Has anyone changed an auto box to a manual on a 599? | FerrariChat

Has anyone changed an auto box to a manual on a 599?

Discussion in '612/599' started by Jonny English, May 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jonny English

Jonny English Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2017
    Poole, Dorset
    Full Name:
    Jon
    As per the title.

2. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    There was one that was done a few years ago, but they never managed to get all the electronic issues sorted out, so ended up converting back to F1.

I know of someone else who is trying to do it right now, on a GTO no less. I believe its mechanically complete, but again they're still trying to make all the faults go away. I'm certain if they followed the same path I did on my 612 conversion, that it could be resolved very quickly. The electronic architecture is the same after all.

The only thing that makes a 599 conversion more difficult than a 612 conversion is the interior refinishing. The interior parts aren't available any more (for either car), and whilst the 612 just needs a simple plinth installed around the gate, the 599 has a monolithic center console that you would need to create from scratch. If you're good with carbon fiber, or know someone that is, then this is by no means insurmountable.

There are various other key parts that are no longer available from Ferrari, but there are options for all of them. I can sort you out with a clutch pedal and gear gate for example. I'd love to do a 599 conversion if anyone wants to lend me their car! ;)

Illyria and 599_GTO like this.
  3. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Are you talking about #152979 or #160463 ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    No idea... sounds like you have a more intimate knowledge that I do. It was done by a company in the UK I believe.

The important thing is that its the electronic issues that have been the main stumbling block, and from what I've worked out on my 612, I believe these issues to be resolved. Would be fairly easy to test and confirm actually without taking making any mechanical changes.

5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Of course! How could I forget this! Yeah, this was done by Boardwalk Ferrari in Texas. For the coding side of things, Steve managed to get a bit of under the table help from a Factory Ferrari tech. Sadly that avenue is no longer available.

From what I gather, those guys got in a little bit of hot water from Ferrari for doing this conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    If anyone is interested, I know of someone who is in the process of making new manual 599 center consoles in either carbon fibre. Could do GRP though too for covering with your choice of interior leather if you want. Its NLA from Ferrari, and the last "hard" part to figure out for the F1 to manual conversion. PM if you're interested and I'll pass on the details.