K-jet fuel distributor mixture adjustment screw covering bolt issue | FerrariChat

K-jet fuel distributor mixture adjustment screw covering bolt issue

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by dradambbb, May 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    It has transpired that the bolts covering the mixture adjustment screw on both distributors have been overtightened and the thread has gone. I'm pretty angry that this has happened but enough about that. Any suggestions on how to proceed, ideally without removing the fuel distributors? The car is an 1987 TR.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ExtraTx

ExtraTx Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I don't know specifically on the Testarossa, but every CIS mixure port I have ever seen has been plugged with a brass plug. This is because it is against emissions laws to have user adjustable mixture. The brass plugs get drilled and removed leaving a smooth hole, which can then be tapped for a bolt or plugged again. I have one car that I put a bolt in the plug, and I just pull it out to adjust, and tap it back in to plug. Another car didn't have the plug so I tapped it and plugged. Finally another car just had a proper size bolt wrapped heavily in teflon tape and "screwed" in.

Proper way to do it is remove the unit like in the picture, tap it, and reinstall. I wouldn't risk tapping it in place, as it would be too hard to catch the shavings. If that aluminum gets stuck on an intake or exhaust valve, the valve will end up burnt.

3. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    You can carefully cut a M6 mm metric thread (Use a vacuum cleaner while tapping the thread, lubricate with spirit). Then install a M6x10 mm unbrako bolt with a washer and a tight o-ring below the head. Works like a charm and can be removed at any time if adjustment is needed.

Best, Peter

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    take a rubber cone

Shamile likes this.
  5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    #5 Motob, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
    The very first cars with CIS, like the VW Rabbit/Audi Fox had a very nice rubber plug molded around a metal rod with a ring on the end. I use two of these when adjusting the mixture on a TR or one on a 308/328, as you need to plug the hole to keep the unmetered air leak from causing a lean mixture.

I would just put two of these in the airflow meters. They might be hard to find, but here is what they look like:
    https://autopartsfair.com/volvo-engine_parts/240-1982-air_intake-b3050_18622bos_2.html

Porsche uses them as well, but they are kind of pricy. I remember when they where $5 each, guess I am getting old.:
    https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/91111093401.htm?pn=911-110-934-01-OEM&utm_source=googleppc&utm_term=91111093401&utm_campaign=Shopping+Feed&gclid=CjwKCAjwqdn1BRBREiwAEbZcR1Dw_Y7X3FTaWzzTlPf3sjE4kiBD9uCGVPL-SPQ0-V8Tv2Np59tvOhoCScAQAvD_BwE

6. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Thank you all for suggestions. Cutting in a new thread might be a little risky with the fuel metering assemblies in-situ even with the presence of a vacuum cleaner that attempts to mop up any loose bits. I like the idea of trying to find a suitable rubber cone to plug the holes. If it's conical enough the fit should be tight enough for them to stay in place especially as they would be sucked when the engine is running. I'll update on my progress in due course.

7. dradambbb

dradambbb Karting

Apr 24, 2016
    London
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Thanks for the suggestion but I presume that you use these only when tuning, right?

8. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    You leave them in after the tuning. Covers the air leak.

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    such cones are used in the chemical industry. if you have connection to a chemical teacher at school he could help you.

horrible price :(
    so I think getting old also ;)

pshoejberg likes this.
  10. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    A cat can be skinned in many ways. I admit that cutting a thread seems quite dramatically if you can buy a custom build rubber plug for the same purpose. Anyhow here is a picture from the CIS in my 308QV showing the small "unbrako" plug I installed with the CIS still located in the running car many years ago...Repair time: took 5 minutes, cost: 0.5$, appearance: very discrete, function: "never looked backed", reversibility: you can always add a rubber plug and now the threads will keep the plug tight....-:)

Best, Peter

Image Unavailable, Please Login

turbo-joe likes this.
  11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I would not do so. what about the debris when you put in the srew?
    if you take out of the car then I not see a problem

12. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I don't think a small piece of aluminum is a big problem and with a little creativity and good suction from a vacuum cleaner I think you will be safe. Can you imagine how many aluminium cuttings there were potentially left over in a new engine in 1982 and sucked through the system at first start up?....But if your still worried you can push down the metering plate and put a small cup below the hole while tapping the thread (Soda bottle screw lid could possibly be used).

Best, Peter

turbo-joe likes this.
  13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    or you may use an aluminum magnet ;)

it is easy to remove the complete unit and then you are on the save side

pshoejberg likes this.
  14. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    When I adjust the mixture, I use a silicone plug - I got it by pulling it out of the nozzle of a caulking gun after it had dried. Perfect seal.

dradambbb and turbo-joe like this.
  15. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    great idea ! :)

ago car nut likes this.
  16. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I remove the rubber plugs and reinstall the original screws after tuning a TR. Originally the Bosch rubber plugs with the handle were stock on Audis, VWs and Porsches with K-jet. You would remove them, adjust the mixture and then reinstall them. When the EPA and CARB got involved, you were supposed to tap in metal anti-tamper plugs after making a mixture adjustment.

Since the cost of the original rubber Bosch plugs with the handle is so high, I just use nice silicone tapered plugs (from the powder coating industry to plug holes when powder coating) and tap them into the AFM. There is no pressure and little vacuum in the AFM, so if they fit tight, they will not come out.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

turbo-joe likes this.