Testarossa Price Trends | Page 190 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Price Trends

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Dec 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Thread for me? Looking at your post history you spend 90 percent of ur time in this thread alone, which seems odd. I own a 512tr. Do you own a testarossa? Are you in the market for one? I see others in this thread have called you a troll. If it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck...

your comment earlier about wait until next year when x happens see how he feels - are you a trader or market participant by profession? You have strong views - so understanding your context is important as you seem to crowd this thread specifically...have i asked anything unfair, considering my friend bought the black car and i knew exactly what his views are on global markets etc...

if your substance comes from the fact your father was a judge at pebble, thats fine too. Just trying to understand what your experiences is, or are you another bradwilliams?

Gary Sandberg likes this.
  2. Jay R

Jay R Karting
    BANNED

Oct 6, 2017
    Full Name:
    James R 12345
    I’m sorry if my earlier sarcasm wasn’t understood by you. I’m not interested in your judgment or approval. Don’t like it? Jog on! Nothing further with you. You’re blocked.

ChipG likes this.
  3. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Im not going anywhere - i have experience and passion.

4. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    #4729 Parnelli, May 13, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2020
    Hot chicks and cold beer are awesome !

(Thought I’d lighten the mood a bit :) )

LOL

5. Jay R

Jay R Karting
    BANNED

Oct 6, 2017
    Full Name:
    James R 12345
    They are! Thanks, it’s appreciated! Got any pictures?

6. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

Careful, you just might cross us over into the "Pretty Girls and Ferraris" thread. Although, "Pretty Girls, Beer, Wine and Ferrari's" also works for me. LOL

Could also add in music, food, etc....

7. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    If it was white a lot more too ha ha

8. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Well Demuro is not exactly the Oracle of cars
    He also said the TR was only going up (when he was reviewing a silver TR at 160k)

BUT I completely agree with you about the rest of your post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Btw the owner of the silver car is in this forum;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Gary Sandberg

Thank you and I agree with you as well.

What I was suggesting is that I believe these cars will not decrease to the previous levels Doug DeMuro stated, so hopeful buyers prepare to be disappointed.

Will they go up, time will tell. But the prices do seem to be stable at present.

11. ExtraTx

ExtraTx Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This thread sounds quite a lot like the stocktwits TSLA thread. There will always be longs, there will always be shorts. Both have opinions, and neither will be convinced on the internet.

I was hoping to jump in and read a bit about the BAT auction. It was fun to watch. Dadster really wanted a testarossa in black on black. He paid what it was worth to him, and that's what sets the market. Hopefully he is in a good position, has a bit of time on his hands and has realized that you get one life, and its all about achieving your dreams, whatever they may be. He had an amazing car buying experience, it was really fun to watch, and I really hope the rest of his experience is just as good.

I'm pretty sure everyone here is well aware that whatever you paid and whatever you sell for, there are a select few who make money, but generally these cars are expensive to own and maintain. If you are on this forum, you are probably aware of this fact, or learning it. Nobody comes here to say "My car is perfect, all I do is drive it, and it's amazing!!!!" Those folks are on FB and instagram.

So if you want a good deal on a TR, 512 or really any Ferrari, you aren't finding it here. Hop on FB or IG and wait for one of those folks to blow it up, or whine that it won't start, or whatever, and HIT THEM UP! Because that's where the deals are.

12. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #4737 Zeff, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
    I wonder what that road noise is while the seller is driving the car on the video. Almost sounded like a whining noise. I hope that’s not a transmission problem. Not being mean but definitely check that out. More like a buzzing noise. Maybe it’s nothing.

13. bka80s

bka80s Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian Alexander
    I was wondering the same thing. To me, sounds like a bad shaft bearing; in my opinion, it is definitely transmission related but hard to tell for certain without an in-person inspection and test drive.

Zeff likes this.
  14. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    If I was listening to anybody in this thread I would have never bought my TR back in 2014. And it would have been a huge mistake.

If you want a TR, buy the one you can afford.

Now this thread is generally good for estimating value of what you got. For insurance purposes and whatnot.

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    amen.

16. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    looks like amount of tr that are for sale are alot less than 6 months ago

17. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #4742 Zeff, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    In the end some people give great advice and info while others have a different agenda or mindset. Also you have to spend the time on here and learn about the various people before you take everything at face value. There are many people on here with a lot of knowledge. Those good people here won’t let you be led astray. Look for the good here and you will find it. Here’s the classic part though. No matter what the price or value of the car you better have some cash because the general maintenance costs are not cheap. I can see why the maintenance can run 15-20k every 5 years without a problem. Plus anything extra that might come up.

paulchua, turbo-joe and Gary Sandberg like this.
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #4743 paulchua, May 14, 2020
    Ferrari 'Bears' should keep in mind that this is not a forum on "Jalopnik, Autoblog, or Car and Driver." which is 'neutral ground.'

This forum is Ferrarichat. Put another way, a Ferrari enthusiast forum. More specifically, a model subforum that narrows it even further to folks that are passionate about a particular car.

That's not to say that contrary views, even negative ones, are unwelcome - on the contrary - it makes for a lively discussion. One should at least have a particular understanding though what company is shared.

@Jay R , let me give context for any aggressive queries. The background is we've had folks that participate not from a place of good faith discussion, but namely, only to agitate owners with doom prognostications.

The easiest way I've found to ascertain where a person falls is by asking a simple question:

What is the 'fair value' of a 'typical car' that is 'overvalued?'

So with this context, I ask you @Jay R, what say you?

@ttforcefed knows that I've asked previous members this question, and the community found the answers to be very illuminating on the core intent. From ("I refuse to answer, to almost zero value")

Antonio Unanue and Zeff like this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #4744 paulchua, May 14, 2020
    One thing that can't be said enough is I don't purchase my cars as financial instruments. That's why I own stocks.

I purchase cars to drive and enjoy. By no means am I saying one is wrong or not welcome to see cars as nothing more than commodities to be traded.

If this is the case, as I asked above, then what is your entry point?

I've seen some answer devolving to variable price levels - that's when I truly know it is not the sound of the engine that gives happiness, but the profit one stands to gain.

It is just a very different mindset, not wrong at all. I think it would benefit members that have this viewpoint to make it clear. While some may disagree with one's priorities in life, at least it makes a negative position understandable to many.

For example:

When one says a TR is headed to 50K, it is said with no more 'personal' judgment then if I were to say Tesla is headed to $500. (i.e. I plan to buy it and then sell it when it goes up) if I were to approach cars first as a trader, second as an enthusiast.

Zeff likes this.
  20. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    In regards to a noise heard in a video of the Testarossa driving, I'm going to throw this out for what it's worth. I bought a 1990 Testarossa probably in 2013, that had 20 year old tires. WOW, it was loud. A drone going down the road. New tires, almost a different car. I did a DOT search on the tires age, and was amazed. The tires LOOKED almost new, as the car only had 13,000 miles on it when I purchased it.

turbo-joe and Zeff like this.
  21. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    People should be happy that the Testarossa pricing is more or less stable now. It tells me there is hope that I might be able to obtain one in a few years after some planning. I was going to pursue the Shamile car, but the timing was not right and then I became mired down in Covid-19-related issues (I am in IT management). I have a very well sorted '85 Mondial QV Cab for now which is a great driving experience. At least Testarossa pricing does not seem to be poised to blow up overnight. I remember when Countach pricing was around $120K and now what are excellent examples going for, $300K? (sky is the limit actually) Granted the production numbers are quite different so that isn't apples to apples, but you get the idea.

22. Gary Sandberg

I think you are definitely on the right track. I don't see much in the way of pricing changes one way or another for the forseeable future. My reasoning is that these cars are not leased and typically not financed (I hope). So the majority of purchases have been done with cash, which probably reduces any pressure to do an immediate sell on the part of a private owner. That, in my opinioin, is why the pricing will stay pretty much stable. For dealerships, as I have suggested earlier, it depends on the umbrella of companies and if the consolidated financials can absorb the losses at the exotic car dealership. For a small independent, more pressure to sell, but then I would be very skeptical of the condition of the car. My same reasoning would be with a small business owner who need to sell to continue operation. If the margins are that tight, there is nothing to spend on maintenance.

I agree with Veedub00 that if I paid attention to some of the "idle chatter" I may have been discouraged on my purchase. On the other hand, I was very thankful to learn about recent engine out service, electrical panel, etc. and was relieved to confirm that was all done on the car I was interested in. So, kudos to those in this thread who make a thoughtful contribution.

Lastly, and my apologies for sounding long-winded (can tell I'm Canadian, eh), definitely set aside somewhere in the order of $5000 per year for maintenance, leading to the feared "engine-out service". It was done on my car at 13,900 km and I bought it with 14,633 km. But, things do happen, so I am in the middle of a clutch replacement (doing it myself).

paulchua and Zeff like this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Just shooting form the hip, looks like 125K with 25K as standard deviations, going 2 either way we have a range of 75K - 175K

What was the floor on these? Absolute historical bottom of what ~50K? (for tired ones)

I would argue one should get in the 80-100 range if your heart is set on it*. Can it crash back down to 50K Sure! But if you were planning on selling it instead of owning it long term, then I argue your heart is not set on it*.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    20-25K is nothing in the Ferrari world when you're looking at a ownership tenure of at least 10 years...

Zeff and Gary Sandberg like this.
  24. Jay R

Jay R Karting
    BANNED

Oct 6, 2017
    Full Name:
    James R 12345
    Paul, either point out where I have done wrong and ban me or leave me alone please. I have only added constructive posts and don’t need to be laughed at by other members - this is what I responded to. I also don’t need my motives questioned. I’m interested in TR values and the economics at play that move them. That’s enough for anyone to play in a thread about TR values.

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #4750 paulchua, May 14, 2020
    Amazing.

I asked you politely, and with the utmost respect, what is your entry point?

I even made clear to say folks that "have no entry point" will show more than I ever could with any accusation. (so as not to 'trap/gotcha' you)

If that wasn't already incredibly civil and fair, I did myself what was asked of you 2 posts above.

And here we are. You just did exactly what I predicted.

Me: What price do you think is fair?
    You: It's a secret

ROFL

Fascinating @ttforcefed how do you smell these guys a mile away?
    @Jay R

You're one of many that like to talk about the inflated values, but when asked what is fair market price, get tight lipped.

I'll let the community decide what that says about your intent here.