Toolkit at auction | FerrariChat

Toolkit at auction

Discussion in '206/246' started by Bluebottle, May 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    That looks very original to me for the correct Dino model though. Not cheap I assume.

Best, Peter

2. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Would be nice to have some closeup pictures of spanners and screwdrivers (And pliers for that sake) to rule out repro tools...Tony would know more just from looking at the pictures readily available. Jack looks correct, just missing the top cap. So do the wheel chuck, both bags and spark plug wrench.

dgt likes this.
  3. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Bag and tool roll are later E-series but I think the case stamped Bellux triangles were 206 (plus early L-series maybe)?
    Screwdrivers look to be different colored handles... need to check lengths of screwdrivers and pliers.
    Spanners look ok from the 1 closeup shot, they should really pull all the tools out of the bag.

4. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    The Bellux triangles lasted into the E series for part of their run. My car 04054 is a May 1972 car and came with it's original Bellux triangle with the same case as the one in that kit but mine is made of red plastic as opposed to blue.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Estimate: 12,000 Euro

6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Difficult to say but the spanners look like repro and the screwdrivers look the same ie one should be small flat head and one large philips head, both shanks look the same diameter to me.

12K, thats expensive

Makes these look a bargain at £1500 a set :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I agree on the spanners and screwdrivers Tony. There is excess plastic flash around the shaft on one of the screwdrivers from where the handle has been moulded to it which is a bit of a giveaway. Here are my 48 year old screwdrivers for comparison. Italian plating finishes were not the best and have deteriorated over time. You can even see this has happened inside the plastic handle which has also aged and discoloured somewhat. The variation in shaft thickness between the flat blade and the Philips is obvious as well on the originals and the shape of the handle collar where it meets the shaft is different. The ones in this auction kit look like they could be ones Perfect Reflection products used to make. The spark plug wrench also looks different to my originals which are the same as those in Matthias' Compendium photo's.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

375+ and TonyL like this.
  8. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Conclusion; The tool set could be original or could be repro or could be a mix. Now a days, I would never buy a tool kit without having my hands on the tools and a few days research time available. The money involved is fueling so much creativity that it has become as risky to buy tools for Dino's as it is to buy high end watches on your holiday trip to Africa.

Best, Peter

VetroresinaNL, Nuvolari and TonyL like this.
  9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I know mine are correct as we used your items to 3D copy :)

pshoejberg and isuk like this.
  10. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Was this consigned by Theo Winstone?

11. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Yes, It was all Bellux up to early E-series (I wasn’t sure after that) but the cases changed. Sounds like they started putting the Bellux embossed cases in again. My early E had most of the original tool kit and the case was the old vintage car profile (blue).
    Good to know this item is likely correct in this kit.

12. theowinstone

theowinstone Karting

May 27, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Theodore Winstone
    I am the consigner of this Dino tool kit.

I am certain the spanners are original - they had lost most of their plating when I got them and were pretty ugly so I buzzed them up on a wire wheel and applied WD40 to protect them which might explain why they appear quite fresh looking in the photos. As for the plastic flash on the screwdriver shafts, I must have 40x late 60's/early 70's red Ferrari screwdrivers in different tool kits currently and 90% have excess plastic on the shafts! That is just the low quality nature of these tools. The screwdrivers here are 1x Phillips and 1x flat head, yes there is a little colour difference on the handles and from memory shafts are equal length. See attached photo of the plug spanner, it looks spot on to me. As pointed out the jack is missing the rubber top cap, otherwise it works fine and is definitely a real one... I bought this tool kit 90% complete as part of a huge tool kit collection amassed by a French concessionaire which went out of business in the 80's. I have seen the Bellux as late as very early 308 GT4s so felt it totally correct to put it into this 246 kit. I only have a photo of the plug spanner on the computer as the tool kit is currently on its way to RM, please ask them for any further photos you'd like to see.

Many thanks
    Theo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

375+ likes this.
  13. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I tend to agree that the quality of the original tools are poor at best but i have never seen flash injection moulding on any original screwdrivers, perhaps you have got a bad batch!

The screwdriver shanks are the same length give or take a little but the handles are not the same, the philips head & shank diameter is much bigger.

If you are quite certain the spanners are original then fine but why stop at them, the pliers could do with a bit of spit and polish as well, it always makes a potential buyer very wary when a tired looking set of 40+ year old tools have patina on them and then a brightly polished set next to them. Best to leave them alone in future.

The plug spanner you show in this post looks like an original to me.

Best regards and hope you realise your asking price.

Tony

VetroresinaNL likes this.
  14. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Jack missing top rubber.