308 Fuse Boxes, Cooling, and Birdman replacements | FerrariChat

308 Fuse Boxes, Cooling, and Birdman replacements

Discussion in '308/328' started by johnk..., May 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #1 johnk..., May 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I though I would post a little about what I did with my 308 fuse boxes. First, in other threads on 308 cooling I stated that I have not had over heating problems with my 308 (85 QV) since it was new. I stated that the temp gage would rise above the 195 level, and peak out somewhere about 1/2 to 3/4 way between the 195 and 220 degree mark. I also said that it had been that way for as long as I could remember. But as I got to thinking about it, it seemed to me that when the car was new the temp never got much about 195.

So a couple of weeks ago I was working on the car in the drive way and noticed the temp was approaching 220. For kicks and giggles I took of the fuse box covers and touched the terminals for the radiator fans Ouch!!! They were very hot. There was a slight sign of the plastic softening but nothing major. Still I decided it was time to install Birdman's new fuse blocks. Order a pair and when they arrived I contemplated the task of installing them. They are well made. No problem their. But I really wanted to retain the original look and the fuse block covers. I decide to pull my old fuse block and see if they could be repaired.

When I pulled them I ohmed the fan contacts and found about 0.1 ohm resistance between the spade connector and the point of fuse contact. That doesn't sound like much but with 15 amps that is about 22 watts of heat generation. Anyone who has touched a 25 w light bulb after it's been on for a while knows they get hot. As the contacts get hot the resistance will also increase.

So I figured that, even though the original fuse blocks were not corroded, they were not the best conductors in the world. Nothing was particularly loose. The rivets were tight. Everything was clean. I also noticed that the fuses themselves were discolored and that the metal "points" where they make contact with the fuse holders were indented and in some cases the metal was actually cut through. You can see this in the second picture. Again, not the best thing for conduction these higher currents.

The pictures below document what I did to repair the original fuse blocks. For the upper rows where several tabs are bridged on the back side it was necessary to solder the tabs to the rivets. The tabs were also soldered to the parts that actually hold the fuse (shown better in the middle figure for the bottom contacts. On the back side I soldered the rivets to the bridge shunts. There was no need to solder to the rivets on the tabs that are not bridged because the rivets only serve to hold the pieces to the plastic once the spade tabs are soldered to the fuse holding clips.

Notice how discolored the original fuses are (from heat). The second fuse form the left is an 8 A fuse and is supposed to be black. All the others are 16 A and should be green. The third from the left is the fuel pump fuse. The ones that are still green are for the rear defroster and headlights which don't get used much (or at all). Thus, I also replaced all the fuses with new one with copper contact rather than the older tin/lead. Got 20 8A and 20 16A for under $10 off Ebay.

The result is that 1) nothing on the fuse blocks gets hot anymore. 2) The car can idle in traffic all day and the temperature barely gets above 195. 3) The windows work better (faster). 4) I presume the fuel pump is also running better. This is all because there is less resistance in the circuits with the result that greater current flows.

So hat's off to Birdman for a great after market replacement fuse block, but if the original blocks aren't too melted they can be repaired. Be careful though. I build electronic stuff as a hobby and I have quality, temperature controlled soldering equipment. If you use too hot an iron or hold it on the contact too long you will melt the plastic and make things worse.

Oh, if anyone needs a couple of Birdman fuse block drop me a PM.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Corsa308

Corsa308 Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve D
    I went through the same process myself. This is my second 308 and like all of them suffered the fuse problems and heating of the fuse block. My first car was worse.
    I took out both fuse blocks, cleaned up all connections with the Dremel and by this I also mean the rivet connections.
    Then I soldered up those connections. The original design is not that bad, but those rivet connections are just screaming out as a problem area. And the worst thing is that you can't see any corrosion or problems that lie inside those connections.
    For me it was a great fix, took maybe two hours all up with removal and to replace them again and there is no questioning the stability of the connections now.
    Did it three years ago and haven't had a problem since.

Steve

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    My hat is off to you for all that effort. The rivets are definitely 75% of the problem in the original design. The very tiny contact area between the fuse and the fuseholder is the rest. When everything is clean and new, you will have no problems. But as they oxidize over a year or so, they will gradually create resistance. I went down this road too...and I realized that every spring I would end up having to pull all the fuses and thoroughly clean all the contacts because something in the car was acting up. I got sick of it and built my own--which I have never had to fuss with in 7 years!!

I know Ferrari people are into originality, but they are inside the dash. Who cares? Do you have the original light bulbs too?? ;)

With all respect,

Birdman

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Also, I have always said that I have a money back guarantee, so you are welcome to return my fuseblocks. No biggie.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Grainger has a replacement fan that bolts in, and draws less than 10 amps, against those aging Lucas units in my '76- '77s.....

That's really the problem, along with the same thing at the fuel pump, the load motors are failing and not taking out the fuse, just making HEAT!

BIRDMAN ROCKS!!!

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Funny thing is I never even bothered to look at the fuse blocks before I had the 30k service. Never cleaned it or took the fuses out. As you can see the white block is in good condition. The black was mostly the same with just a little, minor deformation at the top of one of the radiator fan connections. But I never had an electrical problem in my 27 years of ownership other than shot ignition wires.The car has been as reliable as a Honda. Just rolled 30k miles over the other day.

No problem. I'll just keep them on a shelf. You do the community a service.

Oh, and yes, the light bulbs are all original and all work, except for one front parking light. :)

7. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    A recent incident, somewhat embarrassing and humorous, most importantly a timely reminder about basic safety:

When I went to get the 2012 safety inspection done for the 308, the inspection guy asked me to operate the turn signals and they didn't work. I'd checked everything to be covered the day before and all was OK.

My first thought was a fuse. I found the one for the signals, rubbed the copper ends on my jeans, and popped it back in. The signals again worked, and the inspection guy, being partial to Ferraris, put on the sticker.

I realized that I could lose brake lights or turn signals at a most inopportune time due to a bad fuse connection, and I'd rather do other things with my time than regularly polish the existing fuse and fusebox connecting points.

I'd been dragging my feet on a Birdman box and this incident pushed me over the edge. Ordered one on Monday. When it gets here, the car is going straight to Norwood Performance for the routine annual visit and they'll install it.

8. vogel

vogel Karting

Jun 21, 2001
    Powder Springs, GA
    Full Name:
    Charles Byrd
    Birdman, It has been a while, but you helped me once a long time ago with some switches. Can you send me a link to where I can purchase the 308 fuse box replacements? It is time for my 77 to lose the extra heater.

Thanks.

miketuason likes this.
  9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think this is the one:
    http://www.birdman308.com/fusebox_upgrade.htm

10. Prashant Jolepalem

Mar 31, 2020
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    PJ
    I had a 15 amp fuse blow for the needles on my gauges. No idea how much fuel I have left . I’ve been searching all over and can’t find any cannot find any stores that have them in stock . Can I install a 10 amp fuse in the mean time ?