convert 308 back to original.. | FerrariChat

convert 308 back to original..

Discussion in '308/328' started by forzaforzaforza, May 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. forzaforzaforza

May 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    I purchased a 1977 Euro 308 GTB in UK last year and planning to convert some of the modifications back

From what I can see from the pictures
    1) side indicator lights changed to QV style - is this just a simple indicator replacement or has the panel been modified to fit this?

2) rear valence changed to allow for quad pipe exit muffler

3) single exist exhaust changed to quad exit

Is the rear single exit valence part a part that would be possible to be sourced used by any chance?

If anyone has a rear single exit exhaust and or a rear single exit valence for sale I would be really happy to take it! Located in UK near Milton Keynes

thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Grim Reaper tr

Grim Reaper tr Karting

Oct 6, 2014
    Y
    Hi,

Your car has a complete 308 quattrovalvole nose panel and front bonnet on it...………...means its highly likely its had a big hit in the front end and the whole nose panel and front bonnet have been replaced with that from a 1983-1985 model year 308.

The whole rear valence panel has been replaced with an aftermarket unit.....not from any 308 or 328. Possibly a Koenig Special?

I hope the car was cheap and sorry if I'm raining on your parade.

Thanks,

Grim

3. forzaforzaforza

May 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    yes the QV bonnet I know about

how do you determine about the front nose
    clam as well? I guess the side indicator lights are a quick giveaway? It’s not possible to fit QV lights to an early style nose?

4. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Nope - different hole. You're looking down the barrel of a lot of time and money for very little gain. Make sure the rest of the car is worth it before you embark on this journey. When I bought my QV, I knew instantly that it would never be concours, so I haven't bothered with that aspect of it, but I've enjoyed getting it "right" - engine, suspension, electrics, cooling, etc. Short of pulling it down to a chassis and starting again, it will never get a trophy, but I like it!

FrannyB likes this.
  5. forzaforzaforza

May 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    I hear you totally... the car has had the engine rebuilt and suspension/brakes all redone. But as I comb through it there are some QV ‘bits’ on the car I would gratefully revert your original if it wasn’t going to blow a hole in the wallet. It totally has nothing to do with the enjoyment of the car as it runs great but as you said it’s down the barrel for little gains really.

Ferraridoc likes this.
  6. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I noticed a few things you may want to look into.

The rear deck lid does not seem to have the same trailing line as other early 308’s I have seen. Could also be the camera angle or lighting.

It also appears the rear view side mirrors are mounted forward more than I have seen on other early cars. But exact placement could be debated since I don’t know if the factory always installed them. Others may know more.

It may be helpful to look up the numbers on the 308 registry to verify production time and maybe what you are dealing with historically. For instance if it’s a January 77 build date means it was actually built in 76 which has a different significance than a November 77 build date. Also helpful to know you are dealing with one car and not many cars reassembled as one.

Not implying anything other than it’s time well spent knowing the previous owners and sales history. It makes for some fascinating research and good story telling. Either way every Ferrari has a great story. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The rear valance look kind of nice

8. forzaforzaforza

May 11, 2020
    Full Name:
  9. forzaforzaforza

May 11, 2020
    Full Name:

thank you for these pointers. It’s evident you have a lot of knowledge in the car. I see the car has a mid year invoice 1977

Do you have any pictures that could help me understand what you are saying with regards to the body line and the side mirrors?

10. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
  11. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
  12. forzaforzaforza

May 11, 2020
    Full Name:
  13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I am not seeing all these problems with the rear lip, guys, taken from a straight on rear view, you don't see the slight "kick".

Let's see, most of my mirrors "matched position" on both doors, about where the driver's mirror is shown, above. If they crept forward as on the red car, they were trying to improve the view, If equally placed the RH one is compromised by the vertical mullion. Even when dealer installed these were to a "template " as they are pretty consistent.

There's a TON of rear exhaust valence configurations, but a four tip ANSA when properly set does not require notching the valence at all.

Yep, louvered hood.

As to the front fender lights, they are just larger than the typical Euro "signal repeaters" yet smaller than the four North American running lights. Is there a country in the Euro Market that would have required something different??

Nice early steel Euro to my eye...

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sorry just realizing the FORWARD placed mirror is on the driver's side this car.
    That makes no sense to me, sight line actually worse??

Carefully investigate the mounting, as some point Ferrari DID put in threaded inserts in the door to provide mirror positioning. It wasn't years of running around with TEK screws....:p

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Same with the fender repeaters, see if those change be changed back to round jewels.

The North American style have the round circle cut AND two holes for stud mounting bolts...:)

16. forzaforzaforza

May 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Maybe rhd/lhd cars have different mirror positioning?

17. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #17 Newman, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
    Those front side marker lights are factory as far as I know but market specific. Ive seen them on Japanese cars, not to say yours weren't added. I would do more research before filling them in. The rear valance is one piece so I would remove the add on stuff and see if the original single outlet has been filled in. The hood is an easy swap. The front grill openings are all the same. The QV got 4 horizontal slats with a thinner bumper, carb car had 3 horizontal slats. You can buy a replacement muffler from Quicksilver in the UK.

I believe you'll see those marker lights in Blumel's Original V8 Book.

miketuason likes this.
  18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    How do you figure that?

All someone had to do was swap bonnets.

19. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

20. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The guy with the Influenzo thing on YouTube has a single exhaust '77 in the UK that he wants to convert to quad. Hook up with him he has a thread here on fchat.

JuLiTrO likes this.
  21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    BigTex likes this.
  22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Then he needs a slap.

23. forzaforzaforza

May 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Is this a QV car or a early carb car?

I checked the mirrors and they look we per it should be.

the side indicators I am still a bit mystified whether they are supposed to be the circular type or the rectangle type, or if they are the incorrectly the rectangle type, if there can be an easy way to fill in some small holes and get the circular one to fit rather than going through a whole front clam

some rear valences have these weird lights hanging off either side of them, not sure if it’s a euro or US thing.

24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Oh for a long time they were considered "Dealer installed" to the first owner's seat placement, so a small guy seat forward would be totally different from a tall guy at the rear of the seat rails. But I have never seen that much varience in placement, myself.

The I once replaced a door after damage and the newer (later) door had the two threaded inserts to position it (although it was used)...it was a later door because the door lock escutcheon fit flush, not surface. No idea what year that change occurred.

25. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The independent Reverse light is a VERY early Euro feature, as the cars with it do NOT have a white inner lens in the amber turn signals!