Ferrari Speciale vs Pista - feeling/performance/grip?! | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Speciale vs Pista - feeling/performance/grip?!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tekaefixe, Jul 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sound difference - Speciale clearly
    Throttle response is absolutely indistinguishable

2. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Yup mine has IPE headers back and the sound is absolutely epic.
    It’s a must IMO to perfect the V8 F1 sound

Sent from my 16M

3. JohannGT4

JohannGT4 Rookie

Jul 20, 2019
    France
    The Pista is better than the Speciale in every aspect but the sound.
    Its rear diffuser helps high-speed stability and gives the Pista an edge, it's better looking than the Speciale...
    Despite that, I truly believe the sound is one of the most important feature in a car and that's what gives me pleasure when driving a car.
    The Pista let down lots of people because of that even though it's a great car.
    That's why I'll never own a McLaren, they produce amazing cars, very efficient on tracks but it's not a NA engine: terrible sound, can't rev to 9000 rpm, turbo lag.

Clay512TR and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Ferrari has done a pretty good job to address turbo lag though.
    As for the noise, each to their own - personnally I don't care much about a V8, only a V12 is special to me. Then the compromise is between weight and sound, not between NA and turbo.

5. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It may just be me but.... I love the styling of the regular 458 - one of the prettiest Ferraris/cars ever imo. And while I appreciate the Speciale for what it is, I think it's styling is somewhat awkward...it doesn't look right. To me, because the 458 body is so rounded and curvaceous, the Speciale add-ons look out of place and in fact like "add-ons". With CS, Scud and Pista, I much prefer the looks of them over the base cars. With the Speciale, I much prefer the base 458.

If it were me, I'd take a 16M Spud and a Pista Spider. Then, a 360 Spider with a manual, and a regular 458 Spider.

6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    you love correcting owners when you don’t own and haven’t actually driven any of these cars.

Boomhauer, Surfah and Shadowfax like this.
  7. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    How could I miss this post? This is a good one!

8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Oh then you’ll really love the gen 3 iPod in my 16M!

Sent from my 16M

9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I wouldn't have expected something like that from you, sir, since you have been subjected to the same abuse.

10. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    How can you talk about the most recent Ferraris if you don’t own any of them?! Sure one can test drive this or that but REAL knowledge about a product you will never have, example 720s is amazing and super fast but that’s all I can say because I don’t own one just a test drive. About a the pista, no clue, never driven one but it’s beautiful.

Boomhauer and Gh21631 like this.
  11. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    when have I been? I try and not make definitive statements on here when I don’t have personal experience mate. By in large I get along very well with everyone on here and rarely have a falling out.

Boomhauer and Gh21631 like this.
  12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Sir, I have a recent-ish Ferrari, but I have a great one, in anger, more than my enough share, I would think. Next time you know, please sod off!!!

13. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Your credibility has sod off indeed.

Boomhauer likes this.
  14. DRPM

DRPM Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Montreal Quebec
    Had a 458 Italia for 3 years.
    Bought the Speciale last year and not at all disappointed,
    haven’t tried the Pista yet so no value here for me to comment, other than it’s a pretty car and probably goes like a bat out of hell. My only
    reservation is turbo lacks the high revving Ferrari engine / exhaust tone that I am crazy about in NA engines.
    For less money I’d probably go with a GT2RS if I had to decide on a high HP turbo track car.

Wikdstrate and plastique999 like this.
  15. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    Throttle response Is different : Speciale is amazing, tiny turbo lag for Pista

Attached Files:

16. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    I just drove Speciale then Pista:

Speciale is incredible! road handling sharp as happiness!

Pista performance level is very high the car has no faults !
    but it lacks sharp and magic of the Speciale V8 with 9000 RPM :)

Speciale maybe the best Ferrari :cool:

17. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    :)

Attached Files:

18. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    Pista's reassuring understeer bothers me a bit

19. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Pista is better looking to my eye. Looks more muscular. I never loved the front end of the speciale.

20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    My understanding is that understeer is addressed by the suspension tuning performed by Manthey Racing...

21. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    indeed !

22. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Or a light prod of the throttle:D!

sampelligrino likes this.
  23. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    How much “faster” is the Pista compared to the Speciale. I am asking in terms of street use, not track use.
    The Speciale is plenty fast on the street... wondering if the Pista has useable speed on the street.

If one had a Speciale, would they upgrade to the Pista? I’m extremely happy with my S, especially with IPE system on the NA V8 for pure F1 sound.

Sent from my 16M

Manda racing likes this.
  24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    #199 italiafan, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
    On the “street” the true functional difference between them is approaching zero IMO. I was goofing around with a friend on a very back country ranch road (no side streets, fenced off groves), I was in my Speciale and he was in his chipped 488GTB (I know...not a Pista, but he is pushing similar HP). Up to just over 100mph we were exactly neck-n-neck, over the next 1/8 to 1/4 mile he was about a car-length ahead. At that point we were really “moving.”
    On more normal streets we would never have pushed the cars that hard....never. In fact that was the fastest I had gone in any car on the “street” in my life. So, fastest I had ever pushed on street in my life over a total distance of 1/2 mile; I suspect a Pista would be about 1-2 car lengths ahead in similar situation...not enough of a performance differential for me to care.

(Disclaimer to LEOs....I’m just making this up to sound like an internet keyboard hero. ;))

25. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    With the enormous power available, the metric by which to measure these cars is do the hairs on the back of your neck stand at attention, do goose bumps trickle down your spine, do you gasp for breath, does a rush of adrenaline fill your being, does an ear to ear grin appear on your face and does the driving experience excite all the right senses?

Clay512TR likes this.