Lost all gear oil today, 1991 Testarossa | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Lost all gear oil today, 1991 Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by PA32Pilot, May 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    4 post lift for the TR is not so good. 2 post would be much better - and cheaper

2. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    I know but I need the lift more to solve the too many cars not enough garage space parking problem lol

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #378 flash32, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
    I am glad you are making so much progress .. let me know if you need anything

I think between the post I plagiarized, the Wsm, part diagrams and of course turbojoe you got this

Your skills also of course help ..lol

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    These studs can be stubborn. Sometimes not even a stud puller works. An alternative is to sacrifice the stud and weld on a nut or a small cross bar you can turn the stud with. If needed being, weld on the nut / bar onto the stud relatively close to the aluminum (Without being too close!) hereby introducing some heat into the stuck thread and turn the stud out. Worst case you ruin the thread in the block, but this is something we relatively often experience working on f-car blocks and is easy fixed with an insert. Great thread by the way, you have a great no blame approach to this unfortunate incident that only Enzo can be held responsible for. Thanks for keeping us updated, you make me serious consider to swap my diff with something more solid.

Good luck. Best, Peter

Shamile and V4NG0 like this.
  5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    for me those are also toys - but also it is my livelihood - and I like it :)

and thank you for all the great photos you posted here. all is clearly to see :)

Zeff, flash32 and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  6. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    I'd like to know how all that carnage can occur without being heard somehow? Shamile delivered what he rightfully thought was a perfectly fine car. OP only mentioned he noticed smoke and pulled into a parking lot. How is it possible all that damage is done with no noise?

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you know how all is working then you would not ask now.
    there is no noise to hear - and when you hear it is too late

hopefullly you changed your diff already in your 85 TR? ;)

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    I'm sure the OP MISSED my post where I said I had an extra Testarossa workshop manual, as he was right in the middle of the first night
    teardown of his diff.

So I bought a basket case 86 Testarossa in 2015 from Ferrari Chat poster mouser57. It's been sitting, waiting for me to find time to do both it and do a belt service and diff on my 15,000 mile 1990 Testarossa. I couldn't stand it any more, I had to check to see what my diff looked like in the car I bought in pieces, so removed the back cover last night. Car has 61383 kilometers on it, or 38143 miles. I was pleased to see that there was no apparent cracks and it's totally in great shape. DOESN'T matter, I'm still changing over to a one piece carrier. Shamiles car had TWICE the mileage, and it is possible for these to go the distance. I paid 60K for my basket case car just before Testarossa prices went through the roof in 2015. I totally took a gamble on the car, and if it turned out the diff was trashed, I wouldn't have expected compensation from the seller. Whoever was posting the BS about Shamile having some fault, is out to lunch.

An earlier post was thinking some shop should reproduce the 'expensive" side cover of the car. I manufacture parts and have hundreds of patterns for castings. At $800 and change for this part, Ferrari is NOT charging a premium for it at all. Fact i think it's pretty reasonable. IT COULD be made out of a solid piece of aluminum, but with the hole for the input shaft going though it, it's a lot of work to whittle out of a solid chunk. Making the pattern and having it poured is a possibility, but NOT for an eight hundred dollar part, that a shop MIGHT sell twenty of them. There's some tight tolerances in the bearing bore, the depth of that bore in relationship to the flange that bolts to the main differential casting. Precision costs MONEY!

Shamile and turbo-joe like this.
  9. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    I have not and here's why. I've had my car for 17yrs and in that time I've been lucky enough to live near and get to know 4 of the finest Fcar factory trained and now indie techs here in the Boston area. One was factory trained when the Tr was launched. So he has 35yrs dealing with these cars now. I bought mine from a customer of his in fact. The other 3 are not far behind in years of experience with Tr's.
    Anyways, not one of them has ever mentioned to me 'hey better get that diff done as it's gonna let go sooner or later'. None of them. Yes they've done them over the years but not enough to raise a concern about it to me when I've asked their opinion. If I wasn't on fchat this subject wouldn't even be on my radar! I agree that it is good to do as preventative insurance for the future, but I'm not convinced it occurs enough for me to park it and make a new diff a priority. Maybe next at the next engine out. Not losing sleep over it in the meantime. ;)

MaseratiMike likes this.
  10. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Shims I need to wait till I get there. Paul said he has some and I'll take measurements.

What screws for the crown? Have a part number?

Differential BEarings, don't I need to remove the differential to know what bearings I need?

Pilot bearing is part number 103877?

Added flywheel screws, part number 201755. Also doing a new Safety Plate, 108662.

I am ordering a new drain plug because I cannot get the front one off. I tried with a 2 foot breaker bar and the damn thing would not move. I am close to stripping it and I'm worried I am going to snap it. King Kong must have put it on. I am using a standard 41mm socket.

11. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    No offense but Shamiles tech was damn good and he didn't know it was broken. The car was just in for a wheel bearing and there was no anomalies detected., It's a cheap piece of mind, I would really consider it next engine out. I am going to sound like a broken record on these forums on this subject.

Shamile and ferralc like this.
  12. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Doh! So sorry, I did miss it. Trying to read post and I did miss it.

13. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    I am not an expert and the only thing I know about these cars is what you see in this thread. Here is my take.

The differential was broke or cracked for some time. It was all being held together by pressure but the outward force was putting pressure on my left side cover. The left side cover has a lot of cracks on the inside and the external area around the side cover is grimey. Not oily or wet just grimey, it looks like road grime. However, the right side is bone dry and not grimey at all. You would not even be able to see this grime unless you removed the axles and headers and why does anyone just randomly do that. The gearbox was leaking oil at pin tip amounts through small cracks, it would never make it to the concrete because the exhaust is right there.

The internal pressure finally got to a point the side cover couldn't handle with the cracks and the side cover cracks got large enough to let all the oil out. The damage sin;t really that bad, the differential broke right where they all break.

14. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Thanks! All my serious tools are at the hangar, I need to go bring more to the house.

15. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    there's gotta be a way to measure <temp?, x-ray?, noise?, vibrations?> with a sensor.

16. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Ask if they will put their money where their mouth is. If by some chance it breaks, they pay the bill.

turbo-joe likes this.
  17. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #392 ferralc, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
    If you are not an expert, my expertise level barely tells me how to fuel a car!!

So basically you “had luck”Because only the differential and the cover were damaged?
    What needs to happen so the differential fail becomes a 20k repair?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    I kind of think the OP has a parts manual, but if he doesn't , or anyone else needs immediate gratification, this is a link to a REALLY nice parts book put together by a Ferrari Chat poster- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yc7s7jUUFpA8gLk6zi4LIsE0IEAzd3AE/view?usp=sharing

I bought one off of ZULU for NINE bucks including postage and got a really nice 190 page book.. Right now the ZULU book doesn't seem to be appearing.
    At MIDNIGHT on the night Jamie was trying to discover what broke- a parts manual MAY have been handy. Although looking at it, it wouldn't have helped him realize there's a shield attached to the left side cover, along with the input shaft.

19. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    R&P need to go as well as transmission gears. That happens you are $20-30k. Then you may as well do an engine out, water pump etc so look at $40k+

I am hoping I am lucky. I will be into this repair for under $5k. I need to inspect the front drain and make sure I get all metal shard out. I will also be driving the car and flushing fluid a couple times.

ferralc likes this.
  20. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

OP and turbo joe are rockstars on this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    That damn shaft, cost me 6 hours of my life lol. Not a single diagram puts it in the way lol.

m5shiv likes this.
  22. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    I am lucky o have Turbo Joe AND that he is in a different time zone lol. I only get to start working on the car at 8pm pacific, I try not to let it interfere with family time.

23. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Hey I think I deserve a little credit

After all I told you about the quill shaft and splash guard and copied post with detailed instructions..come on ..lol

And I stayed up till 3am to help .... and sent you the Wsm ..

Boy what one must do to get some credit ...

24. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Haha! Absolutely. That comment of the shaft let out the biggest fuiuuuuuuuuuuuuuu I’ve done in while .

You’re awesome.

Shamile, turbo-joe and flash32 like this.
  25. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Thanks I have the Robert complex from "everyone loves Raymond". .can everyone tell ..lol ..