Lost all gear oil today, 1991 Testarossa | Page 20 | FerrariChat

Lost all gear oil today, 1991 Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by PA32Pilot, May 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Not for the halfshaft...ignore my last post.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    These are for the differential casing :)

Shamile likes this.
  3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #478 turbo-joe, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    I ordered ATP screws. they match and have 12.9, also with a little shaft like the original and not with a complete thread. I think ( not sure ) they are the same as those for toyota flywheel. but have to oder 2 sets. 1 set are only 8 screws.
    they have under the hex also a small ring, so you not can use the locking tabs
    sorry have not the parts number here :(

can not use anymore. you may drill a whole in all heads and use safety wire

M 10 x 1,25 with a hex head is not DIN and only as allen head available. except some car manufacturers have others.

here a drawing when I needed
    sorry, writing in german because I send to several distributors

Attached Files:

4. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Have a new 4 Post Lift scheduled for delivery Tuesday and my Newman differential is scheduled for delivery Thursday. I will get the car pushed out and assemble the lift and find a way to push the car onto the lift. Will make reassembly a little more comfortable.

turbo-joe and m5shiv like this.
  5. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Can the experts make a list of components that we need to get in order to change the differential as a preventive measure not a repair??
    Differential
    Shims?
    Bolts?
    Like a Differential exchange kit so we can have it in hand when our engine out services are due
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Black oxide is fine

7. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    I have an excel sheet of everything with part numbers, quantity needed and price. Also where I purchased it

8. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    So I bought a NOS Quill Shaft and the seller just reached out to me and he noticed a slight glaze of grease on the gears and since he says it is NOS but it has grease on the gears he is going to refund me 50%. Well hot damn I can't say no to that!

turbo-joe likes this.
  9. jferrante

jferrante Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2016
    This thread reminds me of why I am apart of forums...love the help and support way to go OP.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

10. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Here is my running excel sheet if anyone wants it.

Attached Files:

11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

U already a veteran on here! Awesome stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Werll Im making another batch if anyone needs one. They'll be ready in 5 weeks.

c4b4the04 and ChipG like this.
  13. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Speaking with Brian, RifleDriver, he is adamant I can’t complete this without dropping the engine. He’s the guru and there are a lot of smarter people with a lot more experience than me.

I don’t want a bandaid, I want it done right. If I can’t do this job correctly without dropping the motor then I need to know. But if it can be done I want to continue.

Brian doesn’t think you can properly adjust gear pattern or carrier bearing preload.

Hoping to spark a debate and conversation with those more knowledgeable than I if this can be done.

14. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    I’ll post on the Facebook group. Think my post scared some straight.

bellwilliam and Newman like this.
  15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Well like I mentioned to you in conversation there is an oil pump in the gearbox that runs as long as the engine is running. If it was at my shop the only way is to take it completely apart otherwise take it somewhere else. You could even find the front ring nuts are getting loose on both the main and output shaft - that happens, Ive seen it. The nuts get replaced and loctite blue is used so I know they wont come loose again and my pinion depth wont change and my shifter wont lunge back and forth. So the question is did the pump move some debris around? How do you know if you don't check? Setting up the diff wouldn't be impossible in place but it sure wouldn't be fun or easy. I don't know when the major service was done but if the engine is out you start fresh at the beginning of your ownership and there's no doubt in my mind you'll find other things to do once you get poking around.

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    And the oil pump feeds oil through the shafts to lube the needle bearings from inside and additionally has little oil jets that shoot oil onto the gears from the side. Personally I think the jets are redundant and plug easily despite a pickup screen. Either way, the right way is out of the car, side cover off where the front engine mount attaches and the front cover removed for inspection and go from there.

17. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Engine out was done less than 2 years ago.

Wasn’t all that stuff checked at the last engine out? That normal maintenance during engine out?

I drained front oil and it was clean, magnetic plug didn’t have any debris on it and I put an adjustable magnet in their fishing around and didn’t get anything.

Not against doing an engine oil but that’s going to turn my sub $5k into a $20k service. I’m anal, I am going to fix everything and even things that don’t need to be fixed.

Every year planes go through annuals where are disassembled and inspected. I always find things to fix that don’t need it and I know this would turn into that also.

If I can do that in 2 years or so I’d feel less rushed.

Zeff likes this.
  18. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I drilled and safety wired mine.

flash32 likes this.
  19. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    brian is right, much easier when the engine is out
    but also poosible to do all when the engine is in, but a little more complicated.

good question ;) but as jamie has written nearly no debris on the front drain plug - so I would go on now with engine in. sure there would be a little risk not to check all, but when you like to check all then you also just rebuilt the complete gearbox with new bearings with more than 70.000 miles on. if those 2 nuts at the main shaft or the pinion shaft will get loose you feel it by shifting not right anymore. but I think that this before has been all ok.if the car would be repaired at a garage then the garage owner is responsible even for things he not repaired and they would fail later ( so it is law in germany :( ), but jamie is doing all by himself and so I would not care just now about additional things to do.

you not remove the oilpump cover for the gearbox during a major service, only when something is leaking or not ok.

20. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    #495 PA32Pilot, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Can’t really do anything until parts arrive so I bought 2qts of Mobile 1 and hooked it to a sprayed and tried to rinse the front oil sump area as best I could from the drain plug an 2 access holes.

No debris came out and I could only find very small particles of non metallic metal. I think it is pieces of the side cover. Nothing I would disassemble an engine for. All oil was drained through a cloth screen, still has some oil draining through so tomorrow I’ll see what’s left on the cloth.

Particles found in oil
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Clean out oil

21. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    That’s my line of thinking because I know me. I’m not going to open up the gearbox and not rebuild the whole thing. If I pull the motor it’ll be a 6 month project and good as new.

My mom is having some health issues right now and I really want her to enjoy the car a few years. I’d need to feel safe with her taking off on a 200 mile trip down the coast or to Vegas without worrying about the transmission blowing and stranding her. The next 2 years is what the car was bought for, I really don’t want to waste a 1/4 of it with the car disassembled.

Next engine out I planned on going through it all with a fine tooth comb. But if I can’t find a reason that it needs to be done now I don’t want to disassemble it and go ons fishing expedition.

raysur and turbo-joe like this.
  22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    aluminum is also metal ;)
    you mean for sure: non magnetic metal?

23. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Sorry yes. Non magnetic. Had a brain fart

24. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    You must use blue lock tight on crown bolts? Also is the quill shaft always replaced when performing this diff change? Or only if it becomes damaged? Is the ring and pinion also a big weak point that you have to worry about?

25. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    I am going to use blue loctite and see if I can safety wire the bolts.

Shaft does not have to be replaced. I am doing it as peace of mi d only.

R&P is at danger when diff goes due to debris.

Natkingcolebasket69 and Zeff like this.