430 - Exhaust tirade | FerrariChat

430 Exhaust tirade

Discussion in '360/430' started by Mario Jedwabnik, May 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mario Jedwabnik

May 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mario Jedwabnik
    I am relatively new with Ferrari, I cut my teeth driving BMW and Porsche for many years including a significant time on the track. I then decided to try Ferrari as I did not want to go to my grave and not have driven these fantastic cars. So I started with a 348, then soon I got the bug to try the next model and bought a gated 355, I loved the way this car sounded and drove. Of course soon after owning this car I noticed the problem with the headers, mine were cracked. I did replaced the OEM ones with Fabspeed and Tubi set up. I only bought the aftermarket ones due to all that I have read about the headers situation, and not because the sound these make. By now in the story, you know where I am going with this.Sold the 355 and moved to a 2008 F-430. Here to find out out that the headers remain a recurring problem with Ferrari. My fault for not reading up on this issue before the purchase, it was sort of impulsive on my part. Of course the headers were cracked, They needed replacing, but I like originality so decided to upgrade to the MK2 headers and leaving the OEM muffler. I thought that this would be the proper upgrade for my car and sticking with OEM parts from such a prestigious car company would take care of my problem. After reading on this forums many comments on the lower brackets for the exhaust, I decided to check mine. I found that the left bracket not only failed, but it was totally broken. I did not want to go to another set of headers so soon so something needed to be done.

I am a bit disappointed that after all the issues concerning the headers and the brackets and going back a significant number of years and models that Ferrari did not take this issue upon themselves and offered a proper repair. Capristo may be the answer for this, but I can't see paying close to $1000 for a simple bracket to repair something that it is a common failure with these cars. In closing, I have decided to remove them and go without the lower brackets and just use the banjo bracket for support. And just to feel better, I opened the engine compartment of my old Porsche and marveled at the way these cars were engineered. Love the F-430 but I depend on the Porsche for track events.Maybe after some time, I will develop more confidence on these F cars, but it will take a while. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    My local Ferrari dealer recommends the Capristo brackets with MK2 exhaust manifolds.

3. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Wait until your taillight falls out. Wouldn’t trade the F430 and Ferrari experience for anything else though. I did the Capristo brackets to help prevent exhaust manifold cracks. Suffering with the muffler white powder now and trying to figure out how I’m going to deal with that.

4. Mario Jedwabnik

May 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mario Jedwabnik
    Funny, I already did the upgrade. The tail lights are good to go.

AandSC likes this.
  5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    people here have had good results just removing the oem brackets and using none. sometimes simple is elegant!

cole328 likes this.
  6. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    I have a 2007 F430 spider...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    I have a 2007 F430 spider… Have had many Porsche’s , BMWs, and other fun cars. Including AMG vehicles. Despite all of the Niggles on this car, It is the most interesting and fun car I have ever owned. I wouldn’t trade this experience for the world. I just feel fortunate to be able to tell myself yes.. you have a Ferrari. And the super funny thing, is that my daily driver, an E 63S AMG, cost about $30,000 more than this treasured black beauty in my garage, but I beat on that Mercedes all day long

Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

KC360 FL and Walt Gamble like this.
  8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    amen, i feel the same way.

9. milanojess

milanojess Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    sf bay area
    hm the 08 should have the newer header? it's been a while, i recall the newer style header was much better designed and early cars got extended warranty for replacement. That might have already expired. These flat plane engine have quite a bit of vibration. You notice that the flanges are spring loaded, but the support bracket rely solely on its flexibility and is getting pounded constantly thus prone to break. Short term your mechanic should be able to weld it back ( a good weld can be stronger than before! ), then replace the bracket with "re-enforced" aftermarket parts later for longer term solution, or just weld it again if you so choose, and consider it a scheduled maintenance item.

You may also go to 458, which is very reliable :)

10. Mario Jedwabnik

May 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mario Jedwabnik
    Yes, that is exactly what I have done, but this bothers me. I would rather have Ferrari do a proper fix instead of me removing brackets. Just my two cents

11. Mario Jedwabnik

May 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mario Jedwabnik
    Headers were replaced recently, so I have the newer version. Thanks for the feedback. Now I have to make sure that they don't get damaged again, so brackets are not going back on. I will reweld them just to have them fixed, but they are going to be stored.

12. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Does the engine move a lot during acceleration? I know there were exhaust system cracks on the 4C that I own, and a lot of it was related to movement of the power plant. I installed a bushing insert into the lower engine mount to reduce the movement and hope that helps reduce fatigue / wear on the parts that were getting broken previously.

13. Mario Jedwabnik

May 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mario Jedwabnik
    I am not able to respond on the engine movement, I really don't know how to tell. Left bracket is broken, I agree with you on a bushing or some sort of spring. I don't want to re-engineer this, so I left them off the car. I saw pictures on this forum for the bracket modification, not sure if I can make these

14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    why? is there any adverse impact?