Our New Portofino | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Our New Portofino

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by wrs, Dec 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    It's on the left of the steering wheel. It can be operated with the left hand. Here is a picture. I haven't used it yet but it's easy enough to guess how to set it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

agricultoru likes this.
  2. agricultoru

agricultoru Rookie

Apr 14, 2020
    Romania
    Thanks for the photo, it's the first time I get to see it close up. So the middle button is the one to activate the distance control and then I guess you would use the toggle on the right to increase or decrease the distance? Is there anything else that is hidden somewhere behind the steering wheel to control it? I'm asking because Ferrari are so obsessed with putting everything on the wheel, it would seem strange to exclude the one thing it would actually benefit a lot from being there. In all recent BMWs the distance and speed controls are right on the wheel, you don't need to move your thumb more than half an inch and that's so usable on highway driving that I got addicted to it.

3. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Yeah, I had the F10 M5 and it had the controls on the wheel as did our X5, both were 2013 models. I don't know if the wheels on the back of the steering wheel do anything for the cruise control features. On my 812 they adjust volume of the stereo and move the song selection. I haven't messed with them on the Portofino because it's my wife's car and I don't drive it that much. I think if you push the button with the lines then that lets you adjust the distance for the ACC with the knob and then the top button allows you to set the cruise speed using the knob.

I have to say that the surround camera views are great, it's a massive improvement over the crummy backup camera I had on the 488 and Cali T.

4. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Great spec.....Love the interior Red....

wrs likes this.
  5. agricultoru

agricultoru Rookie

Apr 14, 2020
    Romania
    Is there anything you find especially annoying about the car? I'm about to throw myself into this experience and would be pretty disappointing to find such a thing after spending 200k... I'm sure the driving experience is going to be great, jumping up from my 300BHP BMW. But what about the compromises in usability?
    For example, I'm sure not having a heads up display will drive me crazy at first. BTW, love the garage pic, the 488 looks so cool from the back!

6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    #31 wrs, Apr 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    Well the garage pic is not up to date. The 488 got replaced two weeks ago by the 812 I ordered a week after we bought the Portofino. I would say that the new ADAS and surround cameras on the Portofino bring the useability up to and beyond the Cayenne and X5. We have a 2017 RR and I think the infotainment is better in the Portofino and 812 so that is good but the RR infotainment has lagged the other manufacturers. The positioning of the display in the Portofino is good and the cockpit is well laid out. I think the AMG cockpit might have been a little nicer but the seats in the Porto are way better.

Let me put it the way the Ferrari salesman put it to me back in 2015 when I first started looking at a Ferrari. I was in my 991tts at the time and he said, Germans build appliances but Italians build works of art. So I would say that the newest refinements in the cabin are definitely going to make the useability of the Ferraris on par with the Germans for daily driving. However, you still get the work of art and the sense of occassion when driving the Ferrari that you don't with the German cars. We had the HUD in the X5 but breaking a windshield is very costly, $1500 IIRC. Of course you don't even want to know what the Ferrari windshield costs but imagine if it had the HUD.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

agricultoru likes this.
  7. JotaEle

JotaEle Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Smörg
    The exhaust. Sounds like a botfly with a cold. It can’t have a steady production of sound so it goes like barking. Terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    He is comparing to a 300hp BMW which has no sound. The Portofino sound isn't that bad. Do you drive it with manual mode on in sport? That is the way it's meant to be driven. If you drive in auto with sport as my wife does the sound isn't so great but driving in manual mode demands that the RPM stays above 3500 which also keeps the valves open.

9. Cabernet

Cabernet Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Madsen
    Apparently ran out of steering wheel real estate for anything cruise related.

Here's owner manual info on Portofino cruise.

We've found adaptive cruise control works well in our new ride...https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/when-corona-was-only-a-beer.619067/
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

agricultoru and wrs like this.
  10. JotaEle

JotaEle Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Smörg

I've driven it in all modes and (please note it is quite an achievement to describe sound production with text) it would be kind of

.....uuuuAAAAuuuuuAAAuuuuuAAAAAAAAuuuuuuuuuuuuAAAAAAAuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuAAAA ;)

It's like an old dog barking, doing it unpredictably and irritatingly so.

XSpeed and uhn2000 like this.
  11. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve

Avia11 likes this.
  12. JotaEle

JotaEle Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Smörg
    Yeah, right. Under mid or heavy throttle it sounds consistent and constant, fact is when you are moving with light throttle, which happens when in city traffic. I can't go out and record a video of it under this domiciliary arrest thing we are experiencing, wished I could!.

13. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Perfect garage setup you have there, those are pretty much my favourite 2 cars in my stable, well I have 2 other favourites as well. Portofino is a hit, massive win for Ferrari. I love it and I do enjoy the exhaust barks, crackles, and pop - makes it entertaining to drive. I wonder how the GPF will affect the cool sounds..

wrs likes this.
  14. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Hahahaha.. yeah I kind of like it.. I can see it getting annoying but for now its fun!

15. Qdog458

Qdog458 Rookie

Apr 18, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
    I have the same setup Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

wrs and uhn2000 like this.
  16. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    My Portofino has been on order since 15 Jan 2020. Until now the FerrariApp just said my car was on the waiting list. As of today, it has a VIN number. Anyone know what that means in terms of production scheduling?

17. Y not

Y not Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    G2
    My vin appeared circa 10th April. I would not read anything into what that means in the current situation.

18. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    May I ask which phone mount do you use? I have been looking for one. That location looks solid.

19. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sorry, not mine, I use the Apple Car Play in my Cali T.
    Thanks

20. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Killjoy ;). But seriously I hope we both get our cars soon. The dealer kept insisting I would get the car end April but that was before the factory closure of course. No date now. Slight feeling of guilt ordering something so excessive in such times, but that will pass. Funnily enough, I ordered the Azzurro California too, with a Crema interior and Nero top. While waiting you may want to read the owners manual. I have one in PdF format, so if you would like me to send it to you, shout.

Y not likes this.
  21. Cabernet

Cabernet Rookie

Aug 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jim Madsen
  22. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name: