Lost all gear oil today, 1991 Testarossa | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Lost all gear oil today, 1991 Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by PA32Pilot, May 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Well I don’t disagree but I’d have not been happy for sure ; I guess a dealer might have been able to chime some dollars on the repair ! U are very technical and savvy so u will be fine! Maybe while u are at it get a capristo exhaust or tubi to fully enjoy the beast once fixed;))Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shamile likes this.
  2. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Ordered a full Larini Exhaust. Pre cat delete, cat delete and their race exhaust.

I was more upset because I bought this car for my mom, it’s her birthday the 19th. She hasn’t been able to drive it yet as I’m waiting on registration paperwork. I’m also going to be Installing e-power steering for her.

I’ll need assistance from the pros here on assembly but I’m jumping in the deep end.

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Truly admirable

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Shamile likes this.
  4. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    My hat's off to you Jamie. I appreciate you taking this in stride as "things happen"

No different than when I bought my Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster and two months later the 7-9 header blew out. 16k later it was fixed and no blame to anyone.

You will get a lot of assistance here as this is a very technical forum.

Please post your exhaust and power steering ( cringe lol ) mods for everyone to see.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Really nat? Just because you threated to sue Ferrari of central Florida if they didn't do what you wanted. Things happen...grow a pair lol
    ...and no, I didn't ask the dealership for anything on the headers and I didn't ask Lamborghini Sarasota for anything when the radiator cracked two days later after I took delivery of my Murcielago Roadster...$4k later for racing radiators that were made to look stock for concours.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Smog it first otherwise... ;)

U got this awesome stuff!

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Uh no they paid buddy. They sold a car with no cats to CA, I won- different case then yours was an EPA violation.

Shamile likes this.
  8. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Your original post didn't have anything to do with a legal issue here. By your post you expect things not to happen...and if they do, it must be someone's fault. Guess what, sometimes it's no one's fault.
    Good luck trying anyone here to sell you a 512 tr. How may years will they have to look over their shoulder? lol

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

turbo-joe likes this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

Cars are out of warranty nobody should expect anything back. I’m just saying French ppl are cheap like that :)

Shamile likes this.
  10. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    lol! :D

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

11. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Well if you are willing to come down to SD I can point you into the right direction
    I have heard of good shops in Orange County too

Shamile likes this.
  12. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    This sucks for the OP. Bottom line, I feel bad for you man. Ugh. It could happen to me, or anyone. Mine is at 30k miles and I plan to do the diff at the next major in about five years. At 70k miles I will say that my opinion is a diff would be the first thing I do before driving it, and I've had made an offer on the car accordingly.

All this said, it's not shamille's fault. I often say what other people are thinking and get yelled at for it, but lets be honest, Shamille is one luck SOB for selling a 70k mile TR whose diff exploded 5miles later. It is what it is. Doesn't make him a bad guy.

turbo-joe and Shamile like this.
  13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    remove first the drive shaft left side and have a look then at the cover

14. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    From my experience, the diff issue was far and few between and seemed to be centered on the 87-89 high production years....at lower miles. If the diff issue was a bad batch with bad welds....how can that extend all the way into a late production 91?
    A lot of the experts here called the diff issue overblown. If my former 91 can suffer from it, than all Testarossas are at risk.
    If I felt that way in the beginning, I would have had it done when I did the major service in 2018. I hadn't decided to sell the car way back then. I wanted it to be a 100% reliable daily driver...which it always has been.

I think this whole post may be final proof for every Testarossa owner now.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

MOSS likes this.
  15. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    How many miles you had back in 2018 and you still drove the car??
    I do not know of any shop that pushes for a differential change based on mileage. A good idea to change it when you are doing a major yes but not like “do not drive it until you change it”

Shamile likes this.
  16. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #1 on trending!!!

Shamile likes this.
  17. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    I think it came out of the major at 67k or so. In fact Gabe even mentioned how smooth the car was at that there wasn't any noise from the diff. I didn't even ask him about it he just mentioned it. I was like..oh, ok...it can make noise?

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

18. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I am no expert, but I've researched the diff issue a lot. The diff plagued the TR series all the way until the 512M replaced it. It wasn't about bad welds, it was about bad design. There was some chart showing the number of failures versus mileage posted at some point. I'm sure the data was limited and certainly not up-to-date to 2020, but it showed the likelihood for a failure increases significantly around 30k miles and goes up from there. At least that's my memory, and I could be wrong.

My opinion, if it hasn't blown at 70k this doesn't mean it never will, it means you're truly driving on borrowed time, statistically, based on data posted here that was poorly representative of the population and which I don't remember the results of well. lol

turbo-joe and Shamile like this.
  19. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Imagine if 10 years ago you were approached by a time traveler and he was like "Look, I don't have much time to explain, all I can tell you is that the year 2020 is going to be wild as ****!

You know Donald Trump, the star of the apprentice? Well he's the president of the United States and at the beginning of 2020 he gets into a Twitter beef with Iran that almost starts world war 3.

Australia catches fire and a woman tries to save it by selling pictures of her tits.

Kobe Bryant dies in a helicopter crash. Half the world is devasted, the other half just makes ****ed up memes. Tom Brady leaves the Patriots to play for the Buccaneers.

And just when the world starts recovering from the loss of Kobe some dude in China eats a ****ing bat and starts a global pandemic that specifically kills old people and asthmatics.

Everyone loses their minds. 40% of the population thinks it's the end of the world another 40% thinks it's all fake and 20% blames the whole thing on cell phone towers.

The one thing everyone seems to agree on is that the only way to survive is by hoarding toilet paper. Grocery stores are ransacked and Charmin ultra soft essentially replaces the dollar as the United States official currency.

Eventually as hysteria grows, world governments are forced to shut the entire planet down and lock everyone in their houses and...

.... the only person that can keep the people from completely losing their fkn minds and starting a huge riot is a homosexual gun toting Oklahoma man with two husband's, a meth addiction, and 223 pet tigers...

And that was all before Spring!!!!!!!!!!

BONUS a 75k miles testarossa will be sold and its differential will explode within the first week and 50 miles of ownership!!!

20. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    From what I read and all the back and forth was that it was bad welds ( not contradicting you) and as I mentioned above. I just never heard of a diff going out in a late production Testarossa.

...and they did change it on the 94 512 TR. That's why I say Newman should be first choice. The only alternative was an OEM 512 tr diff from Ferrari. Back in the day a guy here with an 86 did it the Ferrari route. Gabe was actually involved with that install as he was the head tech at Central Florida Ferrari back then.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

21. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    It is bad that I laughed out loud at that? Sorry OP.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

22. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    This guy deserves a gold star for posting the absolute best Fchat TR forum post I've read in my two years of ownership. I only disagree on two things: I saw Tiger King Joe coming from a mile away and a 75k mile TR will blow a diff lol.

23. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hey Jamie,
    It sucks to read this. Fortunately you have a ton of options for shops. The closest is Eugenio's Ferrari Service right by the Trader Joes.

24. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
  25. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    He’s not taking new customers. Wanted his help on my 355 70k service and he said maybe in 2020 when he has an opening