308 Brake Pedal Occasionally Goes To The Floor | FerrariChat

308 Brake Pedal Occasionally Goes To The Floor

Discussion in '308/328' started by Nuvolari, May 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    On my 1977 308 GTB I'm chasing a strange problem and thought I would turn to the F-Chat Brain Trust for help.

Occasionally when I go to brake the pedal will go right to the floor on the first application. On the second it is totally normal. The brakes operate 100% perfectly and the rest of the time the pedal is good and hard. It started last year and continues this year after winter storage.

I cannot get it to repeat with any regularity and here is what I have done so far to diagnose:

1. Visually inspected the full braking system. 100% dry and no signs of leaks or problems. The flexible lines are stainless steel and show no visible problems.

2. Flushed the complete system with a full bleed. Found no air pockets to speak of and the fluid (that was only a year old) looked ok.

3. Checked the thickness of the pads and rotors. Thinking that it could be pad kickback I am discounting this theory because the pads and rotors are very thick and you normally need quite a bit of wear for pad kickback to be an issue.

Outside of this the booster system seems to be working fine and the main vacuum line was changed 2 years ago. Also I cannot imagine how the booster could affect the hydraulic system it merely assists.

My inclination is that the master cylinder has gone bad and needs to be re-built. Of course I'd like a second opinion before taking everything apart. Any opinions or feedback would be most appreciated.

2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Bet ya first time that happened it added to the driving experience!

Nuvolari likes this.
  3. gigaleff

gigaleff Rookie

Feb 27, 2008
    Switzerland
    Yes, agree sounds like a bad master cylinder.
    I changed mine recently because occasionally it didn't release the brakes.
    For the 328 two different types of master cylinders were listed and first I got the wrong one- The effect were locking front wheels. So beaware to get the right one!

Nuvolari and BillyD like this.
  4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    It certainly caught my attention. I have been endurance racing for years and pad kickback is a very real thing you learn to anticipate. During endurance races I'll tap the brakes with my left foot on the straights to set the pad distance to the calipers. When entering a braking zone on the limit there is no time to press the pedal twice. On the road I leave a lot more margin but even so it is a problem that needs to be fixed before I drive the car any more.

JuLiTrO likes this.
  5. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Bad master cylinder seals. Sometimes they seal, sometimes they don't.

Old and hard seals are to blame, though sometimes bore pitting is a cause.

Doug

pshoejberg likes this.
  6. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I have seen this on some rebuilt MC's. Usually flushing the brake fluid will correct it. If not, I would rebuild it before you drive it again. You may need to make a quick stop and don't have time for a second pump. Safety first.

Nuvolari likes this.
  7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Thank you. I'm pretty sure the seals are original and there is no signs that the master cylinder has ever been replaced. I have already ordered a re-build kit and will not be driving the car until this issue is sorted.

8. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    How's your wheel bearing play? You mention kickback but not that you gave the wheels a good shake. It's an easy check before digging into the master cylinder.

9. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    (oops -- deleted because I put it in wrong thread)

10. gt500blue

gt500blue Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    GT
    I had the same issue this past month. I sent my Master Cyl to White Post Restoration to have it sleeved and seals replaced. They did a fantastic job and it's working perfectly.

Good luck. If you go to White Post, ask for Billy. They do great work!

11. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    UPDATE: Turns out it was the master cylinder.

I removed the master and took it apart. The seals looked pretty good but the bore had some wear undulations on its surface. No scratches or pitting but a tiny and gradual differential in diameter due to wear. I assume the master had been re-sleeved at some point because I do not believe that they originally would have had a brass bore as mine did. I tried a re-build kit along with a light hone and polish but struggled to get the master to work properly. Re-build shops were more expensive than a new cylinder with long lead times.

In the end I ordered a new master from Superformance and am very glad I did. It arrived in 2 days and shy of not having the Benditalia marking on it, it is identical to the original and a perfect fit. I'll keep the old one on the shelf to maybe restore sometime later but for now I have a rock hard pedal and no more braking problems.

JuLiTrO, miketuason and ferrariowner like this.
  12. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
  13. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #13 Nuvolari, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Post edited. Correction made in video tutorial in link a few posts down.

14. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Gt500blue did you check this clearance or just assume White Post checked before and after rebuild?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Always check the depth clearance.

16. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Do you back into the depth clearance by measuring the depth of the master cylinder guide tube from the mating surface and the height of the booster piston above its mating surface? I guess assuming both surfaces are machined flat and perpendicular.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.