Selling 4 for 1. Opinions appreciated | FerrariChat

Selling 4 for 1. Opinions appreciated

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by pizzadude, May 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hello to my fellow car enthusiasts. ( apology in advance for the long post). I thought it would be fun/helpful to get some opinions and discussion on something I have been thinking of doing. I’m going to post this in the Ferrarichat 458 section and also the 308/328 section as well as on the Alfa 4C forum.

My current car situation is as follows. I have an extremely nice 1986 Toyota MR2 all original with 21,500 miles on it, leather interior and fantastic shape in and out. Also a very nice stock turbo 93 MR2 with 71,000 miles on it. Also in fantastic shape. I have Nero metallic 1989 Ferrari 328 with 26,000 miles on it. Again in great shape. And finally I have a 2017 Alfa 4c with 1200 miles on it.

I love all the cars each for their own unique reason. Years ago when I was a kid I always knew that I wanted a Ferrari. A 308 to be specific. Automobile magazine came out and compared the Toyota MR2 to the Ferrari 308. I was in no position at the time to buy a 308 but an MR2 I could make work. To me they were comparing it to a Ferrari and that was close enough for me. I loved the fact that it redlined at 7700 and everyone that reviewed it raved about it. I sold my 87 Fiero and got an 86 MR2.

Then the new MR2s came out and of course they were called the “baby Ferrari “ so I set my sights on those and bought a 91 turbo. Absolutely loved that car! I used to drive it with the steering wheel tilted at the angle of a 308 to get used to it. It was the final stepping stone that I took and finally bought an 83 308 QV and it was a great car. I kept it for almost 6 years and put 20,000 miles on it in that time. Took it on a couple of long trips. It was a great ownership experience.

Basically what I have in my garage now is 3 much nicer versions of the cars I had when i was younger and then the 4C.

The thought of slimming down and simplifying has appeal to me. I also have a couple of motorcycles, I own a business and work a lot. There is only so much time to enjoy the fun things.

At minimum I’ve decided to sell the 2 MR2s and will most likely be listing them on BAT.

This will leave me with the 328 and the 4C which is a fine pair of cars to have that compliment each other well and satisfies the urge to simplify a bit. To me the 328 is just a beautiful car, fun to drive and classic.

The 4C is really an amazing car. There isn’t a time I drive it that I don’t think “ wow....this car is special”

Here is where it’s interesting for me though and where I’m looking for opinions. I got to thinking...if I sold all 4 cars........ ( all are paid for except the 4c and the only reason that isn’t paid for is because I have such a good interest rate. I owe a small amount on it ) I could sell all 4 and get a Ferrari 458! I absolutely LOVE that car. I have only seen one in person one time I think but it sure did make an impression on me. I’ve watched and read tons of reviews. By all accounts the car is amazing.

Trading down 4 to 1 would definitely “simplify” things. I would have plenty of space in the garage that’s for sure. The 458 just seems so “next level” to me. I was set to drive one at the exotic car experience in Las Vegas the first week of April but of course that all got canceled.

That could have answered some questions.

The 328 is classic to me. Sometimes I sit in the garage and just look at it. The lines are so beautiful, I love how small it is compared to todays cars. It’s amazing really to see it next to a modern car. I’m also a big fan of the interior and of course the gated shifter. It’s not a fast car by todays standards but plenty fast enough to have fun and it makes a great sound. Plenty of places you can run it out 1st thru 3rd gear. It’s the car I lusted after as a Boy.

The Alfa....like I said it’s a special car. The carbon fiber tub is a thing of beauty to sit in and the driving experience is fantastic. I love the no power steering and don’t get it at all when reviews complain how hard it is to turn when going slow. To me its a non issue but maybe that’s because the 328 really is hard to turn at slow speeds so I’m used to that. It’s a fast car for sure but not to fast for the street I don’t feel. It also makes great sounds especially for a 4 banger and yeah.....it’s beautiful to look at for sure. I think the 4C is definitely a car that could go up in value in the future as they made so few of them.

So with those two I would have a great mix of old school classic and also a modern sports car.

Both cars are rare and you hardly ever see one on the street. I live in Indiana and have not seen another 308/328 on public since I watched my 308 leave my driveway back in 2006. I’ve only seen one other 4C on the roads here and that was before I bought mine. I like a car that you don’t see on the roads often and I even get that with my MR2s.

Now to the 458. If the 308/328 was what I dreamed of as a Boy. I think the 458 is what I dream of as a grown up. They are absolutely beautiful, the sound to me is unreal and I feel like I would be up near the red line all the time. That steering wheel is all business and I love it! I’m a huge Schumacher fan so I have to say I like that he had input on this car. The engine thru the glass is art. That said I’m torn between the coupe and the spider but that would be a decision for down the road. Everyone says the handling is amazing and I believe it. I wonder though is it to much power for the street? All of my cars now I can have good fun on the street without being a lunatic for the most part. I think the power on the 458 would be intoxicating! I would push it every clear stretch and on ramp but that said I wouldn’t drive like an idiot with other cars around. So.......awesome power but tempered with is it’s to much for the street? Also I wonder if the Alfa would give me 8/10ths of the fun for a fraction of the price.

Reliability seems like a non issue for the most part from what I read so that is good to hear but still I do worry a bit as I’m sure things could get very expensive on that car.

Suspension, transmission, electronics etc. My 328 has been bullet proof ( knock on wood) and The 4C has a good reputation for being reliable plus its under warranty for another 2 1/2 years.

I sure would like to hear what people think. Especially maybe from people that have driven the different cars. One thing I would like to say is I was thinking a lot about this before all of this started with Covid19. I still am not but I’m not sure it’s the best time to be selling cars and I would need to see how things shake out with the economy and business as it gets going again and what “normal” will be like.

Still it’s fun to talk and look and I’ve been doing a lot of looking!

If you read this far thanks for reading !

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    458 is a special and evil car, careful :)

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  3. Rostami6

Rostami6 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2013
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Amir
    You are in the 458 section. I’m sure most here will say go for the 458. And you will be told to keep your 328 in the other one. Do what you feel is best for you. The only thing I can add, as a person who has 9 very different cars, is that at some point you may get bored with only one car vs four.

pizzadude likes this.
  4. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    I can't read all of that...lost me at MR2. If the end game is to get a Ferrari the answer is yes.

Good luck.

SoCal to az and 3POINT8 like this.
  5. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hey Guys
    Thanks so much for chiming in. I appreciate hearing your take.
    I got a kick of “lost me at MR2” lol!!

6. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    you wrote way too long, buddy.

yes. get a 458.

sampelligrino likes this.
  7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I'd get rid of the MR2s and 4c in any switchout, unless the 4c is a daily.

Drive a 458 before thinking of parting with your special '89 328 with low miles.....

8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Go to 2 friends independently. And say the following.

To one friend- say- "Dude, come check the two Toyotas I have in my garage"

To another friend, say "Dude, come check out the Ferrari I have in my garage"

Their reaction should tell you what you need to do.

9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Keep the 328 and get the 458, then you'll have a true classic and one of the best modern cars - that's the way to go.
    It may be a stretch but you can do it ;)

10. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Lol.....yeah Man....
    I can’t argue with you on that one!

IloveGT likes this.
  11. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Well ...the MR2s are going for sure so I guess the really question should have been 2 down to 1.
    And I’ve kicked around keeping the 328 with it.
    I mean really yeah....THATs the dream garage for me. The gated shifter 328 with the 458 DCT.
    But Man the 328 is where I would get most of the money for the 458. I don’t really want to finance it...
    Or at least not a big chunk of it.
    I also thought of getting the 458 and keeping the 4C but then I have two paddle shift cars.

12. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    This is what the car hobby is all about playing changing interests and desires sell the Toyotas , if you can... the idea of keeping the 328 along with buying a nice 458 sounds like a great plan to me ... but going from 4 to one may sound great.. but for me I would keep at least one of your old favorites and then get the 458 ..and never look back...

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  13. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    #13 AlfistaPortoghese, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
    I can’t think of a single reason why someone wouldn’t get a 458 if they can afford it. Either to keep it forever and ever, or just to enrich your car history, enjoy it and then move on if you really must.

A car lover should own a 458 at some point in his/her life. It puts a lot of things (and other cars) into perspective.

Other than that, I’d advise to keep your Alfa Romeo 4C. One of the cars on my list with a very high feel good factor. Cool car. And dirt cheap by comparison to other more “popular” choices among car enthusiasts. Alfas may be lots of things, but they aren’t known to let you down in the thrills department.

As for selling 4 to get 1, I don’t see a problem there. Some would gladly sell their mother-in-law and that’s a 1 for 1 trade :D

Kind regards,

Nuno.