Cali T as a daily? | FerrariChat

Cali T as a daily?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Dseig001, May 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dseig001

Dseig001 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 21, 2017
    Hey guys,

Proud F430 owner here. Thinking about picking up at 2016 Cali T with 14K miles, fresh tires - as a daily driver.

Any issues I should know about? Am I crazy? I want to take this grand tourer and drive it to work.

Any big issues I should be looking for?

2. DavidPutty

DavidPutty Karting

Jan 19, 2020
    Del Boca Vista
    I'm a city dweller that uses public transit and/or a bike as daily drivers but wouldn't hesitate to use my Cali T. My biggest worry is parking lot dings and potholes. As long as it's certified with warranty you should be fine. Probably has a portion of the 7 year free maintenance left. It's a comfortable, powerful and great handling car.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Lots of people seem to pile up miles on all generations of Cali. I don't commute with my '11, but after 4 years I've driven it under all scenarios, and it's come through with flying colors. If anything, the evidence herein F-chat seems to suggest that they're more reliable the more usage they get...T

whatheheck likes this.
  4. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    My 2016 has been trouble free.
    Not a daily driver but have used it frequently during the week.

whatheheck likes this.
  5. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I had a 2010 Cali, put probably 10k miles on her in the year. Had a Ghibli as a daily, barely used it.

pwrbrkr38 likes this.
  6. Dseig001

Dseig001 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 21, 2017
    Driving a Quattroporte GTS as my daily, it’s just too big

7. PROV

PROV Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Middlesbrough, UK
    I use mine to commute (I'd say about 2 days a week).. Its great. Its not too hard at all, not too low on the front for speed bumps etc..
    The only thing that is a bit negative is the carbon brake feel.. bit weird feeling in traffic but that's minor

8. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    Only issue I see is the auto start/stop if you are in Europe. I keep it switched off. Somehow Cali T's battery seems to be not not really on par with many start stops during heavy traffic.

tomc likes this.
  9. ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25 Rookie

Nov 25, 2019
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrew Drummond
    whatheheck likes this.
  10. Dseig001

Dseig001 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 21, 2017
    Thanks Andrew!

I’m going to see the car on Wednesday, if it all is good, I’ll pull the trigger - any big issues I should look out for?

11. ARDrummond25

ARDrummond25 Rookie

Nov 25, 2019
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrew Drummond
    I don’t think there’s anything specific to the Cali T to look out for, just normal used car purchasing stuff. I would say the one thing I underestimated would be how much noise a hard top convertible makes (squeaks, rattles, etc.) compared to a fixed roof car. For an out of warranty car, it’s such a pain to chase those rattles down and stop them. I definitely could’ve paid closer attention to that when I bought mine.

The Cali T is meant to rack up miles, so from an ownership point of view, it’s not much more complicated than buying and owning a BMW or Mercedes.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. MTIMMY

MTIMMY Rookie

May 7, 2020
    SFO
    Full Name:
    TIMMY MA
    Just purchased a 2011 California and waiting for it to arrive from AZ to CA, ... planning to drive it as much as I like. California isn't a rare model that will go up in price over the year... so, why let it sit.. but not enjoy it... heck .its cheaper than my Model X

13. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Put 18k miles on my 13 Cali 30 in just over 3 years. Just one dead battery. Otherwise a joy to enjoy:) completely reliable. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

whatheheck likes this.