Broken window switch? Sorry sir, not so easy. | FerrariChat

Broken window switch? Sorry sir, not so easy.

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by TifosiConch, May 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    The passenger side window switch broke off on my '15 Cali T. It's a plastic piece with two push lock tabs and one broke off. No big deal, I thought, I'll get it replaced at my annual service. I went to the parts department and asked for a replacement, they informed me that Ferrari changed the design and the switch is no longer made. They will have to replace the switch box itself on both sides and replace both switches to match. Before starting a frantic search on scuderiacarparts.com or exotic auto recycling, I remembered that my extended factory warranty expires in August. A quick walk to the service department confirmed that it will be covered under warranty. I'm happy to avoid the cost and glad my car will be upgraded to prevent future breakage, but isn't that a little overkill for a $50.00 switch?

2. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    Mine has broken twice even though hardly used on the passenger side.
    It is a very fragile part, it seems.
    Has been replaced under warranty.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    I guess that is why they redesigned it, tired of replacing them. Since they will be working so close, I'm having them change out my center dash plaque, radio surround and central bridge to carbon fiber to match my steering wheel and paddles.

wrs and SAFE4NOW like this.
  4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Now that's lemonade from lemons thinking!
    You guys still in lockdown @ the end of US-1?
    T

5. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    Yes, the roadblock is still up, turning away the barbarian hordes lol. It's very relaxing to drive the streets without the imbeciles on scooters incessantly beeping their horns, and without the cruise ships the water is clearer. Wish it could stay this way, but eventually most of us will face a bleak future without tourists.

6. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
  7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Looks like these window switches are weak indeed and prone to breakage.

I just purchased a CPO 2016 Cali T and during CPO inspection they found one of the window switches broken.

New part ordered and will be replaced before they ship the car to me next week.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. DavidPutty

DavidPutty Karting

Jan 19, 2020
    Del Boca Vista

My drivers window switch is loose. Was your car under the New Power Warranty?

9. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    Yes, it was. I just renewed it until August 2021 for the very reasonable price of $4500 lol. They had to inspect the car and do a compression test to sell the warranty, of course they charged for that as well. It does cover the convertible top rams, which my service advisor said cost far more than the warranty to replace and may begin to fail. My plan is to sell the car with about 6 months of warranty remaining(in 2022) , just like when I bought it.

10. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Well, predictably, the drivers' side switch on my Cali T broke yesterday, or at least, one side of it did, it's loose now but still working. I was able to order a pair of switches for $18 a piece, which is fine, as I expect the passenger side switch will not be far behind. But does anyone know how to remove the existing switch to pop the new one in? That's missing from the workshop manual.

11. DavidPutty

DavidPutty Karting

Jan 19, 2020
    Del Boca Vista
    There are two types of buttons - older pop in type and newer screw in. I tried ordering the buttons but old pop in style is unavailable. Only way to fix is replace both switches + wiring. Dealer replaced mine a few weeks ago. Not cheap.. Probably can do yourself but looks like it requires removing the console.

12. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    It looked like mine just snapped into place. The Collection in Miami still had a couple of the old switches in stock, but then I discovered I was still under warranty. I also found some on Ebay.

13. Akajak1

Akajak1 Karting

Jun 24, 2020
    UK
    Off topic, but the potential issue with the top sounds worrying !!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #14 SLViper1, Aug 30, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    There are a few of the original clip in buttons left on ebay.
    If you like Scuderiacarparts.com can send you the updated L & R switches with updated, screw on buttons for $668 + shipping.

15. Arsnlrob

Arsnlrob Rookie

Sep 25, 2016
    I have the car in for service now with RH button broken. I have the New Power Warranty but they said it's not covered. How did you all get it covered through warranty??

16. DavidPutty

DavidPutty Karting

Jan 19, 2020
    Del Boca Vista
    Not covered by new power. I thought about fixing it myself but let dealer do it. $800 installed

Sent from my SM-G781V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If you can get it covered great! if not you can get an OEM left and right button (not switch) Here - https://www.ebay.com/itm/164820788981?epid=22034207370&hash=item266015a6f5:g:8SEAAOSwbPtgfGhx (You may find a less expensive source)
    Replaced my right button a year ago or more, , pop out pop in button no issues so far.

whatheheck likes this.
  18. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Jeez, $250 a pair for $35 buttons plus $15 to ship. Made an offer which he generously countered at $245 ;)

19. DavidPutty

DavidPutty Karting

Jan 19, 2020
    Del Boca Vista
    Those $250 buttons don't really fix the problem. Still the old wimpy design.. Might want to just bite the bullet and replace with new ones

20. kd126500

kd126500 Rookie

Jan 5, 2021
    Does anyone have pics of how to replace. I saw the 2010 thread on a fix but mine is 2017 different layout. One post mentions pop out pop new one in? is it that easy? Do you just use a plastic tool to put under the switch and with leverage pop the switch up?

21. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    It just pops right out, but you want to be gentle so you don't damage anything around it. But if you bought the current switch that they replaced the old one with, it's not going to fit. The newer switch has screw holes in it.

whatheheck likes this.
  22. kd126500

kd126500 Rookie

Jan 5, 2021
    Thanks for the information. I just purchased a 2017 Cali T HS. Previous owner had the switch serviced and F Dealer told they were no longer made. As a result it turns out the dealer epoxied the switch, and called it fixed. Fast forward two weeks and the switch has failed with window stuck in the up position. Bay Area F dealer is quoting $400+++ depending on parts but looks like it will need to new switch replacement module.

23. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    If you remove the switch, you will see there is a square "hole" beneath it; pushing on either the front or back side of the square will operate the window. So if you pop it out, you should be able to make the windows work. It seems entirely possible to take the broken switch and rework it somehow so it will operate, which is probably what they attempted to do. Both of mine are loose but I just baby them and they work okay.

whatheheck likes this.
  24. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I got the power warranty for my 2013 California. The hard top and DCT are very expensive repairs, and the warranty covers these. A word of advice: if you carry items in your trunk, use bungee cords to secure them. Items can shift around as you drive, and you don't want ANYTHING to interfere with those moving parts. Make sure trunk items are secure, and don't stow items except in designated areas per the manual.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  25. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011