Cam Belt Replacement Trouble | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cam Belt Replacement Trouble

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by NeedSpace, May 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If your water pump is 15 years since it was serviced, don't even think that it is "ok" just replace it. By the way, you are not looking at the "inside" of the pump. To look at the inside of the pump, remove the pulley and the impeller, remove the seal, press out the shaft, now you can inspect the inside of the pump which is guaranteed to be disgusting,

2. Stef65

Stef65 Karting

Apr 28, 2015
    reg Antwerp Belgium
    Full Name:
    Stef
    here an example :
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    Thanks again for all your help. I got my parts in a few days ago but life got in the way for a few weeks. Happily I finally put it all back together and started it for the first time yesterday. After bleeding the system I am ready to rock and roll. I have no more coolant leaks WOOHOO and the belts are working great. My first timing belt replacement!

I am only having 1 small issue, I am getting smoke from what seems to be the AC compressor. I don't think it is leaking coolant dropping on anything as it appears to be dry. I didn't tighten the tension bearing all the way as it seemed way too tight (you can see where it used to be looking at the shiny part where the bolt used to be in the photo below). I think to diagnose the problem I am going to simply remove the ac belt altogether and run and see if the smoke goes away. The AC doesn't work anyway so I debated on taking out the compressor. Let's see what happens.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. NeedSpace

NeedSpace Karting

Nov 23, 2012
    Bergen County NJ
    Here's an update. I removed the belt from the AC, I left all the bolts in place so I don't lose them, and the AC compressor remains in the car. Started up, got to full temperature and no smoke at all. I am not sure if it was the belt that was doing this or perhaps the compressor itself, either way, problem solved...for now... I think I may try to do a R134 conversion at some point.

5. cianfichi

cianfichi Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Hello Sir,
    Does your engine have "inner" cam belt covers? I'm referring to covers on the engine side to hide the timing belts. On my 86 3.2 one can see the belts and cam gears spinning looking at them from engine side view, there are no inner covers. I've seen this at least once before on a sale listing for a 328. The timing belts are in plain view, and it's kinda disturbing!! Any thoughts on this folks?
    Thanks,
    Vince

6. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I can only say that the owners or people who worked on it are too lazy to put it back on and with time the intend to get lost or forgotten to add it with selling the car. I have seen it twice as well. It's a bit of wiggling to put them back on when you do no engine out, but some manage not to get it back on, but if you miss both then also the would A/C is missing.