Where to get used TR parts when new ones aren't available? | FerrariChat

Where to get used TR parts when new ones aren't available?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by EricJF, May 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EricJF

EricJF Rookie

Aug 3, 2015
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Eric Friedman
    I have an '88 TR that's undergoing extensive restoration at Berlinetta Motorcars. Parts like replacement signal light covers and in-dash vent grills are apparently hard or prohibitively expensive (e.g $5,000 for the colored signal light cover) to source new.

Does anyone know of a dealer of TR parts outside the new/catalog sources?

Thanks,
    Eric

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
  3. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I thought I remember someone posted that they 3D printed new lens covers? If true, that might be an option (and it gives me an idea for a new business ;) )

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

4. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
  5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    turbo-joe likes this.
  6. EricJF

EricJF Rookie

Aug 3, 2015
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Eric Friedman
    Thanks Joe for the suggestion! They seem to have 4 TRs in stock for parts...sadly the lens I'm looking for isn't available at the moment.

7. EricJF

EricJF Rookie

Aug 3, 2015
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Eric Friedman
  8. EricJF

EricJF Rookie

Aug 3, 2015
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Eric Friedman
    Update - I eventually heard back from them...and they can manufacture the lens. So good source!

EZORED likes this.
  9. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Also, GT Car Parts in AZ. They have been incredible lifesavers on finding that obscure part when others didn't. No one's been 100%, but they've been way up there.

Also, have you tried Ferrparts in Sacramento? This seems like a part they'd have.
    Ferrari Recycle?
    T Rutland?
    Tom Vail?
    Ferrari of Denver? (Big parts facility, and have had luck finding NOS stuff there. Prices have been good. Prices on F-car stuff has shock value now and again)

EZORED likes this.
  10. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Curious to hear more about this restoration of an '88 TR. Most people don't bother because you can purchase a better one for "relatively" little money. They just haven't reached the restoration candidate status of vintage collectible yet. Is it a special car to you personally or did you buy it intending on restoring it? If so, any reason why versus buying a better one?

11. EricJF

EricJF Rookie

Aug 3, 2015
    Manhattan, NY
    Full Name:
    Eric Friedman
    That's a great question that I thought quite a bit about before deciding to restore my TR. I bought my TR in 2015, and even at 30K miles it was in excellent shape. The black paint was a repaint that looked pretty glossy, except for a few minor dings and micro-dents. The leather inside was nicer than any other interior I'd seen on Hemmings, though did have some bolster and butt wear.

I decided in the ensuing years that a Nero/Nero TR was a car I loved long term and wanted a pristine example of. I think the design is purer and more pleasing than the 90's-ish 512TR, which I could have gotten if I'd preferred it (though I love the 512's Daytona seats). No Nero/Nero TRs I saw online over a 2-3 year period was really in better visual shape than mine - even lower-mile ones often looked worse.

So I decided that to have the near concourse TR I really wanted, I would just invest 30-40K in the already good one I had. I have no plans to sell it anytime soon. Hopefully if/when I do, the market will appreciate the car more. And the value I'd lose through a trade-in to a better one - if it could one day be found - I think would be comparable to my restoration investment.

Aside from an engine-out service and valve adjustment, I'm getting new leather inside, many body panels stripped bare and repainted (the repaint I inherited looked pretty good but had flaws a pro could point out), and little worn bits like wheel hubs and electric relays replaced. Otherwise, the interior, exterior, and engine are in really good shape.

EZORED and xplodee like this.
  12. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That is very cool and I'm happy to hear about your passion for the car. Just a suggestion, don't just get some panels repainted. Go the full monty and have the car full resprayed once and done so you never have to think about it again. The frustrations of having multiple panels painted at multiple different times will get old in time. Sure it's about $10-15k for a full paint job like I describe, but its worth it and this type of job won't negatively affect value at all if you do it right.

EZORED likes this.