For Sale - 1978 308GTS - Yellow! | FerrariChat

For Sale 1978 308GTS - Yellow!

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by Mcorrallo, Apr 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mcorrallo

Mcorrallo Karting

Jan 28, 2014
    1978 Ferrari 308GTS. 36K miles. Yellow with black interior. Solid #3+ condition. Two owners since 2006 and all service records since then. I have owned it for six years and put about 3,000 miles on it. Recent major service by Ferrari expert Patrick Ottis in Berkeley. He has got it dialed in and running very well as evidenced by the recent videos. Compression numbers are excellent. However, he does recommend the carbs be cleaned and rebuilt for better performance.

The car sputters and pops a bit when cold but smooths out after about five minutes. Cam belts were replaced six years and 3,000 miles ago so some would feel that needs to be done again. Has passed CA smog in the past but will not pass again without significant tweaking. AC compressor was upgraded in 2016 but all the coolant has leaked out since then. I just can't sink any more cash into this car at this time so here is a nice discount buying opportunity..

Drivers seat shows some patina (aka "wear") but can be brought back to new with a Lexol cleaning and black dye. No rips or tears.

Overall, a great driver as is but it can easily be brought up to the next level.

This economic shut-down is putting me into a cash-flow crunch. Hopefully, I'll be able to buy another non-red one when the sun comes out again. The price of entry into this prancing horse club is $52,500.

I can email all repair receipts to any interested parties and you will want to see these as they will give you a pretty good idea of what you would be buying.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

anunakki and Keith Brown like this.
  2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    stunning!

3. Mcorrallo

Mcorrallo Karting

Jan 28, 2014
    Any interested parties can text me at 650-430-2010

4. Mcorrallo

Mcorrallo Karting

Jan 28, 2014
    Recent compression numbers are shown on the Patrick Ottis receipt. All good.

5. Mcorrallo

Mcorrallo Karting

Jan 28, 2014
    Codiv-19 motivated price reduction down to $45,000!

6. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    oh my, that will make someone a very nice first ferrari.

7. Mcorrallo

Mcorrallo Karting

Jan 28, 2014
    Just took it out for a drive this morning. If you warm it up properly, it drives great with plenty of smooth power. What I'm saying is that you don't NEED to do anything to the car if you are willing to put up with about ten minutes of warm up and gentle driving.

8. Mcorrallo

Mcorrallo Karting

Jan 28, 2014
    Sold it today for $42,500. Jay got s nice car for that price.

Thanks, Ferrarichat!

9. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    Ferrari giallo superiore!

BigTex likes this.
  10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Of course you warm a 40 year old vehicle up properly...….goes without saying.

Man. I am sad to see this news this morning...despite the early CATS and a little engine detuning, a '78 is going to always be seen in the long view of history as an "early car".....

Mark to market at $42,500.

I suppose that signals a pure seller's market right now, with all the turmoil.
    I would have bet a nice meal it would bring mid $60s.....so come get some seafood!

I tell folks " the days of $30K Ferraris are pretty much over." but this proves it's a BUY BUY BUY......at $40s..
    Best.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    "Tuned by Patrick Ottis of Berkley" had huge cred, with me....

Now, about those wing nuts on the airbox......LOL!
    New Owner: Fix that!

I guess the Belt Service held it back , but as you noted this could easily be a "Survivor" class winner with the air pumps and other equipment present. Well bought and I hope he joins in here!!

12. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    audi_328 likes this.
  13. Mcorrallo

Mcorrallo Karting

Jan 28, 2014
    Car is getting picked up today and I’m feeling pangs of regret. It’s been six good years and now I do not own a Ferrari. But Jay is better equipped to get this one back to where it needs to be than I am.

I’ve already started looking for a 1984 or 1985 308 replacement. PM if you have a lead.

14. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Did the sun come back out? I thought you said you were waiting for the sun to come back out and you are selling because of economic strife. Strange post for me to understand.

15. Mcorrallo

Mcorrallo Karting

Jan 28, 2014
    Well...looking and buying are two different things. I probably should not pull the trigger on anything until the world settles into place a bit.

16. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    i understand your conundrum
    looks like a great time to buy as there are going to be some distress sales(look at your sale, a good 308 for $42,500 is a great purchase, but not a great sale)
    when we can least take advantage of an opportunity is the very time to take advantage if you can.

17. Mcorrallo

Mcorrallo Karting

Jan 28, 2014
    I sold it too cheap but it does need some work and I can't do anything myself. At Patrick Ottis' shop, it was sitting next to a $10,000,000 Ferrari. I observed that his labor rate is the same regardless of which of the two cars he was working on and he agreed. He recommended a 360 as a less-troublesome alternative. I guess I would consider that as long as it was gated.

jjmalez likes this.
  18. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Several years ago I was seriously looking at a Mondial Coupe in the suburbs of Chicago. A five year major service was 20% the price of the car. That's before the "and while you're at it" extras.

Joe

19. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Yeah, Mark and I discussed this while negotiating a price. This is the type of car that makes the most sense if you are in a position to do much of the work yourself. Been almost 20 years since I've shoe horned my 6'3" frame into a 308. My 308GT4 was purchased strictly for the headroom, and I wound up loving the car and restoring it into a Platino winner. This is the driver car, so I'll rebuild he carbs, do a major service, new rubber and interior recondition, and drive the hell out of it! For me nothing sounds as good as four Weber carbs behind your head!

Sergio Tavares and miketuason like this.
  20. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Jay, congrats on your new baby!

Sergio Tavares likes this.