2 Front bonnet questions. | FerrariChat

2 Front bonnet questions.

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jcorallo, Apr 25, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcorallo

jcorallo Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    Once again new to ferrari's and just bought my 86 testarossa. It is almost impossible to get the front of the car closed. When I push down it just keeps on clicking and doesn't stay shut. What am i missing??????

Also when did these cars start coming with lights int he front bonnet. Mine doesnt not have one.

Thanks!

2. KENCO

KENCO Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    FL
    Full Name:
    KJG
    Latch needs adjustment. Mine is very well sealed and needs an extra firm palm to get it to click. I don't remember if mine has a light up front, but I know that the light switch needs to be on inside the car for the those type of lights to work.

3. 90TR

90TR Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2005
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I have a 90TR and just went through the replacement and adjustment of the cables for my front bonnet. The adjustment was fairly straight forward....replacement was not. I bring this up because you do not want to cut or break the cable that is connected to the handle beside the drivers seat. Trust me on this!

To adjust mine I had to first verify that the pins were striking the latches correctly. Both sides on mine were. My problem was with the cable adjustments. The Passenger side was too tight and the drivers to loose (after I replaced it). The pivot point for both cables is located under the bonnet carpet on the Drivers side; just in front of the windshield. All I needed was the proper size box head and a pair of pliers. Took 10 minutes to adjust with a little trial and error.

On the other hand- Replacement of the cable took about 1-2 hours in labor; 1 hour of complaining and another hour or two to get the new parts.

Let me know if you need more info and Good Luck.

Bill

4. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Greetting all.. here is my $.02. I recently replaced the cable on the hood latch. Was not a major job. Don't remove the plastic tube with the cable. Just remove the metal cable then slide the new cable into the tube and walla she comes out the top. The secondary cable looks like a doosy. I too have the same problem. I adjusted the latches and still no good. I think the problem is air. The weatherstrip around the front trunk opening is very snug and is causing air when closing the hood. You can actually hear it. My recommendations. Do not slam the hood shut - it won't work. Still only one side will latch - the side your on. Place the hood down then go to each corner and apply slight pressure. The latch will clasp and your done. You can probably raise the latches way up high but the down side is that when the hood is closed you will not an even line with the fender. The corners of the hood will be elevated and that will look ugly and it will also let air travel under. May cause some wicked air noise at high speeds - oops i mean at the speed limit. lol.

Hope this helps

R
    Mr. Chairman
    90 TR

5. jcorallo

jcorallo Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    Ok thanks for the help. I am going to dive in and adjust those latches. Thanks!

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I know this is a very old thread but I am having the same exact issue on my 512tr .. hood clicks but does latch .. using screw driver shaft on latches works ..tried adjusting the latches ..didn't seem to make a difference .. it has always been a bit of a pain to close but now no matter what I do I can't latch the front hood

I was wondering what was the final fix ..or if anyone else has the same symptoms and a fix

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

7. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    My car's previous owner showed me his technique. Gently lower the hood. Two hands above the driver's side latch and press down slowly. Repeat over the passenger side. If I reverse the order it won't click.

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Thanks for the suggestion ..yes I have been doing that since I bot it ..but this year my issue has arose .. looking to understand what could have happened ..the release level seems to be working and cabling seems fine ..not sure what adjustment I should be looking at

raysur likes this.
  9. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I always freak out when I have to adjust those cables. If you screw up and the hood will not unlatch it is a big problem!!! Good Luck!! Does anyone know of a way to install a back up?

10. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Don’t dent the hood - it is easy to do! Thin aluminum!

turbo-joe likes this.
  11. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Formula Junior

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Do you want a third method to open hood? Or is your emergency release cable missing?

turbo-joe likes this.
  12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Opening is not the issue ..trying to match close

13. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Make sure the spring returns the latch all the way. Sometimes they hang a little short!

flash32 and turbo-joe like this.
  14. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Not in front of it now but the screw driver shaft latches when I put in the slot .. do you think still springs .. I lub everything as well ..