Italy and Coronavirus | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Italy and Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Albert-LP, Feb 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    As a restaurant owner I can tell you unequivocally that you are correct. restaurants are cash flow businesses and interruptions can be fatal, especially when this profound. some have been able to do a robust take-away business, while others, predominately fine dining are struggling to pivot, or quite frankly have expenses that are just too large to be offset by take-away only.

tritone and G. Pepper like this.
  2. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    I will take that a bit further, with the way Nations scrambled for medical supplies of all sorts because their supply chain was shipped overseas, I think you may very well see a stronger sense of Nationalism when it comes to economics and bringing more back within their boarders..

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Some of the reservations sites we use here to book a lunch or a dinner through internet (For instance: "La Fourchette" [= the Fork, which is only used for booking lunch/dinners]) have launched a system of "Booking Coupons": you buy now a future "lunch/dinner" for any specific amount of money, say 100 euros, which helps the restaurant to pass through the difficult times. I do my best to contribute; don't know when they will re-open, but I don't want them to go broke...

Rgds

absostone and Dai Baracca like this.
  4. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Last evening my wife and I watched a travel feature on Normandy. My wife has family there. We can not wait to be able to get back to Italy and la Belle France. There was a small segment on Honfleur where we have visited many times. We send our best wished to our friends on the continent and hope to be there ourselves when it is safe to do so and the airplanes fly once again.

Dai Baracca likes this.
  5. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    That is very good of you! There are restaurants that are doing that actively, and there are patrons such as yourself that do it on their own by purchasing them. It is my hope that restaurants will be able to open as soon as it is safe for all, maybe by July??
    I am supposed to visit my Zia in Paris in July, but I am doubtful. I go every year to see her, this would be the 1st time I cannot.

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    For the time being (= now, at May 10th; it can change...) what we do know is that nothing conclusive for travels will be announced before June 2nd, BUT the President has already said that for us Frenchmen and Frenchwomen, we should ready our minds to the perspective of enjoying the holiday season (= July and August) here in France.
    Traveling outside Europe will probably be "heavily restricted", which should mean near-to-impossible. Some restrictions should be lifted between european countries. I understand (= this is my understanding, nothing official yet) that, as the state of "sanitary urgency" has been extended to July 24th, before that date anyone wanting to enter in France would have to be quarantined at arrival for 14 days before being free to go (but nothing would prevent you being quarantined with your Zia I suppose...I suppose).
    As for restaurants, we should know at the beginning of June I suppose.

Everyone is still very itchy with the epidemy; a funeral two days ago in Dordogne was attended by a group of persons, in violation of the "distanciation rules": the result is a "cluster" of 20 more infections...the "dequarantine" is by no means a given matter; quarantine could be re-enforced very quickly everywhere if the virus start to spread again.

Rgds

Dai Baracca likes this.
  7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    See my answer above: I would be very surprised if any entry on the french soil would be allowed without a very specific purpose, and a 14 day quarantine at arrival, at least until July 24th, and probably later. Not before September would be my "educated" guess...that is IF, and that is a very big IF, the virus doesn't start to spread again before that date (and there is a fair chance that it will start to spread again...).

Rgds

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    How has it worked out for you?

9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Nerofer have they begun to reopen in France. ? Meaning easing restrictions

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Alberto I’m guessing you are cautious as with all people there, I’m sure you are enjoying the easing of restrictions and the ability to have more freedom to roam. I’m glad for that

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Easing restrictions will start tomorrow, May 11th.
    However...
    - 1) it will be only gradual; you will be allowed to travel by car inside the "département" where you are living, but you are NOT supposed to travel by train more than 60 miles without a "valid" reason; it means that commuting, for instance in the parisian region, will not be entirely free, furthermore, the "minimum security separation" of five feet between persons should be respected at all times, which is an unsolved question yet for the tube, trains, etc...AND wearing a mask in trains, the tube, etc...will be mandatory.
    This means that, for many businesses in Paris and its region, the answer is yet to be found: how to have your personnel coming at work, and going back home, during rush hours (6:30 to 9:30; then 16:30 to 19:30) AND respecting the "minimum security separation" of five feet is an unsolved matters; working in shifts? There is also the question of promiscuity in places like elevators, the office restaurants ("cantine", in French), so it will probably take some time and ingenuity before a working solution will be found.
    In the meantime, the instruction is: anyone who is not absolutely needed in his office and can work from home (how are you calling this in English? The french word is "Télétravail", meaning "working remotely") is very strongly encouraged to do so, and NOT come to the office.
    - 2) there are restrictions regarding the size of the shops that would be allowed to open: the larger "supermarkets", etc...are not supposed to open. Movie theaters, neither. Restaurants: no decision been taken yet, so they are supposed to remain closed (except for those selling "takeaway" food; cafés, still closed)
    - 3) external borders with our european neighbors: still closed, except for those living one side of the border and working on the other side.
    - 4) International travel: not allowed, except for emergency.
    The real worrying matter is the "second wave of infection", that everyone would like to avoid at all costs.

The next "rendez-vous" with the politics will be on June 2nd, unless something important (read here: the need for a new quarantine or confinement) happens in the meantime. On that day of June 2nd, the decision regarding restaurants and cafés should be in the order...

Rgds

12. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Yes similar eased restrictions are in place everywhere I guess, and depends on the country to what extent.. But at least now you can be out more often than just going to buy food. And businesses will need to figure out who will still work remotely.

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Question is: Germany.
    They have managed the crisis very efficiently, eased the lockdown two weeks ago, BUT now many sources are reporting that new cases are on the rise again...

Rgds.

14. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Maybe more people being tested now than before. Hard to say. But this covid has changed everything.

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE

absostone likes this.
  16. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    I am very fortunate, as I am established for 40 years, so we are able to keep most of our staff working with Take-Away and other projects within the restaurant.
    Thank you for asking. We just want to be ready at the other end of this. Hoping that things open a little more by the middle of June.

17. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Good to hear. Good luck

18. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    We are holding reservations for several properties, flying into Milano 8 September. I am not cancelling now. Will wait to see what happens.

Dai Baracca likes this.
  19. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Good luck to you. Hopefully all will be calm. I wish we were going. I was in the process of arranging a trip in April for the second week of June. We all know the rest of the story.

20. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I want to share a very good news for Modena area, that is the zone where I live: today we had just two (2) new infected among a 750+ k inhabitants we have in the whole "provincia di Modena".

It includes my village, Modena, Maranello and so on: it's a very low number, very close to zero, and much better than many others Italian (and not only...) areas.

ciao

PS: Saturday, after the severe absolute lockdown end, I finally started and drove a bit my car, after several months: you are still not allowed to drive where you want, but you can go to a fuel station or to the mechanic and so on

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NbyNW, calder1 and absostone like this.
  21. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Im very happy for that info. Im sure it feels good to be out.

Albert-LP likes this.
  22. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

We had only one new infected in Modena area, today (a 750000 inhabitants zone).

But the good news is another: it looks the virus is less dangerous, now. It means the possibility of surviving, if you are hit, are much higher, now.

Scientist don't know why yet, but they told they saw this: a much bigger percentage of ill patients with not so high virus effect like before.

ciao

NbyNW and absostone like this.
  23. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    That's good news. Was thinking about posting here today, My question is, how good does it feel to have some freedom with the ease in restrictions?

24. Dai Baracca

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    things seem to be opening up in France. my Zia told me that you are now allowed to drive up to 100km to see family. an expansion of being only allowed to drive within your district. I also read that Italy will open its boarders on June 2nd to foreigners?...I received an email from a place we go to in Puglia that they intend to be opening in June?
    in the same breathe I received an email this AM from AMEX telling me my flight to Paris in July was cancelled and to call them to arrange for a refund or reschedule. I already told my wife, I will go to Italy this year IF we are allowed.
    @Albert-LP spero che` la tua famiglia sta bene! e`ora puoi andare fuori un po perdere un puo l'aria senza preoccupazioni.

absostone likes this.
  25. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    I had a note from the Mandarin Oriental in Milano today saying they expect to be fully reopen (with practical restrictions) in June. My paid for United flight (for September) is currently showing that it is not operating. I do not have any guidance on when non-stop U.S. to Italy flights will be permitted. At this point, we are planning to come Sept. 7-21. visiting Milano, Lake Como, Pietrasanta, and back to Milano. Wishing all our Euro brothers and sisters Peace and Health. Keith

NbyNW and absostone like this.