458 - Speciale Aperta - Time to pull the trigger? | FerrariChat

458 Speciale Aperta - Time to pull the trigger?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Alex3349, May 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alex3349

Alex3349 Rookie

Dec 6, 2009
    I am currently in the market for a 458 Speciale. Prices for a non-limited production car is crazy IMO, but I guess demand is high because it's the final naturally asperated V8. Fantastic car. That said, I now see Speciale Aperta's can be picked up for a "reasonable" premium compared to a couple of years ago. This might be due to Pista Spider's arriving at dealers?

Anyway, unfortunately I am not a billionaire and care about future value. I have a Porsche 911 and plan to keep this a special weekend car. So will only put limited miles on the car. That said I am not planning to buy this as an investment only car. I will enjoy it within reason and plan to keep it for 6-8 yrs.

Now my question. Would it make sense to buy a Speciale Aperta and where do you see the values going in the future. The premium is still big and I fear the car will drop in value like the 16M. Futhermore, I know its a limited 499 unit car but would it make sense to wait until Corona uncertainty is over or should I just pull the trigger and try to negotiate?

Thank you in advance!

2. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    #2 mkraft3003, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    LVP488, sampelligrino and italiafan like this.
  3. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

Follow the pattern. Assume that it will sell for less in 6-8 years. Why buy to enjoy "within reason". There isn't much reason associated with any Ferrari. Buy it if you love it and want to drive it, it will be worth less, so what, your enjoyment should equal the value difference.

If not, buy a 458 Spider, a 911GT3, and a Boxster Spyder for the same amount and run the hell out of them for the next 6-8 years.

tres55, italiafan and Autolove like this.
  4. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    If you care about future value, then won't be able to drive it much. It's likely, but not certain, that equities outperform SA's over the next eight years. If you are comfortable locking up that capital for a few drives a year, I'd say go for it! I don't see the value falling anymore. If I had the money, I'd own one in a heartbeat. But I'd never buy one unless I planned on devaluing the car quite a bit. It would bother me to own something that expensive that I couldn't enjoy whenever I want and it doesn't outperform the S&P 500.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Wikdstrate, Gh21631 and nmcclure like this.
  5. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    There is a 458 Speciale Aperta on BAT, auction ending tomorrow. No affiliation and no knowledge of the car or condition. But it will give a no BS data point on current prices.

sampelligrino and FFan5 like this.
  6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Thats why I haven't bought any collector cars, I like to drive mine not look at them. Maybe Ill change my mind some day.

Boomhauer likes this.
  7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Now at $450k+ you are better off getting a low mileage example in the lower $500’s. Esp given the interior of this BAT example.

uhn2000 likes this.
  8. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    BAT Car sold at $476k

9. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Even as a guy who doesn't do rosso I loved the spec, the Rosso Berlinetta paint looked gorgeous with the no frills interior. With miles on her, great example to enjoy

10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Was going to bid for a driver, but think that price is too high given where the economy is going to push prices this year.

uhn2000 likes this.
  11. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    She was a great example as a driver. I'm firmly a coupe guy but that aperta had some real appeal to me with the miles as a bonus. I would be surprised if the floor was much lower than mid-400s for Speciale Aperta considering MSRP/true limited run/last NA V8 special series yada yada.. not to mention the vaccine is coming from Operation Warp Speed hahaha.

uhn2000 likes this.
  12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Everything is going down. The only Aperta I have seen here down under has gone down from 1.5 million to 900,000 AUD in a couple of months. 1,500 miles

13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #13 Shadowfax, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Still way way too much, plus the color spec isn't exactly ideal. I can't see how a Spec A could be worth any more than 500 tops to anyone now. Those who bought them that ignored the odo and drove the hell out of them are the only smart ones. Those fixating about making a profit parking these cars up have only robbed themselves.

Ash Patel and MANDALAY like this.
  14. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    That's a properly limited car. I don't know what the value is, but I'd be shocked if it was that low. What's a speciale worth in today's market?

15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    It's only worth what someone is prepared to pay. If limited means applying limitation to the use to retain or increase value then its a bad move. So may better ways of making money than buying a car just to look at in hope of making a buck. Pista is no different.

MANDALAY and Coincid like this.
  16. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    For what it's worth, that car was reduced on Saturday to $899,990 from $990,990 and it was marked as sold today. Not sure what it went for but $900k is as cheap as i've ever seen one of these listed by a long margin.