Dead short, please help! | FerrariChat

Dead short, please help!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ferraritalian, May 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraritalian

Ferraritalian Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Buddy was wrapping up work on my car and he was putting in a new battery. Says he barely touched the clamp to the wrong post by accident, barely sparked. Says the car now has a dead short. His research tells him that it likely toasted the voltage regulator.

We started out with an alternator issue on this car and the nightmare it took to get to it. The idea we have to do this again is an awful thought.

Any input here? Could it be something else?

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It could be something else, but it is likely the alternator. Remove the alternator connection to the 12V, does the behavior now change?

3. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    First off check the battery switch to earth is not damaged, take a resistance reading from the negative clamp to the earth side of the switch- by connecting the positive to this it has full shorted to earth through this switch and might have burnt the contacts.
    With alternator disconnected, remove the fuses from the box- connect the battery with the ignition key in on position- replace the fuses one by one and hopefully none will blow. With all fuses back in the box start turning on lights, AC fan etc to load each fuse circuit. If you get a fuse that blows or something that does not work then it gives you some where to look.
    If every thing works then reconnect Alt and see how you go.
    With a bit of luck you might have just fried the battery switch to earth and this will give u all sorts of problems

Sergio Tavares likes this.
  4. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    A battery switch if there is one, doesn't care which way a battery is hooked up. If you hook the battery up so you have a positive ground instead of a negative ground, none of the cables or switches are affected. Your DIODES in the alternator however ARE affected, and you popped a few diodes.Take Yelcabs advise and disconnect the alternator wire, and your short most likely goes away. Barely touched, barely doesn't matter- it's usually instant fail.

5. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Yep

6. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Agree with all of the above. But one good piece here is that the alternator (probably) doesn't have to come out. The diodes are in the voltage regulator and the voltage regulator on most Bosch alternators are both removable and available as a spare part. It's the (usually) black box on the back and is held in with a couple of screws. Maybe that's easier to remove than the whole alternator. Certainly should be cheaper.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve

Brian, super helpful point. I have a question for you. When I bought the car we thought the alt was bad and after moving Heaven and Earth to get the alt out, we found out that it wasn’t the problem. However, I still had the alt shop rebuild it, including replacing the voltage regulator. I remember researching it and seeing different listings different Bosch alternators, some saying the ‘79 GTS was different than others. When the shop ordered the voltage reg, he had the alt out and in his hand. But if I try to order a regulator ahead of Eventually getting to the alternator this time, I’m not exactly sure what part to order and from where. (feel free to insert snickers here) I did take one pic of the alt when it was out, but it didn’t show the regulator. I’ll post it here anyway.

My question for you is, can you tell me what part/part number to order and even better, from where that would be dependable? THANK YOU.

Attached Files:

8. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    i know this is different as its a 328, but just like others have said the regulator is changeable whilst alternator is still in car like mine was when i replaced my regulator and overhauled the starter motor on the same day, all these individual parts are still available to make the repair yourself for less than £10.
    328, working great still over 7 years now since fitted. photos for reference to help others
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
  10. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    See this is my problem. When I look it up on Google using 1979 GTS, its shows part #107396 for $74. When I look up the number 111786, the diagram makes reference to a 400 GT and shows the regulator for $26.19. Both for Bosch. Both drawings are showing the little both screwing to the back of the alternator with 2 screws. Not sure why this is so imprecise.

11. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The more I look the more confused I get. The picture of the square “box” that Brian shows seems familiar to me. All the searching I’m doing shows the odd shaped design of the 328 picture that milk showed. Superperformance just shows that too. I’m starting to think we will have to get it out first to be sure, then order a regulator/

12. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
  13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Take it out to be sure. There are replacement alternators that have a different configuration than what was originally installed. Unless you KNOW what's in there, bite the bullet and pull it.

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have always had better luck in repairing the alternator, that is damaged than going in search of a new unit.

I'm pretty fast at getting it out too....sometimes I drop the engine mount bolts and raise it for clearance..

15. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Actually, that is absolutely true. There's no guarantee that the original part will fit whatever you have now. It comes out in just a minute after you get to it. Do disconnect the battery before pulling it out.

16. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    ... and connect it up CAREFULLY when you put it back ...

Saabguy likes this.
  17. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hmmm... and apparently that regulator box in the back of the alternator that might have been SO convenient is blocked by the alternator heat shield.

18. Milkshaker0007

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    just a bolt to undo from the shield/manifold(header) to remove which you will have to feel as i don't think you can actually see it.
    ---just one and that's it, you will have full access to remove black rear cover on alternator and then two screws to remove the the regulator and order the correct one. easy job. keep going your so much closer now OR you could remove the whole unit again :)
    if i was close i'd do it for you :)
    post up a picture of the regulator when removed so we can see what type is in there.
    cheers
    paul

19. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
  20. Milkshaker0007

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
  21. Milkshaker0007

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    these videos from Martin are great-Westronicslrl
    this one to re build starter motor (ours-various-Bosch) if links don't work just copy and paste

alternator re build (just bushes)

in more detail you get the idea

There are many more, just plough through them at your leisure, once you've re built one starter motor/alternator they are all the same, just slight variations.

all these videos on Martins site are great tutorials and step by step re build guides https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTDErideqzqIZgWYgK-TMkQ

He did have an EBAY shop selling all the parts, not sure if its still there though.

Ferraritalian and thorn like this.
  22. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    If you've disconnected the alternator, you should no longer have the dead short. If you do,the problem is elsewhere.

23. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Alternator shop says diodes are bad and he can’t get them. Taking it to another shop who Ive had good luck with.

24. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Steve, you can call this guy who specializes in Bosch alternators and starters... This guy Dean rebuilt my alternator about 6 months ago, he may have the parts that you're looking for... Good luck!

http://deansautoelectrical.com/

Sergio Tavares and Ferraritalian like this.
  25. Ferraritalian

Jan 19, 2019
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Rob, thanks very much for the suggestion. Today I’m taking the alt back to the place who rebuilt it last Spring, hoping that they can get it done. Failing that, I’ll look at shipping it out to a place like your recommendation.

BLACK HORSE likes this.