Ferrari Owner Personalities... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Owner Personalities...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by joeyfrost, May 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Havent read it but def an interesting story. Some techs wear skunk works hats around work lol

2. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Thank you for your support, and yes the car sold at the Gooding Auction at Pebble Beach in August 2018. As I said in the Leno video it was time to move on as I had done more than I would have ever imagined with the car. We still live in Santa Fe and this past fall the car has been seen being driven on the back wood roads of Wisconsin by a true enthusiast.

You may have seen the car at Laguna Seca in August 2015 when I had a glorious two hours on track. Unfortunately it was the day after the Petrolicious shoot and the crew had another engagement.

Best regards,

Robert

PS: Joey get going!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud, ryalex, jm2 and 3 others like this.
  3. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    #78 Admiral Goodwrench, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Sorry that you have had such bad experiences, but the majority of owners I know are pretty down to earth folks. Regarding letting people sit in their "fancy" car. I don't have many shots of mine but here are a couple and I suspect that these youngsters remember their time behind the wheel.

Best regards,

Robert

Attached Files:

4. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Lol! I'm going to use that one!

For context, I've never spent a ton of time at car shows. Most of my interactions with car owners have been in the wild - parking lots, gas stations, mechanic shops, etc.

5. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I find the personalities vary by region and time. Time was, south Florida had a really awesome group of owners, and people were very approachable. Not sure if it is the same today. I think the more typical owner in south Florida today is a young person who is into the club scene / Instagram, etc... Here in Atlanta it is a fairly closed group. Ferrari fans for sure. Others not so welcomed. Mostly interested in going to a car show or restaurant and parking. Throughout the Ferrari community there are lots of owners who are jerks, and think of themselves as above anyone else. I would say it is the nature of the typically financially successful personality. It is unfortunate, but fairly pervasive. I would rather hang out with my younger S2000 friends than the local Ferrari crowd. More jokes, more car knowledge, more fun driving. Each person can find a car group with similar interests.

6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Unfortunate situation, but very accurate characterization in my experience.

7. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    I appreciate everyones input in here, I didnt think it would gather much feedback but I’ll never truly know until I take the plunge and become an F owner! Lol still on the hunt...

8. Mbelliss

Mbelliss Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Mark B
    Lots have spoken here, so you get the gist there are all types, good folks accounting for a good number of owners. I always say, just be yourself and don’t worry too much about anyone else. The fun part for me is getting to know a new marque via the vehicle itself. The first work I had done on my car I had the local Ferrari dealer do. It was well done but expensive, as you’d imagine. Then, I started exploring and doing work myself-repairs, maintenance, etc. Sounds like you’re handy with a spanner, so once you get familiar, there is so much you can do if you’re inclined. While proper parts can be pricey, you have the savings and the satisfaction of completing a job well done if you do it yourself. Go for it and enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. Retail

Retail Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Eastern US
    Full Name:
    Retail
    Thanks for the opportunity to share your experience from the videos Admiral. Fantastic!

paulchua likes this.
  10. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

I have a 1990 Testarossa. The car is so iconic to people that I have noticed they either leave a parking stall empty beside me or park as far over in the stall from me as possible. On the other hand, I wouldn't drive it to WalMart or Costco on a Saturday morning.

11. PhilMc19

PhilMc19 Rookie

Apr 8, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I don't post often on here, but felt this was an interesting thread. I bought my first F car in my mid 20's and would like to share my perspective with you. The owners seem to fall into two categories, status symbol types and people who generally enjoy the brand (some combinations). When you own the car you will be able to navigate and spend time with the latter category if that is what you desire. I strongly recommend the FCA. Maintenance will be a 3-5k in aggregate on a 360 and 430. 355 will be more expensive 5-7k in aggregate. (if you drive your car) Also keep in mind additional items that become more expensive storage, detailing etc.
    The biggest thing I can tell you, is do not let people know you own the car. People can have assets worth many times what a Ferrari costs, but a Ferrari creates an interesting dynamic in people especially younger people your friends for example when you get one.
    As far as maintenance, for myself personally there is an offset in cost to allow someone else to do the work, as if I make a mistake it will cost me far more time and money bringing it to them to repair the work. You sound mechanically inclined, I would advise to research how to do repairs and attempt. yourself, in the event you feel uncomfortable with something have non dealer shop perform work.
    Get it and enjoy it, The best drives will be the ones where you are the only one in the car and there is no one else on the road!!!

-Phil

tres55 and joeyfrost like this.
  12. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    There's douché bags in every car crowd no matter the brand they're repping.

Don't let one asshat sour you to the world of Ferrari IMO. I love working on mine.

up4speed, paulchua and joeyfrost like this.
  13. joeyfrost

joeyfrost Rookie

Dec 28, 2018
    Well said phil!