Two fewer Porsches, one more Ferrari for Le Mans.... | FerrariChat

Two fewer Porsches, one more Ferrari for Le Mans....

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by lorenzobandini, May 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. #1 lorenzobandini, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
    The gist:

"Porsche Withdraw IMSA GTLM Cars From 2020 Le Mans 24 Hours

GTE Pro Entry down to 9 cars

Porsche Motorsport have confirmed that their GTE Pro entry for the 2020 Le Mans 24 Hours will be reduced from the planned four-car squad to two, whether or not the race goes ahead as (re) planned in September.

The economic impact of the COVID19 crisis has been directly cited as the reason behind the move which will see the pair of full-season CORE autosports-run IMSA Porsche 911 RSR-19s now not making the trip for the 24 Hours."

"That leaves the GTE Pro entry currently at 9 cars – two apiece from Porsche Team, Aston Martin Racing, AF Corse (Ferrari) and Corvette Racing plus a solo Ferrari from Risi Competizione."

"That should see the first, second and third reserve entries elevated to full entry status with the #55 Spirit of Race Ferrari (Duncan Cameron and co), the #4 ByKolles (the Gibson-powered LMP1 car) looks set to be added to the entry – Tom Dillmann the first named driver, as does a second IDEC Sport-entered ORECA 07 Gibson in LMP2, their #17 car entered with Patrice Lafargue the first named driver."

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/05/08/porsche-withdraw-imsa-gtlm-cars-from-2020-le-mans-24-hours

.html

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Expect more casualties along the way.
    Covid-19 will also affect some sponsors.

3. Yup. Even if this add'l Ferrari runs, I wish it were Pro, there's enough in Am already (now 13 of 20; again, if they all run).

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    not to mention the entire sports car racing calendar being condensed into 12 weeks is going to make it logistically impossible for many teams.

IMSA is in laguna Seca on Sept 6, LM24 is Sept 20, IMSA is at Mid Ohio the following weekend (Sept 25-7). that's a big challenge.

william likes this.
  5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Unlike Corvette, Aston or Porsche, Ferrari doesn't run a factory team in GTE, do they?
    That may explain why not many run in Pro.

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That maybe why Porsche pulled out their 2 IMSA entries from Le Mans.
    Even for them, it would be a logistic nightmare.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Exactly.

Racing news sites so desperate for any sort of content looking to bolster their clicks by reporting this
    (and they're ALL reporting it) and perhaps the biggest racing non-story of the year (so far). Then, come into the F-Chat racing forums and there it is again, posted as fresh news.

The logistics of packing up a two car team, all the spares, tools, etc. that go with them (not to mention
    team members) from the U.S. to France and back is simply enormous. Reading anything more into this
    than what it is being pure folly.

BHW

8. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
  9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  10. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Truthfully unless they located some newfound speed Corvette was the slowest in class.

11. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

It is all BoP

12. #12 lorenzobandini, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
    A piece of cake. BoPing to the rescue. A few centmeters less of restriction, and/or a few pounds off; or a few pounds on the opposition and/or a few more cms of restrictor........voila., problem solved. Real racing. :rolleyes:

13. bertha01

bertha01 Rookie

Sep 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    bertha ales
  14. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    I can see this being the end for GTE, at least GTE PRO. GTE AM can survive for a few more years with trickle down factory cars, there are a lot of them out there. The entries for LeMans have collapsed almost as fast as LMP1 did, although a year or so later. We’ve gone from 18 cars in 2019 to only what, seven I think for this years race. It’s easy to say it’s just the Corona virus, but the writing has been on the wall for a while. Ford Veni Vidi Veci’d and left at the end of the 18-19 season. BMW pulled out of Europe last year and now we are losing the Porsche IMSA effort from LeMAns as well as Corvette. Yes I’m only talking LeMAns here, but does anyone thin any of the factories would have poured in the cumulative hundreds of millions if to run in the category if it wasn’t part of LeMans? No way. I think it’s another class that’s priced itself out of the market place.

I think this could be the final nail in the coffin for GTE. It may limp on into 2021, but I see a GT3 Pro class coming to replace it if the ACO can play nice with SRO. Longer lap times are already on the horizon for Hyper cars and LMDh that means LMP2 will have to be reigned in a bit, now with GTE dying a natural death it's probably the perfect time for GT3 to step up. That's not necessarily a bad thing as GT3 cars have got stupid fast and expensive over the last few years, although they are a bargain compared to GTE. Today GT4 is much closer to what GT3 used to, and should, be. I wonder if GT3 back fills GTE they will loosen the reigns on them slightly as they are all BOP'd down to an artificially slow pace?

william likes this.
  15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I can tell you that here in France there is huge will to see the race happen, it will happen unless the summer generates too many new virus infections due to beach promiscuity etc. Nobody can predict that, we have to wait for early August to see if the numbers flare up again and no one can predict that answer.

It doesn't matter if a few also ran's declare defeat early but of course the logistical nightmare of doing all this safely costs more money...