Fusebox | FerrariChat

Fusebox

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by greatscott73, May 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    The dreaded day has finally arrived. Went out to start the 87 3.2 yesterday and got the strong starter turnover but no start. Got out and wiggled the fuel pump connector to the fuse box, and she fired right up. Figure I might as well do it right and change out the whole box. I see three options out there: The GT Parts rebuild, the Dave Helm version, and our own Guido, though I am having trouble getting in touch with him.
    Any pros and cons on any of these three options would be appreciated. I've always read good things about Scuderia Rampante, but the price is quite a bit higher. Is it worth the difference?
    Thanks for any and all advice.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    #2 JLF, May 12, 2020
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
    They’re probably all good but I think for sure the Scuderia model is on another level. I’ve spoken to people that said the GT one can take a long time to get back. Dave Helms told me that the T fuse box had around 17 different points of failure and he addressed all of them in his build. But yea, it’s pricey.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Guido gets my vote. It’s a pain to do all the wire mods but I think it’s a great board and a permanent fix. When I took my old board out and examined the back of it I was amazed it worked at all.

4. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Yeah, I'm about there now. I guess I'll keep trying to find him.

5. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    could you expand on the wiring mods? Not quite sure what I’m getting into here. Thanks!

6. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    There’s a few circuits that Ferrari routed thru the board that are not fused, so the fuse board is being used as a connector. So those connections can be made outside the fuse box. Simple but I’m sure it helps cut down on heat. Did you read the install manual on the site? Like I said, pain in the back to lean over car making terminal ends for what seemed an eternity.

7. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    haven’t seen an instal manual. That would certainly help. Can you point me in that direction? Much appreciated!

ronfrohock likes this.
  8. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Thank you! That helps immensely!

9. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    I used GT Car Parts, Ross Young 623-780-2200 and had a very favorable outcome. We mailed him the board (like a core) and he sent back a new rebuilt unit with better silicone board and connections. I also had him replace all the fuses and relays and the white plastic connector bar you show in your photo can be bought to fix the burned connection points. Super knowledgeable very professional!

greatscott73 likes this.
  10. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Thanks for all the replies. I sent mine to GT this morning after talking to Ross yesterday. I'm sure Guido's product is completely first class and a giant upgrade, but the thought of reclipping all of those wires just didn't appeal to me, though the gained advantages are apparent.
    Some new clips and a new white connector for the inside connection are also in the works.
    I was amazed just how well things tended to work in my car after taking the old board apart for an autopsy. Complete de-lamination of all layers and several slightly burned solder joints were apparent. And of course, the fuel pump connection was complete toast.
    Here's hoping for another relatively trouble free 33 years!

11. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Get in touch with @stekkefun4 as he has the fuse boards also from Guido on his website.
    www.redbaycars.com

IMHO the fusebox of Guido is the better choice. it replaces the whole fusebox. Else you will stay with a (partially) delaminated fusebox. I have one too and I got rid of some other stuff too. sooner or later you will need to change it anyways.

12. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I see Bill gave you already the exact URL..

13. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    After much discussion with the people at GT, I can't figure out how I would still end up with a delaminated board. They told me the board is made brand new from a more modern based material, unless I'm missing something. As mentioned, it was the thought of having to change all those connectors with 65 year old arthritic hands and eyesight that ain't what it used to be that made me rethink the box from Guido. I'm sure he makes a great product, but I was looking for more of a "plug and play" option. Thanks for your advice. Who knows, may end up there yet!

14. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Ah ok then you are right when you get a new fuseboard. I though you mentioned the additional Fusebox placement which sure helps with these burned connectors, but the old Fusebox stays in place. If you retire also the old fuseboard its perfect!

15. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Spent the last few days installing the new GT Car Parts box. Turnaround time on the piece was less than a week, not including shipping time. They got my old one on Tuesday and sent out the new one on Friday.
    Since the old white connector was pretty well toasted, had GT supply me with a new one along with a few new metal female clips. Some of the old connections were looking rather haggard, so crimped on the fresh pieces. All seems to work as designed.
    In a rather odd coincidence, the original battery cut off switch picked this time to go to its final reward. Luckily for my sanity, it locked up in the full ON position, so I didn't spend time and effort wondering why my new board was powerless. Using a ten dollar Amazon replacement until I can source an original, or I may eventually just ground the negative cable to the frame and be done with it.
    Some times these old girls have a bit of a mean streak!

16. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    They have their character :)

I would leave a cut off switch inplace since it is a tight space in there where the battery is located. You will easily tick the chassis with a wrench if you unbolt the connections. Als comes in handy if you put a charger on it without worrying to touch the chassis.

17. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Very cool! Any chance you have any pics of the new board and the installation process? My car doesn't need it yet, but this is on my list of things to get to eventually.

2cam

18. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    #19 greatscott73, May 31, 2020
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
    No photos of the process, but aside from the fiddly wire recrimping its pretty straightforward. (Buy a good crimping tool. Makes things MUCH easier!) If you look at GT's site, they have good photos of the new board. When returned, the board is already sandwiched between the plastic front cover and the backing plate, so you only get to look if you want to take it apart, which I didn't. I replaced all of the relays and fuses, so snapped them in place, then snapped seven of the eight wire clips into the box and screwed it down, which is only two snaps on the bottom and two screws on the top. The eighth clip was the one that needed a little corrective surgery, so took a bit more time. If you can salvage all eight of your original connecting clips, there would be nothing to it.

2cam[/QUOTE]

19. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Another helpful tip: There are three different relays used on the board, so label and photo everything before you take it apart so you know where everything goes during reassembly. Same with the fuses and the eight connecting clips. It is possible to mix the stuff up, and that most likely would not be a good thing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

djs308 likes this.
  20. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Sweet! May I ask approximately what you paid for it?

Nice work! I would replace the metal relays as well. They tend to stick once and a while being this old. I have replaced all my relays and half of the electrical issues were gone. Making 6000miles a year and I was a bit tired of checking my relays during a trip when my pods went haywire from time to time for example.

21. greatscott73

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    #23 greatscott73, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Yeah, I figured 33 years was a good run for the old relays. Cost about $100 to replace with new ones.
    The plastic housing on my old box had one of the lower locating tangs broken off, so GT supplied me with a good one for a $75 upcharge. Here's the totals, including a new white connector and half a dozen of the metal female clips.
    Box, with replacement housing: $1050
    White connector: $40.00
    Six metal clips: $16.50 ($2.75 each)
    So including priority shipping back to me: $1140 total

The box Guido manufactures and sells is a bit less expensive, and the Scuderia Rampante version is about double what I paid for this one, just for comparison shopping. I believe all three are quality products with their advantages and disadvantages. For my purposes, this one appeared installation friendly without taking a bigger chunk from the "Keep the old Ferrari running" account. Hope all this helps!

djs308 likes this.
  22. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Go with GUIDO !!!! 100%!!!!

I installed an SRI box years and just had to replace it. It burned up. I got a board from Guido and it is amazing. I plan on doing a whole post about it when I can get proper pics taken.

23. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    This is all great info. Thanks Howard!

2cam