissions?"

5. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Non issue here in FL :D

6. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I would give it a good looking over. Raise it up. Look underneath for covered up leaks (steam cleaned). Wiggle the wheels for ball joint, wheel bearing, tie rod issues. Drive it to check the trans shifting. Shut it off and restart it a couple of times a few minutes apart. If all seems well, all is likely well. Make a deal and enjoy your new toy!

7. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    You are right! Just looked again and also saw that AutoCheck listed an accident reported on 6/18/18

8. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    High mileage and accident make it appropriately priced (or maybe even slightly high depending on condition and quality of repair), not cheap.
    As others have said, the "cheapest" Ferrari may cost you the most money at the end.

IloveGT and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  9. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    ^this

10. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    I'd get it checked out. If mechanically sound, i'd offer 100k and drive the **** out of it. Hit up all the rallies, cars and coffee, concours, and drive it cross the country (after covid). Track it , tune it , put a badass exhaust and never worry about anything. Even it you put 15k miles on it in a year, it'll still be worth 90K. You would get to know the 458 really well and would be "That cool Guy" who drives his ferrari all the time. Of course you do realize this is all wishful thinking and fantasy... lol

up4speed and ross like this.
  11. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    #12 Sargepug, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
    Very cheap, but for many reasons! High mileage for a Ferrari, a lot of wear on drivers seat, accident on the report, failed emissions, many owners, etc. Also, the early year 458s had bugs that weren't worked out till '13... What was the MSRP, options, etc?
    In comparison, my '14 I just bought, had 4,400 on the clock. Smells brand new inside, w/ near flawless paint and interior (there are always flaws, even when new). It's also second to last model year, no accidents reported, optioned to the nines, w/ a sticker close to $300k. It came w/ a novatec lowered suspension 21/22 forgiatos w/ huge rubber and original flawless rims and tires. I paid $194k....
    Since then, i took off the 21/22 set and selling them. It's only for LA / Miami type roads and I painted my stocks black. She's now perfect for me! Here's the before and after, IMO looks much better and world of diffenece on comfort...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    beautiful, definitely looks way better .... very nice car.

Natkingcolebasket69 and Sargepug like this.
  13. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Thx Tahahal!

14. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thank you for telling us and showing us your beautiful car.

IF the car i posted were of that year, in that condition, and with those options, and with that mileage, AND still offered at a price nearly 1/3rd and $75k cheaper THEN i would be worried about something.

it is precisely because this car has high mileage, worn condition, and lower options, that it is offered at $119k.

if i were in the mkt for something like this, i would simply have it checked out by a reputable garage and if it checked out other than obvious condition and lack of service, then i would bid the guy $100 cash and probably receive the keys.
    and THEN it would make for a fantastic deal !
    i could then spruce it up a bit, take care of the obvious issues, give it a good service, and then drive the wheels off it, immune to concerns of mileage and door dings etc.

that is the way i treat my 430 - i enjoy driving it more because i am unconcerned with putting more miles on it, and i dont need to worry about where i park it.
    its insured.
    no emotional attachment.

perfect scenario

VAF84, m5shiv, Sargepug and 1 other person like this.
  15. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    lol, great minds think alike ... the whole idea is to enjoy the driving experience. These cars so much fun to drive, worrying about mileage, where to park and etc is so annoying ...

Sargepug likes this.
  16. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    told a buddy about this, and will try to go see it today or tomorrow, and i will report back

17. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    Im my limited ferrari buying experience, you should buy the car based on it being the right car, not the cheapest. If this car is the former, then go for it.

There are very few low total cost of ownership ferrari experiences. You either pay up front, or pay and pay on the back end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sargepug and Tamahal like this.
  18. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    went to see it today.
    - the accident of 6/18/18 was to the left front fender. the fender (plastic bumper surround piece) was painted, but badly done. the color and shine is not an accurate match. the front sharp corner of the metal wing that fits next tot he plastic bumper piece sits about 4-5 mil proud of the plastic bumper -ie the fit is off. there did not appear to be any damage to the metal or to the substructure holding it up, but not fully visible. the work was done poorly.
    - there are numerous paint blemishes from either scratches or polish burns, small dents, etc.
    - the red crackle finish on the engine cover is cracked and flaking off - which indicates some extended periods of high heat here in texas where the last 20k miles have been added by the last owner since he bought it in 2017.
    - previous owner is a local to houston who traded it in against a 488 with this exotic dealer.
    - the interior is dirty. not gross, but needs a really thorough cleaning with leather cleaner and conditioner.
    - i didnt see a tool kit
    - the driver seat is well worn and wallowed in by a heavyset driver, but can be resuscitated.
    - the middle of the dash has heat damage - big bubbled up area about the size of a brisket
    - they received it with no cel lights on, but have not run it more than a few miles so entirely likely it was delivered with newly extinguished lights, but the problems remain - to be tested.
    - tires and rims ok.

this car needs to be inspected by a pro, but it has clearly not been pampered.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  19. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks Ross. I do enjoy reading through threads like this. I purchased my 458 back in December for considerably more than this example. The fear I had when I originally read this thread, was that I overpaid. However when I went through the details of this ad and what you examined, it reconfirmed that I bought mine right. My 458 is a 2013 with 7,500 miles (when I purchased it). I have driven it about 1,000 miles since, and all good. I don’t know how many smiles per miles it has added to my life, but it has been a well worth purchase.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  20. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    this actually will be most expensive Ferrari later.

21. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    well of course it is a case of horses for courses.

the 458 of this thread is actually worth about $100k as it stands today (barring any mechanical issue discovered upon thorough inspection), and it would take $5-10k to get it to a level where it was just the mileage dragging the price down.
    at that point, it would still be worth it.

the last owner drove it for nearly 3 years and put 20k miles on it.
    i firmly believe he had a lot of fun doing so, and he lost maybe 50k in the process - it was probably worth it to him.

i need cars like this and i have a few.

i also love cars that are in perfect order and i keep them that way.

there is a purpose for everything.

the buyer of this car should just get it in shape and continue driving it heartily.

AlfistaPortoghese, VAF84 and Tamahal like this.
  22. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Well we can’t say that based on the cosmetic condition of the car. These cars are rock solid and high Mileage doesn’t necessary mean it’s a bad car. Again it’s a 2011 with 46,000 miles on it, there is no comparison to a 2013 with low miles to a person who’s gonna drive 2000 miles a year. If this car is mechanically sound, 100k is a great deal. It could be driven, which is what these cars are made for, with out worrying about putting mileage on it or resale , and other things we all worry about. I just don’t think the dealer will sell it for a 100k, especially if a PPI showed the car to be sound.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

23. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Totally agree 100%!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Accident history, multiple failed emissions and high mileage. Yep, hard pass.