cheapest 458? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

cheapest 458?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ross, May 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    #26 Sargepug, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
    It's sounds like it would take an easy $15 - $20k, to get that car up to snuff. That is if you did a paint correction, wrap, ceramic, recondition seats, engine flaking, wheel scuffs??, tires??,etc, etc. However, things are much cheaper the TX than NYC, so maybe you are right....
    I'd personally stay away from it, unless this is the most you are able to shell out. If so, IMO, it's not 458 time for you and you'd be better off getting a new Porsche or even a real nice F430 or few earlier models from the late 90s early 00s....

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Out of curiosity, and based on my personal impressions of the viewing, I ran the car thru Edmunds and got this appraisal, which should serve as a baseline to avoid overpaying for a "horses for courses" car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    The car is listed in the proper range, but again, I'd stay away and never buy a very poor example of any model.
    No 430 interest?! They are a lot of fun to drive and could prob get a nice spyder in that range. I drove a spyder in Monte Carlo and surrounding French hillsides, was a blast, not a 458, but runner up!

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    to be clear, I have NO intention of buying this car myself.
    i went to see it with a friend as he was musing about it as a daily.

and, as i said above, there is no point in giving this car the full 'beloved car' treatment you describe since it will never be able to live down its history or miles.

and as i keep saying, the thing to do with this car is to just get it back to even keel on some of the glaring cosmetic issues, and any mechanical issues that come up, and then drive the hell out of it. think of that freedom !

correct price is dependent on what the mechanical inspection yields.

LightGuy, Sargepug and Tamahal like this.
  5. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    Thats what i have been saying also ... imagine driving your 458 without a worry , wow what fun that would be.

6. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The high mileage doesn't concern me. What concerns me is the way that it was/probably was maintained. If there are so many cosmetic issues, I wouldn't expect it to be pristine mechanically either. An owner usually takes care of their car, or they don't. I have sold vehicles with 90,000+ miles that you would have to look closely in order to see a distinction from a brand new car! I never understood how a car can have all this evident wear with under 20,000 miles. When I shopped for mine, I saw cars with 1,500 miles that had wear on the seats, wear on the tires, and wear on the buttons. They also had peeled up and dirty edges on clear bra, etc.
    Not sure that I can cause all that damage, even if I tried to abuse it. So obviously something wasn't right and I passed on them. I got tired of finding these cars one after the other, I was in disbelief. After checking out all these "low mileage" cars and feeling lied to, I finally bought a 2013 that was privately sold. It had 4,500 miles, and basically looked like showroom condition. My car now has 8,500 miles, and still looks brand new (even better than when I got it). I fully expect it to still look perfect even after 30,000 miles, so I truly don't understand all these beat up Ferraris on the market.

ridege55 likes this.
  7. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sorry for the sidetrack on the last post. What I wanted to add is that 46,000 miles on the car for sale at Approx. $120,000, would have been a great deal IF it was in "appropriate" condition for it's age and mileage. In this case, I think I would pass, to save money later. There is no reason why you can't find a really nice example of a high mileage car, for just a little more money.

8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Having 45K miles wouldn't phase me, but I'd pass just because it's black. haha :)

Having a black car, if you aren't a professional level detailer, will drive you insane.

Ray

9. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    also totally agree!!!

10. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Disagree! I currently own 3 black cars out of 5 and have owned countless others. IMO, nothing makes a car look better than black. If you have a car the likes of a Ferrari, you get it paint corrected, wrapped and then ceramic coated. Just like I did mine...;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    At that mileage it would need a proper PPI to see what maintenance items need to be taken care of. If the brakes need replacement, that’s $25,000 for all 4 corners, or if only pads are needed it’s $4,000.00 immediately on top of the selling price.

12. Tamahal

Tamahal Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    TAMAHAL
    well we can agree to disagree. I've had many black cars and to paint correct, ceramic coat and full body wrap is about a 6-7k job depending on where you live. I agree the darker colors show the lines better, but black it just a pain to maintain. Your car is beautiful, dont get me wrong , i'm just really picky on the paint. I currently have a black 2014 Tesla and the paint after 6 years is just done...

13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Black does look amazing!

Ray